Which dual HDMI out amp?

kwackers

Standard Member
Hi, thanks for reading this.

I want to upgrade my equipment - first time in many years!
I have an ancient Yamaha 3090 (doesn't even do DTS!) which I've had since new and wish to replace it.
I need an amplifier with twin HDMI outs (tv and projector) don't need more than 5.1 (no room for all the speakers) or MW of audio power, neither am I that interested in DSP modes.
Would like to keep it for as long as I've had the 3090 if poss, so HDMI 1.4?

I have a number of HDMI devices so a surplus of HDMI inputs would be nice - min 4, 6 would be a plus.

I've had a bit of a look around but am unfamiliar with what's available, so I'm being slightly lazy and asking what amps people are aware of and what's worth a look or even if there's something on the horizon to wait for.
I'd prefer to keep costs the right side of £1000 ukp...

Two models I looked at in Richer Sounds Onkyo TXNR1007 (£800), Yamaha RXV3900 (£900). Both are dual output, but both are only HDMI 1.3 (which I believe precludes 3D TV? And like I said I'd like whatever I bought to last for a while...) The Onkyo claims firmare upgradability - but looking on their website this doesn't seem to expand to upgrading the HDMI firmware to 1.4 - does anyone know if this is likely to be even possible?

Thanks for your help.
Steve.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Not having 1.4a HDIM does not preclude HDMI but will limit your choice of players. This is because some of the Panasonics are going to have 2 HDMI outputs with one 1.3 to go to the reciever for audio and the other a 1.4a to go to the TV. Hence you could still get 3D TV if you wanted.
What speakers do you currently have? Since you have a Yamaha and presuming you like the sound it may be better to stay with Marantz/Yamaha/Denon brands as these are all warm. The Marantz 6004 is getting a lot of love at the moment as a great reciever for the price but not sure about the 2 HDMI outputs (although a HDMI switcher on a single output couold achieve what you are looking for in this respect). The Yamaha 3900 is also a good reciever and currently at a good price too. If you want to go for an Onkyo then I would demo it as they have a different tonal sound to what you are used to so may not work well with your current speakers or may not be to your taste.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom