Which dvd player best suited TH37PX..?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Scooby Max, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Scooby Max

Scooby Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm in the process of purchasing a Panasonic TH37PX70 model. I've been trawling through this section of the forum to find a perfect dvd partner (none recorder type) I'm a little confused..:eek:
    Upscaling this.. upscaling that.. Oh no it is.. Oh no it aint..:D

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (< £150 ) quality machine please..?

What do you use..?

cheers
    Max

2. GadgetArchitect

GadgetArchitect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Max

I've had the TH37PX70 for a month or so now and I bought the (upscaling) Toshiba SD370E from Tesco for £50 which gives you HDMI out. Picture quality via HDMI cable (not included) was very good although (for anyone swithering on upscaling versus normal) I actually took the Toshiba back because I couldn't see any major improvement in picture quality versus my current standard DVD player.

Regardless of the lack of perceived improvment versus my existing player I would recomment the Tosh - it's very compact and disc loading is pretty quick.

Hope that helps

3. steviea

steviea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The honest answer max is buy the best machine you can afford,Samsung make some of the best sub £100 models,Denon/Oppo make arguably the best budget/mid price players then it's devils advocate,for me i prefer the Denon dvd 3930 others prefer Arcam,all are good,which ever you buy will be good.

Regards

Steve

4. Solster

Solster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got the panasonic dvd s53-s to accompany my panny plasma. It has the HDMI connection and upscales nicely. Also has the viera link so they are a well suited pair.....

5. Scooby Max

Scooby Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies..:smashin:

Still havn't quite decided... decisions decisions...!!

I'll carry on the research..

p.s.
    I now think I'm going for the 42" instead..:rolleyes:

6. nikonuser11

nikonuser11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
  7. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    No model with a built in upscaler suits your TV because it:

a) does not have a "standard" HD resolution (i.e. one to which an upscaling DVD player will scale)
    b) it does not support 1:1 mapping (in other words, it still performs a scaling operation on all input)
    c) your television's internal scaling is above average in many respects

Whilst upscaling DVD players can offer improvement under some circumstances, due to the reasons stated above, all you really need to look for is one that can send 576p via HDMI, which would be practically any. It's worth noting, however, that if you have a surround sound setup, there may be sonic advantages in a particular player and that some will offer a better picture when sent at 576p than others (this is something I can't really speak any more about for fear of making some horrible error in the process haha).

8. DannyBoy1

DannyBoy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If your really on a tight budget get a hd-dvd player you can pick them up for about 60 new with a couple of dvd's thrown in -they're ment to be excellent upscalers for regular dvd's and there's a good choice of hd dvd's at a fiver a go.
    If you have of are considering getting an amp for surround soubd in the next year or 2 you'll be able to experience hd audio also as long as it has anolog inputs at the back.