• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Dolby receiver for my 6 602 S3's?!

T

twochordcool

I was considering the Yamaha RX-V757 because the Yamaha DSP-AX757SE received such a high review in WHAT HI*FI? SOUND AND VISION - and I believe it's the American version of the same receiver.........am I right or wrong about this?

But the problem is, whatever receiver I decide upon I wanted to get the same brand DVD player.

Is this good thinking or unnecessary?

The problem is that I have read poor reviews on Yamaha's lower priced DVD players.

Therefore, I am now considering the Denon AVR-2805 because BOTH the receiver AND most of their DVD players earn very high marks. Like the Yamaha it is a 7.1 receiver with 100 watts per channel.

It's a little older than the Yamaha, and the Yamaha apparently bumped it out of first place, but I imagine it's just as good.....

Your thoughts please!

D

dontnomakeitup

twochordcool said:
I was considering the Yamaha RX-V757 because the Yamaha DSP-AX757SE received such a high review in WHAT HI*FI? SOUND AND VISION - and I believe it's the American version of the same receiver.........am I right or wrong about this?

But the problem is, whatever receiver I decide upon I wanted to get the same brand DVD player.

Is this good thinking or unnecessary?

The problem is that I have read poor reviews on Yamaha's lower priced DVD players.

Therefore, I am now considering the Denon AVR-2805 because BOTH the receiver AND most of their DVD players earn very high marks. Like the Yamaha it is a 7.1 receiver with 100 watts per channel.

It's a little older than the Yamaha, and the Yamaha apparently bumped it out of first place, but I imagine it's just as good.....

Your thoughts please!

The UK version of the US RXV757 is different. The US version does have a radio (and XM satellite radio - although that won't work in the UK). A mate of mine is a courier who often delivers to Yamaha and knows a couple of the guys there. He managed to borrow a UK version and a Eurpoean (sam as US spec) model for me to try. I listened to both with the same setup and the diference is very noticalbe. The UK model is tuned in the UK to sound more appealing to the UK listeners and all I can say is that it definatly sounds better to me. It's far more open and cleaner sounding, most people would notice the differece. Not saying eveyone will prefer the sound but I think the idea is that most people in the UK will. Apparently a good way to hear the difference in the tuning is to compare the DSP 757 with the RXV657 - power of the amps is a bit different but the tuning can be heard like this.
Aslo remember that the US model will be 110 volts so wil need a transformer or you will just have a very expensive indoor firework.

T

twochordcool

I am in the US.

So those Yamaha receivers ARE considerably different despite the fact that their model numbers share the same numbers?

Dfour

The only reason for getting a dvd player of the same brand as the amp is for cosmetic purpose or the amp and dvd player have there own propriety setup with firewire/i-link etc.

D

dontnomakeitup

twochordcool said:
I am in the US.

So those Yamaha receivers ARE considerably different despite the fact that their model numbers share the same numbers?

Yes - thebonly way you could get a UK version would be to ship it from the UIK yourself. then you have the voltage problem again.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom