1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD player < £250?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by elementalist2, Mar 29, 2005.

1. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm in a confused state, I'll admit it.

Bought an NEC HT510 and I want to get a DVD player with component output and progressive scan. The HT510 doesn't really justify a huge spend on the player, so I was thinking: -

Pioneer DV575
    Cambridge Audio DVD59
    and maybe Sony DVP-NS955

I'm hoping this is an easy choice for someone with great knowledge like you guys in this forum ;)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I can strike one from that list already. I tried the CA DVD59 tonight (just now) and the picture isn't as good as my old Sony NS905V even through RGB Scart converted to component and no progressive scan :eek:

I really could use some advice if poss. Do I need to spend more money and up the sample rate or something? The Pioneer 668 has double the rate for £420 - what do we think?

Or can I get away with the update to my old Sony, the NS955? Hmm...

3. IBORGUK

IBORGUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Pioneer DV-575a is very capable, has component out and progressive scan capabilities. It is also available in silver and black. I have a black unit which I paid £130 for. Very happy with it and it is used to feed my own Pioneer 435 XDE.

Cheers

P.S It also plays Divx's.

4. YuppieScum

YuppieScum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have to agree with IBorgUK - the Pioneer DV-575A is a cracking player for the money.

Component out, progressive scan on both PAL and NTSC, support for DVD-Audio & SACD as well as MP3 and Divx playback, both optical and co-ax digital audio as well as 6-channel analogue output, RGB via SCART and even composite and S-Video connectors.

I'm very happy with mine...

5. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't like the Pioneers at all.

The drive makes the most obscene noise, especially when changing chapters or loading menus...DVD-R's can be painfully slow to navigate through and occasionally freeze up...and my easter egg box was more solidly constructed...

Performance is good though.

I'd add these others to your 'short' list, cant recommend one as have no full experience with them...they're just other contenders

Sony DVP-LS785V
    Yamaha DVD-S550
    Harman Kardon DVD22
    Denon DVD-1710
    Philips DVP-720SA
    Samsung HD-945
    Panasonic DVDS97
    JVC XV-N412S (JVC's are quite possibly the most underrated DVD players ever)

I expect a whole new slew of players this year...inc imminent models from Sony and Toshiba. The Toshibas are great apart from the layer change.

6. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems strange! I've tried many budget players, and my girlfriends Tosh 330 is the best for layer change! Never noticed it! I think a lot of it depends on luck. The most expensive player i've had, the ROKSAN Kandy, had the slowest layer change of them all, and i'm talking a good few seconds!

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I'm waiting on delivery of a Samsung HD-745 which is a cheaper version of the HD-945 recommended by superpixel. It looks like the only difference between them is the 945 has HDMI and the 745 DVI, but if you don't have a digital input on your screen neither will matter, so go for the cheaper option.
    These Samsung players look great for the money and are getting a lot of good reviews from users on this forum. Hopefully mine will arrive soon and I can find out for myself.

Mark.

8. unklewibble

unklewibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've been looking at a sub-£250 player as well. I've read tons of stuff on several top players, but most seemed to lack features I wanted, or people had complained about certain issues. In the end, I went for a multi-region Sony DVP-NS955, which is quite expensive, but I consider it the safest bet. It's not a DVI player, but from what I've read, it's reliable and will give a good solid picture with no quirks. I'm expecting to receive mine tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

9. YuppieScum

YuppieScum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, for what it's worth, I've just ordered one of these - price including HDMI-DVI cable, UPS shipping and VAT if Customs & Excise spot it will be a little under GBP190.

Shipping is allegedly 5-7 days, so if you can wait a week I might do you a deal on a slightly-used DV-575A in silver...

10. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OooOoo! I'd be very interested to here what you think of that one. I certainly to like the picture from my old NS905.

Actually, that's going to make my choice terrible, now, hehe. I was going to take back the CA DVD59 tonight and try a DV575. If that wasn't up to the job I was going to abandon the sub-250 and go for a DV686. Hmm... wonder if the upgrade to my 905 might be just fine...

11. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, that's torn it. I made a last-minute effort to find a DV757 for around £550 as they are hugely recommended if you don't want digital output and £550 is real cheap because they are an 'old' model, but still worth £700-£800 quality-wise.

I spent a lot of time yesterday ringing around and only the places selling at £700+ had any left in stock :(

This morning - first hit yields a stock level of 2 at ShopByPrice.com and they are actually selling at £420! Not the advertised £542!

Woo hoo!

12. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    For what it's worth I "upgraded" from a 757 to a 575 because of the superior Progressive Scan picture quality and would never go back...

13. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aargh! You're kidding me?! I know the 575 is newer, but how can a £100 machine have better p-scan than an £800 (when new) machine?! It's not that much older!

I thought that was precisely the kind of thing that 'higher end' machines improved? Have there been huge developments in progressive scan technology between the 757 and 575?

Please someone tell me it's not truuuuuue! Either that or tell me it definitely is so I can cancel my order!

14. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I had a 747, then a 757, both of which suffered badly with the Chroma Upsampling Problem (loads of info here if you search) when displaying a Progressive Scan picture - it was only moving to the 575 that eliminated this. The Progressive picture quality from the 575 is excellent and comes close to the 720P that I output from my HTPC.

As far as i'm concerned, even if I could get a 757 for £100 I wouldn't, i'd go for a 575 (out of the two).

15. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh good grief. Is this going to look terrible projected to a 100 inch screen using p-scan?

Bearing in mind my old Sony NS905 looks good to me and I'm only replacing it due to having some weird tinting issues?

Do I cancel my order and try a 575 or an NS955?

16. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely the sound quality is far superior though on the higher end units i.e. the 757, 668 etc???

17. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The 757 was nice as I used iLink to my Pioneer AX5 but I can't tell any real difference between the 757 and 575. It is after all passing the same digital bitstream down the same coax cable to the same amp.

The 757 is a better looking, far more solidly built player, but when the picture is noticably better on the 575 there is only one winner in my HT!

elementalist2 - I can only tell you about my personal experience. I'm sure there are many people very satisfied with the 757 (as you state, it got rave reviews) and results may be better with your display than mine.

18. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but at the end of the day, the higher-end models use better DACs and other high quality components, so surely this has to count for something??

19. unklewibble

unklewibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Haven't spent long with my Sony NS955 (came this morning), but very impressed so far. Although my old player was pretty bad, and used RGB scart. I knew the picture would be sharper and more stable with component inputs / P-scan , but the increase in detail is amazing. How it compares to other similar models, I have no idea.

Anyway, I'm happy!

20. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Out of the three you mention, the sony 955 is streets ahead of the other pair in quality. Its also twice the price!

21. unklewibble

unklewibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I used Total Digital - quick service. Multiregion 955 is £195 + £10 delivery. Their web site didn't work for me, so I phoned them to place the order.

22. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats total digital's address cannot find it on google?

How is the 955 with multi-region does it play everything rce etc?