Which Dune should I get?

Dead Cell

Novice Member
Guys

I need a Media Player that will play .AVI, .MKV, .MPEG and .WMA video files as well as .SRT and .SUB subtitle files etc and was looking at the WDTV Live and WDTV Live Hub but then I decided to turn to my trusted friend AVForums and I can see that the Dune HD Media player is a very popular choice for a lot of members here.

I'm also going to order a QNAP NAS and the idea is that the QNAP will hold all my Flac music files and also all my TV Shows as well as Movies.

The QNAP will feed the Squeezebox Touch for music and the Media Player for Videos.

I'm planning on storing the Media Player right next to the QNAP NAS so I will connect the Media Player direct to the NAS via USB so I will bypass accessing video via the Network which should mean trouble free 1080p video playback. Even if I was to keep the Media Player right under my TV it will still only be a couple of metres away from the NAS so I could still get a long USB cable and connect it directly to the NAS I guess.

Anyway are the Dune players really that good and what you guys would recommend? If so which model is best suited for my needs?

Or would you recommend something else such as the WDTV Media players?

What about the QNAP QNAP NMP-1000P Network Multimedia Player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Would also appreciate if someone could shed some light on whether I should expect to run in to any trouble with the QNAP NAS. I'm thinking of buying the QNAP TS-119 II .

Cheers folks. :thumbsup:

graham.myers

You cant use a USB port on the back of the NAS to connect it to a machine. Its a network attached storage. You can plug it in using a network cable into the back of a machine, but I dont know if that works with media players or if its just PCs but I dont see why not.

If you dont need full bluray then the TV101 should be fine for your needs, otherwise one of the Smart models, say the D1

Dead Cell

Novice Member
Thanks Graham for getting back to me. I have no need for Bluray/DVD so the cheaper TV101 sounds like the best option for me, but I don't mind paying twice as much for something that is much better.

Can you or someone else please recommend something better than the Dune or is the Dune the guvnor?

Thanks also for clarifying that I won't be able to attach the Media Player direct to the QNAP NAS with a USB cable.

I will just have to connect the NAS and the Media Player to the Router and hope that works out ok.

Cheers again

MarkE19

Can you or someone else please recommend something better than the Dune or is the Dune the guvnor?
Well the TV101 should do all you have stated it will be used for, and more. However if you want a player with a display then the Smart D1 would be a good option and gives you the full BD license should you want to start ripping BluRay discs and want access to the disc menu. Or a Smart B1 gives you a CD/DVD/BluRay player combined with an excellent media player.
I will just have to connect the NAS and the Media Player to the Router and hope that works out ok.
NAS, media player, PC etc all on your network should work fine as it is what a NAS & media player/streamer is designed to do.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom