Which DVD Player for £200ish?

AVLeon

Formerly 'LWells'
Im eventually going to take the plunge and get myself a Home Cinema set up.. the problem is I really dont know what kit to buy, Ive decided on the screen and thats going to be a Panasonic PX60 42" mounted on the wall.. then I have the problem of amp/dvd/speakers so il post a thread in each forum and see what I get back!

As we are in the dvd forum which dvd player!? I willing to spend upto £200 ish, ive been looking at various players but would like to get some opinions in this price range. I was going to go for all Yamaha kit now im leaning towards NAD maybe? Also how would you connect this up HDMI/Component etc

any help appriciated as I want to buy it all asap but just have no idea what to buy/get demo'd!

thanks

Leon

craig777

Novice Member
I've personally not seen an 'Oppo 971' in action, but ALOT of members here regard it as the best player in the price range you mention.

K

Kento

LWells said:
Im eventually going to take the plunge and get myself a Home Cinema set up.. the problem is I really dont know what kit to buy, Ive decided on the screen and thats going to be a Panasonic PX60 42" mounted on the wall.. then I have the problem of amp/dvd/speakers so il post a thread in each forum and see what I get back!

thanks

Leon
If you are buying a home cinema system then why not a panel rather than a TV for the wall? Both Panasonic and Fujitsu have excellent examples in their range.

Regards,

Kent.

AVLeon

Formerly 'LWells'
Yes id noticed panasonic do just a Panel, is it a PW8/9 or something, are these as good in quality as the new HD TVs from Panasonic and whats the prices like as ive seen the PX60 42" with wall bracket as low as £1300inc delivery.

Just looking at the cambridge audio stuff, is this rated as good quality kit ive overlooked this in the past as i thought it was a richer sounds own make.

K

Kento

LWells said:
Yes id noticed panasonic do just a Panel, is it a PW8/9 or something, are these as good in quality as the new HD TVs from Panasonic and whats the prices like as ive seen the PX60 42" with wall bracket as low as £1300inc delivery.
The PHD8 seems to be gone now but AV sales and others are doing a forum special offer on the new PHD9 at about £1435 including wall mount, delivery and 2 year warranty.
See here http://www.av-sales.co.uk/PANASONIC-TH-42PH9-33-16.htm and here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377094 or post in the Plasma forum which is frequented by some really knowledgeable people including a few very helpful retailers. I understand that the picture quality on the Panasonic panels is at least as good as their TV's but a more varied opinion on this will be found on the plasma forum.

Regards,

Kent.

davidm

If your chosen Panel has a DVI/HDMI connection and HD ready, then the Oppo 971 should definately be on your list to upscale to the panel definition. Do not use the component output of the Oppo. You must use the DVI/HDMI connection.

That is what I use with Pioneer and the PQ is superb IMO :thumbsup:

Good Luck

AVLeon

Formerly 'LWells'
I was hoping to use HDMI as this is supposed to be the best? how long can these be? im wondering where to place the AMP/DVD player, behind the wall where the plasma is going to be mounted is the cupboard under the stairs so i was going to make this into a little AV room :) I would only need say 2meter cables or if i have the AMP/DVD in the lounge id need really long cables 10meters, this could get expensive/loose quality?

Leon

Top Bottom