1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD burner

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by stormjai, Aug 27, 2004.

1. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    want to buy new DVD burner, mainly for archiving loads of miniDV family footage. Should I invest in new Dual Layer burner (though disks not widely available yet) for future proofing or stick to single layer?? Is external drive better or internal model - but will need someone to install. Which are current best models? eg Sony/LG/NEC/Pioneer

2. Xdrive

Xdrive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have an LG as this recorder writes to all common formats.... +R/RW -R/RW & RAM which is ideal for me.
    I paid about £60 for the unit from www.ebuyer.com

Phil.

3. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i have pioneer 107 d writes superbly again from ebuyer just under 50 pounds
    writes most formats no coasters as yet i use bulpaq orange no probs in either dvd backup up or data cant go wrong all dvds ive tried playback a treat on pioneer/panasonic/scheinder/xbox/ps2 cant go wrong i think most of the new dvd recorders are all fairly reliable i use it to back up movies from my sony ip1

4. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dual layer media will soon be coming down in price and will be important in the future as it allows you to store almost 2 hours of full DV-resolution on a disk (as opposed to the one-hour on a single-layer). With the advent of HDTV, you will need to 'future-proof' your footage as much as possible and burning a DVD to a lower resolution is not good planning.
    You can get a NEC ND2510A DVD Dual Layer & 8xDVD+/-R & RW for around £40 from: http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NEC-ND2510. I have this and highly recommend.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    At the moment duel layer DVD recorded disks are mainly not compatable for playback on standalone players. This is a mix of poor d/l authoring software and hopefully just firmware of the writers.
    When HD DVD comes along any writer you have now will not be compatable, so from this direction you are not future proofing.
    A duel layer writer is a fair bit more expensive to buy, and the disks even when readily available will still sell for a premium for a fair while yet.

For all of the above reasons I would suggest going for a single layer writer and upgrading to duel layer, if required, at a later date once the cost drops.
    Internal drives are cheaper, but only if you wont have to pay somebody to install it for you and you have a spare IDE channel to install it on. If going external it will save you a few pounds if you buy an external case and put an internal drive in it yourself, but if unsure then a dedicated external drive is possibly best. Performance wise there is nothing to decide between internal or external as long as you connect it via firewire or USB2.0 rather than USB1.1 which is far too slow.
    The Pioneer writers have always been about the best, but even the newest models wont write DVD-RAM, but will read it. They will write & read all the other 4 formats (+/- R/RW).

Mark.

6. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    After checking the prices you can now buy a DVD writer that can write on both formats and also on dual layer for less that £100.

One of this month's computer mag has tested several external DVD writers. It has chosen Liteon SOHW-832SX as a best buy. That is an external unit. If you want to fit it inside the PC then go for SOHW-832S which is ths same without the external box.

I have placed my order with dabs.co.uk who was the cheapest i can find at around £76. It arrived the next day.

I don't know how good Liteon is compared to Panasonic/NEC for reliability but by searching through Google I haven't found any bad reports.

Good hunting

Write on dude :thumbsup: