1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which dvd player for my 32PW9617?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by markster, Jan 4, 2004.

1. markster

markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys - wondered if you could help, bit of a newbie on the whole av scene.

I picked up a Philips 32PW9617 set on sale this weekend (they were selling their last one) and was blown away at the sets quality of picture and sound. Now all I need is a dvd player to match, my questions are:

a) which dvd player would best partner with this set
    b) does this set support progressive scan
    c) what is the best way to connect the dvd player to the set (mix of scart and digital audio in, or composite etc., I have no idea!!)

Many thanks for all your help :)

2. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Markster
    a, what is your budget
    b, no the 9617 doesn't support prog scan
    c, You would connect the dvd via rgb scart to ext1, and the co-ax output of your dvd to the dig input on your tv, this would give you dolby digital sound.

:)

3. markster

markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks SamirP for you reply.

Budget is around £250. I recently saw a Marantz DV4300 on sale at Superfi for £179.96 reduced from £299.00 http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1683 - looks like a good deal, although having searched the forum I can't find that much info on the player's performance. Suggestions on other players would be great. :)

If I were to go for this player, would I not be best to use the component outs into the tv set together with the digital co-ax. I heard somewhere that component is better than rgb scart (complete newbie here so have no idea if this is true or not).

Thanks again :)

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm not entirely sure if the 9617 supports component input, but I think it does not. You'll probably have to stick with RGB, which is technically also a form of component signal, only it carries the raw primary colors rather than extracted luminance and color differences.

It would have been an advantage if it did support component input as DVD is stored in YUV form, converted to RGB by the player for output, and internally converted by the TV from RGB back to YUV again for processing, ending with another conversion to RGB before display. All but the last step would be avoided when connecting YUV / YCbCr component directly.