1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVB card?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nigel_williams, Apr 4, 2005.

1. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My DEC2000 just died so I need a replacement, thought I should get a PCI one that is compliant with MCE. All I need is Freeview, don't have/want Sky, well not till they start doing HD anyway :)

Current choices seem to be:
    Nova T
    Black Gold
    Nebula

The Nova T appears to be MCE compatible and will work with Media Portal which seems like a very good and twekable clone. It's also the cheapest.

Any reason why I should go for the Black Gold or Nebula? Are there any other new DVB cards coming out soon that I should consider?

2. Grumble

Grumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Black Gold is Media Centre compatible, even the non-compatible cards can be made compatible so you may get one of those a bit cheaper!

The Nebula is a very good card but, as yet, it is not Media Centre compatible.

The plus for the nebula is that you can record the radio broadcasts. The downside for the Black Gold is that you can't!

Dave

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    My understanding from research is that the Black Gold / Sweetspot MCE is the same card and considered the best quality for MCE compatible cards, the Nebula card is also highly regarded but will not be MCE compatible until May.

I have not tried the Sweetspot / Black Gold card personally but have tried some cheaper DVB-T PCI cards and found the quality quite poor, there was mainly lots of 'trailing' on moving objects (if that makes sense!)

I have just bought one of these and am really pleased with it so far, PQ is the best I have seen from live TV in MCE.

lisa

5. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the responses and links, I will look into these options. It seems that the power adapter on my DEC was faulty... it's rattling! So I tried another adapter and it's working again, so I've setup a few test recordings tonight.

The sweetspot card looks good, so I will do some research on it tonight. I think the Nova T has been around for a while now and is available for 62 quid from Savastore.