1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DV camcorder to buy

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Preckle, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Preckle

Preckle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody give me some advice on which digital camcorder to purchase. I need one that will also give me good quality still photographs. I have 3 models in mind - JVC GRDV3000, Panasonic NVMX350 and CanonMVX1i.
    What is the best editing software?:confused:

2. tot

tot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: mx 350

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Panasonic NV-MX350B.

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on what you mean by "good quality stills".

I've a (now old) PC100E digicam that uses a seperate memory stick to save stills onto. This can store 1megapixel pictures whereas if it stored them on tape the max resolution is 640x480 - same as if you grab stills from video.

I don't know if the stills from video have been improved but that was the reason I went for a seperate memory stick for stills.

The camera came with a 4mb stick which (i think) saved about 10 hir-res pics. I then bought a 64mb stick which saves 104 piccies.

I'm almost sure my camera doesn't support the new 128mb sticks, but have seen posts from people who have a PC100E that use a 12mb stick.

Memory Sticks are Sony proprietry, so Panasonic et al may use compact flash or smart cards but I don't know if there are any dual standard cams other than Sony.

A few people here at work have the fuji 2600 still digital and can save 2.6 mega pixel piccies that are stunning, although the flash seems to give mixed results

5. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The MX350 (£1300) is the best of the three you mention - it's a 3CCD camcorder so for moving pictures it will be outstanding. As for still pictures, I believe it's around 1.8 mega-pixels which is very impressive for a camcorder but not so impressive compared to many digital still cameras.

I don't think you can go wrong with the MX350, assuming you are happy with it's size but, if you want really good quality still pictures you might be better off going for an £800 camcorder (many great models around at this price) and spending £400-£500 on a decent 4 mega-pixel digital still camera such as the Sony DSC-S85.

Matt.