1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which dvd player for Panny PV500?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hiran, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Hiran

Hiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya. I am new to this forum site. I have recently purchased a Panasonic Th42PV500 (ebay winner!!) and wanted to hook it up to a dvd player which shall give the best pic quality on the panny screen. The plasma came with a free panny dvd recorder (DMRES10) but it doesnt have a HMDI output to go with the screen. I have read all the reviews about the dvd recorder and suggests the player is excellent. But how good is the pic quality? I shall not be using it to do too many recording so i rather have a player that is dedicated to picture quality only. I have been reading the forum and magazines and the Samsung HD945 comes across to a good budget player with HDMI (replaced by the HD 850). What I would really appreciate knowing is from any panasonic DMRES users on how good the pic is compared to a stand alone dvd player? What dvd should I purchase to go with my PV500. I dont want to spend above £200 (wanna wait for HD DVD to come out!!). I want the best pic quality and think that HDMI might be the way to go. Please advice. If you recommend another dvd player then please suggest. I have been also considering the Panny S75 - but have been put off by the xtra twiking required to get the perfect pic. So shall i stick it out with the recorder EMRES10 or go for the Samsung S850 or any other? I will really appreciate any advice given. Many thanks in advance

2. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Sorry Hiran, I can't provide you with an answer, but I'd like to "bump" this thread in the hope that someone in the know may respond.

I expect to buy a PV500 soon and am wondering if my Toshiba SD-230E should be replaced. Assuming I get quality component leads, my current assumption is that the PV500 performs de-interlacing and scaling sufficiently well to provide an excellent picture with a fairly modest DVD player such as my Tosh.

My understanding is that there are many (entry-level) DVD players with HDMI output that do a poor job of de-interlacing and scaling.

So I assume that HDMI output isn't really a must for a DVD player connected to the PV500. But would other players provide a substantially better component signal than the Tosh SD-230E? Any comments welcome!!

3. Freddo14

Freddo14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a pv500 recently, and I've tried a variety of solutions for dvd playback, I tried my xbox with xbmc on it, which does its own scaling to 720p ( and very well too ) over component, I've hooked up a pc by vga, and I've got the es10 dvd recorder that came with the panel.

In all honesty the es10 looks amazing, I'm using component leads from heartland cables and its by far the thing I'm most impressed with. Watching lotr:rotk the other day blew me away, just the sheer amount of detail and clarity in the image was mind boggling.

okay enough foaming at the mouth, anyway in conclusion get some nice component leads and hook up that es10.

4. suhawk14

suhawk14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also been thinking about this to pair with my new Hitachi 32LD7200. I like the fact that it can do upscaling to 768p.

Can anyone tell me how does the 945 compare to the 950? Also, what's the 850 like and how does it compare to the other 2?

Cheers for the help.