1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which dvd player for VCD on CDR

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by dood, Jun 10, 2002.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have previously mentioned that I cannot seem to make VCDs from my DV cam footage. I used the latest version of Nero and found that my VCDs are not recognised by my Sony and Yamaha DVD players. Convinced that it was a software problem, I was about to try Easy CD creator when I read last week on this forum that some DVD players will only play VCDs if they are burnt onto CDRW! I played my (CDR) VCD in a friend's Pioneer DVD player and it played! I would much rather use CDR than CDRW so I need to consider the possibility of changing DVD players. Does anyone know which DVD players are most likely to play my VCDs. Also, they should ideally play MP3, music burnt on CDR etc.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Pretty well all DVD players will play properly mastered VCDs ( I say "properly mastered", because Roxio EasyCd does have a tendency to make unusable VCDs - it's buggy; however afaik, Nero always does them properly).

The issue is whether the player will play CDRs (irrespective of what is on them).

Compatibility details of all players (with VCD, XVCD, SVCD, and also with CDR and CDRW) are listed at www.vcdhelp.com .

As you rightly say, CDRWs do generally play OK on single-laser DVD players. Depending on how many VCDs you want to make, you may find it cheaper to use CDRW blanks. After all, if each RW disc costs, say £1 more than a CDR, you would have to make 100-200 VCDs to make a new player cost-effective.

3. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,841
    I use a Pioneer 343/ 340 which works with CDR CDRW and decodes VCD, SVCD DVD and outputs CDG bitsteam from the PCM output. An excellent and cheap player. (Composite and Svideo out only)

I have used it to play many of my own disks which I have made on my PC.

The Pioneer 444, for a bit more money plays MP3 and has and RGB output