Which dual subs?

ubistonk83

Hello. Just come across this thread and am very interested in the Arendal 1961 1S. There’s talk on here of their subs being side firing. Is that the case with the 1961 1S? I can’t see any mention of it on their website. I assume that would rule out corner loading of it?

dts197

Distinguished Member
Hello. Just come across this thread and am very interested in the Arendal 1961 1S. There’s talk on here of their subs being side firing. Is that the case with the 1961 1S? I can’t see any mention of it on their website. I assume that would rule out corner loading of it?
A dedicated Arendal thread here, owners will be able to answer any questions.

DodgeTheViper

Their website clearly shows that it’s a side firing driver. You probably couldn’t get a better design for bouncing off a side wall.

Webbserver

They are side firing and I’d actually recommend corner placement - image attached. That’s where mine are situated, front left and front right. You just need to give the sub that’s firing directly into the wall a few inches gap from the wall.
I can’t recommend my pair of 1961 1S enough. I don’t feel I’m missing anything from my DXD 808s at all, which by the way were also designed for corner placement.

Attachments

• 03F16D3B-67F5-49B0-A735-650386639212.jpeg
    03F16D3B-67F5-49B0-A735-650386639212.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 57

ubistonk83

They are side firing and I’d actually recommend corner placement - image attached. That’s where mine are situated, front left and front right. You just need to give the sub that’s firing directly into the wall a few inches gap from the wall.
I can’t recommend my pair of 1961 1S enough. I don’t feel I’m missing anything from my DXD 808s at all, which by the way were also designed for corner placement.
Thank you so much. That’s exactly what I want to do, buy 2 of them and put them in the front corners.
Is there a minimum distance from the side wall? Can I ask how many inches away from the wall you have placed them?
One more thing, the subs will be equidistant to the main listening position. Does that mean I shouldn’t have to worry about any phase correction (I wouldn’t know where to start) and I should just need to equal out the volumes separately before running them together in Audyssey?

Webbserver

Thank you so much. That’s exactly what I want to do, buy 2 of them and put them in the front corners.
Is there a minimum distance from the side wall? Can I ask how many inches away from the wall you have placed them?
One more thing, the subs will be equidistant to the main listening position. Does that mean I shouldn’t have to worry about any phase correction (I wouldn’t know where to start) and I should just need to equal out the volumes separately before running them together in Audyssey?
If you have an AVR with dual sub outputs and Audyssey X32, it will check The volumes for you. If not, you can run a splitter from the single sub input from the AVR.
In the subs settings, you then put both of them into Reference mode ON, adjust their gain (try starting with -6db which are what I have mine set at) and adjust the setting which asks how many subs you are running to 2.
No need to worry about phase in your situation or mine, just leave at 0, as the AVR will set the distance which is essentially an adjustment for delay and therefore adjusts for phase.
I asked Arendal to confirm recommended distances for the 1961 1S and they quoted “We recommend 8-10 cm/3.5-4 inches between the woofer and the closest surface, but that is not a hard rule.”
My Subs are 5cm away from the side walls. I can’t move them out any further as the speakers are in the way and I can’t move the speakers any closer to the tv as I have a motorised screen that would be blocked by the speakers when down.
They sound and look awesome and I’m so pleased I was one over by the members on here.

ubistonk83

If you have an AVR with dual sub outputs and Audyssey X32, it will check The volumes for you. If not, you can run a splitter from the single sub input from the AVR.
In the subs settings, you then put both of them into Reference mode ON, adjust their gain (try starting with -6db which are what I have mine set at) and adjust the setting which asks how many subs you are running to 2.
No need to worry about phase in your situation or mine, just leave at 0, as the AVR will set the distance which is essentially an adjustment for delay and therefore adjusts for phase.
I asked Arendal to confirm recommended distances for the 1961 1S and they quoted “We recommend 8-10 cm/3.5-4 inches between the woofer and the closest surface, but that is not a hard rule.”
My Subs are 5cm away from the side walls. I can’t move them out any further as the speakers are in the way and I can’t move the speakers any closer to the tv as I have a motorised screen that would be blocked by the speakers when down.
They sound and look awesome and I’m so pleased I was one over by the members on here.
The AVR has 2 sub outs but it doesn’t have XT32, it’s just an internal Y-splitter. So the “reference mode” and “2 subwoofers” are settings on the subs themselves and you leave those settings activated all the time?

rccarguy2

The AVR has 2 sub outs but it doesn’t have XT32, it’s just an internal Y-splitter. So the “reference mode” and “2 subwoofers” are settings on the subs themselves and you leave those settings activated all the time?

If your avr lacks room correction buy antimide or similar and eq both subs with it

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
It does have room correction, it has Audyssey MultEQ XT.

Not good enough generally as it does most correction higher vs. XT32 and the filter resolution is lower. But you will get started with it and next year when there is more competition in the 1k£ range with Dirac Live machines you could consider upgrade IF you need more channels, new features, new connections etc. If not then Antimode 8033 Cinema S-II or miniDSP 2x4HD + Umik-1.

Webbserver

Yes the settings are on the subs and once set you leave them alone.
As others have pointed out, XT isn’t a patch on XT32. I’d suggest getting an antimode too, then run Audyssey afterwards. You can always sell on the antimode as and when you upgrade your AVR.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom