Which DVD player (again)?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by adamhamilton, Feb 14, 2001.

1. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after reading reviews about the Hitachi P505E at http://www.theironduke.plus.com/HitachiSyndicate
    I have decided not to get this player. The picture quality sounds crap!

So, I need some more suggestions - I think I'll up my budget to £300 - £400
    What should I get?

Thoughts so far are the Pioneer 636 - although I've heard that this one has layer
    change delays.

Things I'm looking for are:
    1) Good picture quality, no artifacts etc.
    2) Coaxial AC3/DTS out
    3) CD/CD-R (maybe RW) audio playback

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Stick

Stick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen a Marantz 3100 in full flow, (today actually at Richer Sounds. It was good, pictures being sharp and beautifully cinematic etc. etc. I'm told that these will play CDR's but haven't witnessed it for myself, (my Marantz cd5000 does but thats another issue. What about a Sony DVP 725? they are my personal favourites, and they they are good with CD's too. ( they have a twin laser gizmo so they should cope with CDR). Problem is they are becoming as rare as rocking horse s**t to find in the colour you want.

[This message has been edited by Stick (edited 14-02-2001).]

3. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    You could try the Hitachi 705 adam?

my 505's picture is very good.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The DVP-S725 does not have two lasers and hence will therefore "officially" not support CD-R (the last model with dual-laser was the 715).
    Besides, the 725 it has been replaced by the 735 (not CD-R compatible either).

Now to the original question: Toshiba players have a damnd good picture but may lack CD-R/CD-RW compability. So perhaps the Pioner you mentioned will be as close as you get - note that most players suffer from layer change delays (some more, some less).
    Not sure about other brands, haven't seen much these days ...

Reiner

5. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hows about an ex-dem pioneer 717 for 300 quid, multi region and including postage from techtronics. (don't know how many's left) Got my parents one and its pretty coo'. Although it does either turn itself off or spit out the disc when an annie lennox CD is inserted, very odd, maybe its got a bit of taste

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, then Jesus H
    but got bored so it became some latin sh*t

6. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just read quite a good review of the LG DVD-335OE. Does anyone have
    any experience of these players?

7. Stick

Stick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh B****ks!, i'm wrong!....i've just read the books properly this time!. Indeed the 725 does not have two lasers, only a thingy called dual focus pickup(??), still good with cds though (alas no cdr!). For me they are the best though!! and Toshiba doing a good job of pushing them off the top spot.

I did like that Marantz too!

[This message has been edited by Stick (edited 15-02-2001).]

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Every player has dual focus (ie the laser has to focus differently for CD and DVD) and I think this term has been invented to intentionally misslead potential buyers ...

[This message has been edited by Reiner (edited 16-02-2001).]

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Adam, do yourself a favour and stay away from cheap (budget) players or no-name products.

10. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what would you recommend for around £400?

I'd like a Sony - but no CD-R.
    Toshiba sound good but has problems with RCE.
    Pioneer also had good reviews but I've heard they have problems with layer change delays.
    Hitachi sounded good until I read that they suffer from picture artifacts (not sure about the 705 though).

So what's left - I don't know much about Phillips & Panasonic drives.

Can you give me some suggestions?

Thanks.

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry, tt this time unfortunately not unless you go for the Pioneer DV-636. I am also looking to get a new player and are put of due to the same reasons (either performance isn't up to what I expect or they can't handle RCE).
    Since I have a US player I am not really in a rush, so I will wait a bit longer until things are sorted out ...

12. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi adam,

The Toshiba that has problems with the RCE is the SD100E.
    But if there's a tosh modification that you can manually change the regions. You'll have no problems with RCE.

If you was planning to use the DVDplayer to also play CDs and you have a lot of CDRs.
    Than i don't think that Toshiba or Sony is your best choice.

With a budget of 400 pounds you can look at higher end models. If you have DTS/DD decoder in your amp..you better buy a model without a buildindecoder. It'll be cheaper.

13. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the Toshiba SD200E or the Pioneer DV-636

Do you have any other suggestions?

I have a separate DD/DTS decoder so don't necessarly need it on board. I do need it to play CD-R.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tested both the 200E and the 636 and i would have to say that the Pioneer edged out the toshiba in picture quality by a very small amount. Granted the Pioneer costs quite a bit more and does have onboard DD/DTS decoders which you dont need.
    Both drives also play CD-R discs well - for the money you pay, I would go with the Toshiba.

15. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    What about the Toshiba 500 which is their new DVD-A capable machine ? It seems to read everything CD-R & RW & even MP3 whatever that is (only joking!)
    The RRP is £500 but I have seen it around for £400
    I asked Techtronics what thier price would be but they havent decided yet ...

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

16. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +724
    I am looking at the Tosh SD-500E too.

It seems to do everything I want.. I can't explain it, but I have never been keen on the Pioneers! I don't know why.. Everytime I thought about upgrading my Samsung, I took a look at the 5xx and felt that for the price, it didn't have enough features.

The Tosh seems to be the only 'non-budget' player, which has 'budget' features. If you know what I mean (like MP3, CDR etc).

All I want now is to find one, or someone that has one, so that I can some first hand feedback!

17. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had a demo of the Tosh 200E and I've very impressed. The picture quality (in my opinion) is better than the Pioneer 636 and the functions are far better (FF, REW, etc.). Also the remote is easier to use.

Does anyone know how the Toshiba's handle layer change compaired to other players - the Pioneer 636 I demoed wasn't too good, displaying artifacts immediatly after the layer change for about 1 second (layer change was also around 1 second).

18. RichCave

RichCave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 200E, and the layer change is very good; barely noticable on most disks mid-scene.
    Some of the Pioneers I've seen are positively lethargic.
    Having said that, the 200 is not as smooth as my Encore DV450, which strangely for a budget player, is seamless...

19. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder what the SD210 will be like (due out in April), will also have MP3 playback!

20. Brian H

Brian H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems from checking out the many and varied replys regarding budget players that they are best left well alone but then someone mentions that their pucker topnotch player is a complete slug at layer changes or can't handle MP3, CDR or the dreaded RCE etc.. it kind of puts off us cheapos who are considering stepping into the light and purchasing a quality machine - so what do you reckon _ I have various mates who have directly compared cheaper machines within the £500+ range and in some cases can't see any significant difference - I myself am holding off to see how DVD-A progresses before I ditch my Wharfey (non RCE -doh!) - sorry kind of lost my point a little there - essentially is it really worth spending a bundle on a 'quality' player when there are many cheaper but good quality machines around that will happily fill the gap until the technology settles a little and becomes a more reliable investment? What's the general concensus - am I just being a tight wad or sensibly canny?

21. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    I completely agree.

I saw the DVD market as very fluid, which is why I decided to buy a 'budget' player.

People around me bought the Pioneer/Sony 1st generation models, which arguably would be out of date in a few years.

With DVD-A and RW around the corner, I had no plans to upgrade to a 'proper' player until it had all got sorted.

But, I need CDR playback and am stuck.. I don't want to buy another 'budget' model, but also see that a full price model could be obsolete within a short space of time.

I report HCC magazine said that within 2 years 'all but the cheapest DVD players will support DVD-A'.

I will feel a complete lemon when my new £600 Pioneer, doesn't even have DVD-A support, when all others have!

Unless you have a real need, I really don't see the point of spending 100s right now!

22. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Regional Code Enhancement.

Its a new bit of software on a few R1 disks (i.e Patriot, Hollow Man) which stops them playing on a FEW R2 machines..

Do a search on RCE and you can read all about it

Jon

23. steve4852

steve4852

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the RCE that you are refering to on DVD's?

24. Panavision

Panavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    All TOSH have problems with RCE, but the handset hack is adequate. I'd got for the TOSH 100, excellent picture quality for the price.

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A GOOD CHEAP 1 IS A SCAN 2000 WHICH PLAYS MULITY REIGON. CDR CDRW MP3 ETC AT THE COST OF 145 PLUS VAT 175.05 TAKE ALOOK AT SCAN.CO.UK

26. Rubberscrubber

Rubberscrubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a sony 725 last week for £320 ( multi region ). they lost my sammy709 whilst in for a repair, so they knocked off £30 for the 725.
    but am considering taking it back for the pioneer 636 so i can play cdr's.
    but it knocks the socks off my old sammy :)

27. Rubberscrubber

Rubberscrubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer sounds by the way, to the above lost player.