Which dvd burner and software bundle?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hawklord, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I'm looking to get a dvd burner for my pc and haven't a clue which drive to go for. I'm looking for a drive that comes bundled with software that will get me up and running and will be compatable with all the usual formats. What sort of software packages do you need to copy dvd's and vcd's?I'm assuming that most dvd burners allow you to write vcd's too? I've used nero to burn vcd's in the past and it seems quick and relatively easy to use. Are all packages similar- which do you recomend.
    As you can probably tell from this post I really haven't got a clue :blush: I'm looking to spend <£100 in total for the drive and necessary software (is that enough?)

any help and assistance would be much appreciated :smashin:

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Anyone:lease:

3. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you look in some of the current crop of computers magazines I believe I saw headlines for DVD-Burner field tests including some Dual Layer Burners. I built my own PC from scratch earlier this year and put a Plextor 708a into it. It records multi-format but to be honest all I've burnt are a couple of CD-R's and a bunch of DVD-R's with no apparent problems. Check out www.afterdawn.com which has some great tuitions for all sorts of burns, plus links to very handy freeware programs, such as DVD-Shrink. Hope this helps

Muzza1 :smashin:

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Hawklord. There are loads of good PC DVDR drives out there - if you get a dual format drive it is difficult to go seriously wrong - if you want brands named though then the LG, Pioneer or Sony models are particularly well regarded. Generally though I would recommend the following advice:

1) If you haven't yet got a set-top DVD recorder than think about getting a PC DVDR drive that supports DVD-RAM (either read or read/write) as this will 'keep your options open' (some of the best DVDRs are DVD-RAM based). LG or the latest Pioneers (A07/107) all support DVD-RAM at no extra cost from a non-RAM DVD burner.

2) Determine whether DVD+R dual layer will be of benefit to you. If it is then consider a supporting drive (such as the LG 4112). The price will be more for such a burner.

3) Look for 8x DVD-R/+R (or greater) speed burning and 4x DVD-RW/+RW recording.

As for software - well that's a little harder. My suggestion here would really be to buy an OEM drive (a package which includes the PC drive and drivers on CD only) and buy the precise software you want serperately - in my experience you never get a very satisfactory package with bundled software. You should still be able to do this for under £100 if you don't go for DVD+R DL recording. Checkout www.ebuyer.co.uk for OEM drives.

Software wise you download time-limited demos for most stuff to determine if it does what you want. Nero 6 (by Ahead Software) is a good start www.ahead.com (that link is from memory so you might need to search for it - shouldn't be hard!).

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    thanks I'll take a look around and see what deals are available:)

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    nec 2150a dual layer burner oem drive only £63 inc shipping from microdirect..

Just bought one.. very quiet and no coasters yet. I am using it with nero :)

Matt

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Just ordered the NEC ND2510A Dual Layer 8x DVD±RW ReWriter - OEM (CD-007-NE) from overclockers for £59 I hope that's a good choice:)

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
  9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    I have this drive and can confirm it is excellent - but the NEC will doubtless give good service to Hawklord.

Media is starting to dribble into the country - it is also starting to appear in Japan. Most prices I've seen pre-orders for in this country are around the £11 mark.

The specifications have been set and it is being ratified by the DVD forum now - odds are we will see it towards the end of the year probably in a Pioneer drive first. The difference is DVD-R DL has to meet projected compatibility targets before being accepted - there is no requirement for DVD+R to do this as it is effectively 'unofficial'.

Reports that current drives will be 'upgradable' to DVD-R DL are, IMHO, ridiculously optimistic. I am not privy to DVD-R DL info but I am led to believe it is substantially different to DVD+R DL in it's application...