Which DSLR?

twist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Need some advice on buying my first DSLR, I have 3 in mind so far.

Nikon D90 (Good photos & Average Video) with new 18-105 kit lens
Canon 50D (Impressive Photos) with used 18-55 kit lens & maybe used nifty fifty
Canon 550D (Impressive HD video) with new 18-55 kit lens

I dont tend to film a lot of video but it may or may not tend to be useful in the future.

Budget of £800 max

Please advise, thanks.

Out of those either the d90 or 50d. The 550d is a level below those 2 imo. Your best bet is to try them out and see which feels the best in your hands.

I've had a few cameras over the last few years and after my S5 pro broke on holiday last year I had to get a replacement and got a D90. It's by far the best camera I have ever owned the pictures it has produced are faultless. Pity it is let down by the person taking the pics tho :thumbsup: fully recommend a D90 :smashin:

Thanks for the replies and advice guys, any other recommendations?

If it were me, I would personally go second hand. The classifieds on these forums are a good place to start looking.

A good second hand body can be picked up for £200-300, leaving you £500 to spend on decent lenses, tripods, etc. As a first DSLR I would look at something like the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (£300), and the Sigma 70-300 APO. Alternatively, if you're more into your landscapes you could substitute those two lenses with something like a 10-20mm wide-angle lens, and a nifty fifty.

Another vote for the D90 here. Superb camera, and the kit lens 18-105 VR is actually a very nice walkabout lens to get you started.

The 550D may have better video, but it handles like a toy. So if video is not a priority for you... go with the Nikon.

550D likely better all round for IQ over the D90 but poorer at everything else.

50D is a good camera but not great, better for sports than the D90.

60D should be out very very shortly.

isnt that what you want in a camera:blush:

@markbingo, dont confuse lightness with being a toy

The D90 reviews better than the 550D for IQ in all the reviews I read.
The Canon wins on video only. So if thats your bag.... go for it.

It wasnt the lightness that makes it a toy for me.... it was more the build quality, and the lack of buttons/switches! The ones it does have are rather cheap feeling, and clunky (to me). And there is a distinct lack of "keep your eye in the view finder and change lots of settings" buttons!

Also.... It just looks (i know... looks arent everything!) like a cheap camera. The D90 looks very stylish, and much more pro. In my opinion.

BUT.......... the most important thing for the OP to consider is the hands on feel of the cameras. How it feels in YOUR hands, to YOU, is the most important consideration.
If the D90 feels awkward and uncomfortable.... dont buy it. Since that wont improve over time.

So generally seems everyone likes D90 more than the 50D, 550D is not an option anymore.

Right! I'm getting right peeved off with waiting on a Canon, the D90 DOES look a nice camera, will start a new thread and decide which way to go over weekend, thanks OP as you've now given me food for thought:lesson:

Replied to your thread with a very good read. :)

you might want to look at the nikon d5000 if your budget is £800 this will allow you to buy the nikon 70/300 vr lens a very well respected lens.

you might want to look at the nikon d5000 if your budget is £800 this will allow you to buy the nikon 70/300 vr lens a very well respected lens.

Would rather have the AF lens compatibility of the D90 and pay a bit more for that.

Id probably opt for a 18-105mm & a 50mm to get me started with the D90 and save for the 70-300.

The D90 is a excellent camera, especially now they can be picked up with the kit lens for less than £750.

I currently use a 550D and it too is a decent camera if you want something a touch smaller. Personally if your not too bothered about video then the D90 would get my vote.
It was a tossup for me between the D90 and 550d, and I sometimes wish I had gone with the D90.

I would also state if video is important then one will always be better off simply buying a dedicated HD camcorder everytime.

Ended up going for the D90 18-105mm & 50mm after handling D90, 50D & 550D. 550D just felt a bit to plasticky, light and a bit small for me. But if I was into video I wouldve gone with the 550D as seen some footage and it really is incredible.

On the odd occasion I will need to shoot video I have a Kodak ZX1, I hate the fact the cameras can only record a few short clips at a time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom