1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which DVD for 32zd26?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by apul, Jan 9, 2003.

1. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    gonna get a toshiba 32zd26p soon and i also need a dvd player, what would be nice if i could use the progressive scan mode when watching all my dvds.
    As i understand progressive scan will only work on this tv in NTSC, is this correct?
    if it is then could any of you knowledgeable people point me to a dvd player that would playback NTSC progressive scan for both my region and and region 2 discs? if such a thing exists anyway.
    if not then what would you reccommend?
    or perhaps even a different tv capable of pal progresive scan?

thank you

2. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    apul

I just read today on this forum that the toshiba dvd player sd550 has progressive scanning but it is only for ntsc not pal.

hope this helps

3. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
  4. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Two Panasonic models offer both PAL and NTSC progressive scan:

TX32PH40
    TX32PS20

5. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    cool, thanks for the replies, on is is almost certain is that it looks like im getting the toshiba 32zd26 TV, unless u can suggest any others for the same price.
    and that 963SA looks the biz (didnt read all that post lol).
    where can i get it in the uk or where will deliver to the uk?

another alternative i was thinking of was using my computer if i could get the HDTV adaper for the Radeon graphics cards (if its quality is good) i left a post about this in the HTPC forum but no one seems to be alive in there :rolleyes:

thanks for the advice

6. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I think the cheapest for the 963SA is here:
    http://www.robertsons-online.co.uk/acatalog/Robertsons_Online_Philips_DVD_81.html

You can make it multi region using a few methods:
    http://home.hccnet.nl/r.de.haas/RC6/otherways.htm. This link refers to some hack codes which are buried somewhere in the long avsforum thread.

Not sure if the Uk version is Pal progressive out of the box, so you may need to read that thread to see how to hack it and also to find the settings to get NTSC progressive from a Pal disc.

Hope this helps.

7. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just taken delivery of a Tosh 32ZD26P and this set came very highly recommended by the retailer (who I had negotiated a swap from a Panasonic TX32PL1).

I went to Richer Sounds and bought a Tosh SD220 which is Multi Region (1-6) for 119.95. This dvd was highly rated by the guys who sold me the tv.

I wired everything in using component cables (IXOS 1703) which cost 100 quid at Richer who are going to price match down to 79.95 on Monday. Connected the audio up using the toshiba supplied lead (for now).

I compared the Sony PS2 DVD (played attack of the clones) picture to tosh tv with the Panasonic TV I had -- absolutely miles better then on Panny in terms of everything you can think of even without RGB used.

I then put the same scenes (jango's room & Yoda arriving with army thru ensuing battle) on the Tosh DVD.....OMG!!!!!!! Incredible no 100hz ghost, blurring, colour bleed, jitter etc etc. I then changed the picture settings on DVD and used 'Dialogue' setting in the DVD's sound options. OH MY GOODNESS does it come better than this! I was totally blown away and excited and just absolutley loved it. Incidentally, just as the cloner and Obi Wan arrive outside Jango's apartment the clarity and depth of field were amazing.

The combination of 100hz, progressive scan, and the SD220 have really taken me aback. The sound on regular TV is great as well as is the picture. I have yet to try out my external speakers on it (Sherwood Amp and Mission 501's)

The TV itself (32 inch) has won more awards than you can shake a stick at and the picture is so good that the 32" is really big on picture.

I have read so may stories on televisions here and found all useful and as a consumer each of our experiences differ in terms of product and retailer. I paid 850 delivered for the TV and am now very happy. The price comparison sites are good but only include registered retailers (paying them money). So make sure your bargain is a bargain. In fact one of the best things to do if you have already is to see if you can get John Lewis to Price match the TV.

I had two really bad Panasonic TX32-PL1 and took some time to get the retailer to swap the second set in exchange for the more expensive Tosh set. The first was swapped easy but I was billed for 50 quid admin as they said TV was operating within manufacturers spec. I argued (correctly) that this so called spec was not what I expected and won that one and changed and they dropped the charge of 50 quid.

It seems wherever you go there are problems with service, some worse than others and they ALL get it wrong from time to time. I think a bad experience on the net doesnt mean go to high street everytime. In the end the retailer gave me loads of advice on TV and dvd player and connections and I went through these forums in detail and the TV and DVD are brilliant together.

I can't remember if you had a 32ZD26 set? The stand is better looking than anything else I've seen - I fitted a Pioneer Digi-Box, Tosh SD220 DVD, Aiwa VHS, PS2 (with G-CON) and PSX.

Sorry for waffling a bit...hope this helps

This is all my opinion so check for yourself! You could end up with a duffer like many of us seem to do.

Cheers

8. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    will be going to JL tomorrow to see if i can get a price match, might also try fenwicks as it is just nextdorr and also has the TV.

as for the dvd player i already own a tosh 210E. its gonna be a while before i or we (my brother) get a new one. and the computer option is still open (someone posted a VGA to component link in the HTPC forum)
    thanks