1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DV editing software

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Bexlee, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to capture & perform relatively simple editing tasks (cut out unwanted footage & add music, titlesand menus) and write back to DV and CD (and in future to DVD when DVD writer prices have come down to a more reasonable level)

Am I right in thinking the Pinnacle Studio 8 would be about the best there is for my requirements?

I have Windows 98, 35Gb of spare hard drive, a Canon MV600i, 256 RAM. Firewire card installed.

Bexlee

2. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh great! First post in wrong forum. You can see I need help :rolleyes:

3. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None of us are perfect!! :devil:

Yes, Pinnacle will certainly do the job. A mate has the Canon XM2 (git!) and he uses the Pinnacle software to great effect. Buying it is almost an absolute must, just for the manual if nothing else!

Collin

4. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking pity on me Collin :)

Reading some of the reviews, you're comment on the manual is interesting as it seems to come in for most criticism, eg: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/Products/Software/1136481

Does my computer sound like it would be able to handle it OK?

Bexlee

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    You say that your PC has Windows 98. If it is the first edition then you will NEED to upgrade to at least 98SE as firewire ports do not work on earlier versions of Windows. Other than that it seams ok, but more disk space will be needed in the very near future and more memory would speed things up, but not needed.
    35Gb will only give room for a little over 2 hours of full DV quality video.

Mark.

6. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your PC has the original version of 98, I would recommend upgrading anyway!

To clarify Mark's comments a little further, Five minutes of Full quality DV takes approximately One Gig of HDD space.

Unless you are making FULL movies then I think you'll have enough space for the moment.

Not wanting to argue the finer points of Windoze 98, I believe it only addresses the first 128mb of RAM anyway. 256 is plenty IMHO!

When my mate bought the software, he said the manual was of great help, so I suppose it's personal preference. Not having seen the manual, I can't really comment. That said, there are many many "tutorial" books for the software, so perhaps one of the#ose might be better.

Collin

7. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much guys.

My firewire port that I installed sems to be working fine- with the CD that came with it anyway (Ulead Video Studio 6 SE Basic), & I think if my computer can handle 2 hrs film at a time , then that is plenty for the time being.

Sounds like Pinnacle Studio 8 actually is the one then.

Bexlee

8. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One problem with 98 of any sort is that your maximum file size is either 2 or 4GB (can't remember which). This will mean splitting each tape into multiple files. Really you could do with 2000 or XP to get NTFS and unlimited file size.

I've used Studio 7 on 2000 and it works well. I'm tempted to upgrade to 8 for the extra features, but I have heard of people having problems with it. See the Pinnacle forums for details.

--
    Steve
    www.bagofspoons.net

9. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i have version 8 and can recommend it for dv editing newbies (like myself!) as the basic features are all fairly intuitive with room to expand as you skils grow. did have problems with it ' not responding' untill i uninstalled it from the C drive, created a new partion in the HD and reinstalled it there. dont know why that worked but it did.

10. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve

I know its probably very basic- but could you tell me how you did that, menalaus?

11. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi Bexlee, sorry but i dont think i will be of much help as i used a freebie programme from a friend.I stopped running pinnacle from C: because i read in Digital Video Made Easy that some editing suites get disrupted if they are in the same drive as programmes that are accessed on a regular basis (am paraphrasing as read the mag in the dentist waiting room)
    Anyway,this 'partition' programme did all the clever stuff for me, allowing me to 'create' separate drives on my HD, then alocate how much memory i wanted for each of the drives. eg Boot (C) has 20GB, Back Up (D) has 20GB and i run Pinnacle from E using 40GB. like i said i dont why this set up works (as am not a computer brain ) but it does and have not had any further problems with pinnicale 'not responding'. Any ideas from those with more know how?

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The reason for capturing to a separate disk is that you can only read/write so much data at any point. Put the captured video to another drive and you double the data rate.
    Creating another virtual drive/partition does little to improve things as it is still the same drive, but as menalaus says it worked for him. I would tend to think that his problems were more to do with the install of the software rather than putting it to another partition.
    The advise is to have 2 hard disks and only use the second for captureing to and ALL software on the boot disk.
    Another thing is to stop ALL background programmes such as antivirus etc as these can cause capture to fail.

Mark.

13. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All interesting stuff.

Now I am sure this is a really basic question, but if the best advice is as Mark says and to have a dedicated hard-drive for video capture & editing, how does it connect to my existing hardware(does it go in the tower); how many Gb should it be; is it easy to install myself; where is the best place to get them from? Anything else I should look for?

Bexlee

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    A new disk does go in the PC case.
    You can get it from many internet sites or shops. Just get an IDE (not SCSI - wrong type and more expensive. You probably wont have a SCSI interface in your PC!). 60Gb should be enough unless you are going to make feature films to rival Speilburg :p You will see lots of different specs like UDMA-133 and seek times etc. Don't worry about these, they are performance specs and all of the modern disks will be good enough.

To install: remove the lid from the case. Find your current hard disk. If the cable has a spare socket on then this is ok, else replace with a duel connector IDE cable. Set the jumper on the new HDD to slave and install into case. Connect the IDE cable and a spare power lead from the power supply. Put PC back together and start up. Windows will see the new disk and take you through setting it up. You could get an external firewire disk, but these work out very expensive, best stick to and internal disk.
    Your PC can have up to 4 IDE devices. These include CD & DVD drives, so you should still have space for another disk.

Mark.

15. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks MarkE19 for helping out with some real knowledge:clap:

16. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks folks

Seagate Barracuda 80GB installed today and awaiting delivery of Pinnacle Studio 8.

Bex