Which do you prefer: MW2 or Black Ops? (redux)

Which do you prefer: MW2 or Black Ops?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kav

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
After the release of Black Ops, I started a poll lasting six months to see how people's initial impressions of Black Ops stacked up against MW2. At that time, most people were thoroughly sick and tired of MW2, and were excited about the new things Black Ops was bringing to the table - apparently it was to be the most balanced COD yet, with a "back to basics" approach that contrasted directly with MW2's OTT arcade-style killstreaks and weaponry.

So, having now had plenty of time to play Black Ops and compare it to MW2, which do you prefer?

My own view - which will come as no surprise to you lot - is that MW2 is by far the superior game. Treyarch's attempts to bring balance to Black Ops actually resulted in a homogenous mess where all guns feel pretty much the same, with the same attributes. The ability to buy your attachments and perks, while initially seeming like a positive step, actually detracts from your progression as the same incentive is not there to prestige and to unlock all the various weapons. This in turn takes a way a lot of that urge to keep playing that was prevalent in the other CODs. There are various other issues I have with it but this post will end up a novel, so I'll leave it there.

Aside from the playability tweaks which in general can be considered subjective preferences, the one thing that is utterly unforgivable about Black Ops is the awful netcode. Winning or losing games more often than not hinges not on player skill or team capability, but on the connection to the host and how good or poor it is. This means you can play in the exact same lobby and in one game win 7500-2500, and in the other the score can be reversed in the other team's favour. This is not "balance", it destroys the idea that your fate is in your hands, and is instead down to how well you happen to connect to the host. Now I know this is the case to an extent in all online multiplayer games, but in the case of twitch shooters like COD, it's far more noticeable than other games. Having discussed this at length on the forums, my experience is that only about 20% of winning games in Black Ops comes from skill, with the other 80% being purely down to how good or bad your connection is. I know what I will hear back from Black Ops fans is "it's much better nowadays"...perhaps it is, but after investing 50ish hours in the MP, and finding it lacking, I have zero interest in going back to find out. The rage I experienced from getting nothing but hit markers for a clip and a half before killing someone make any anger I ever felt in MW2 pale by comparison.

I freely admit that MW2 has a lot of faults, however having played both games for a significant period of time, I don't see how Black Ops has improved on MW2's faults in any major way - aside from theater mode of course, and that wasn't a fault in MW2 as much as an omission. The whole needing to get killstreaks with gun only is a nice idea in theory however it has done little to discourage camping - if you like to play like a little bitch in MW2, chances are you'll play like a little bitch in Black Ops.

And the clincher of course, the reason we all play games, and the reason why MW2 is a clear winner for me: MW2 is just more fun, dammit!

Last edited:
Also, please don't just vote, but give us your reasons too, if you have time. :)

In the original post I voted for Bops but after consideration and a return to MW2 lately I have now voted for MW2.

Basically it is just more fun to play. I have rage quit in Bops more times than I care to mention but have hardly ever in MW2. I think that just about sums it up.

Basically it is just more fun to play. I have rage quit in Bops more times than I care to mention but have hardly ever in MW2. I think that just about sums it up.

All the other stuff aside, for me that's it in a nutshell. :smashin:

I played MW2 on (ahem) the other console. I'd say there was very little to choose between them, but the connection issues raised their head again last night on Black Ops, so I'd go for MW2. If you ask me after a good night I might change my mind!

Must dig out a copy on the 360 at some point.

Sold my blops yesterday, bought MW2 used for £6 and now I'm level 5 getting owned by all the old players that are level 70 :D

I previously skipped MW2 and went straight from COD4 to blops. Big mistake! I love MW2!

In the original post I voted for Bops but after consideration and a return to MW2 lately I have now voted for MW2.

Its a real tough one. I think MW2 is the better game but it has a few fatal flaws that allows the gaming experience to be ruined by tagnuts. The Nuke killstreak being one of them, Tactical Insertions the other and the ease with which dangleberries can dickscope. If it wasnt for those 3 things I`d say it was better than Blops.

BOPs is the better game in terms of design and balance but MW2 has the better netcode. I can't choose. We need a 3rd option of "I like cake" or something for fence sitters.

No fence-sitting allowed, pick and vote! :devil:

Never really enjoyed MW2...have occasionally enjoyed Blops though so I'll go for that. Plus I liked the Storyline of SP

PERSONALLY I think the last COD that was fun online was WaW. Might go back to it tbh

Think of it like this: if they were the only two games you had to choose from to play with your mates for the next 12 months, which one would you pick? :)

Think of it like this: if they were the only two games you had to choose from to play with your mates for the next 12 months, which one would you pick? :)

Well realistically, if that was the scenario, I would probably kill myself but if we keep it a theoretically thought experiment, I would have to go with MW2 simply because it is actually possible for me to obtain a positive K/D whereas BlackCocks just isn't compatible with my connection.

If it was just friends, then it would actually be ok since most of MW2's problems are caused by the knuckle dragging, pond scum, randoms who play it.

I still want some cake.

I love MW2 right up until I get Q/S, Noob Tubed or Commando Stabbed.

As I said in another thread MW2 caters too much for losers who have so many opportunities to earn game ending k/s by Camping, Tubing (OMA) or boosting :thumbsdow

Kane and Lynch 2 is better than both of them online. This is FACT.

However, between these two then MW2 is miles better. Treyarch cannot make a "real" COD game.

In all fairness I prefer Black Ops, but as kav said it depends largely on your connection to the host, and I always seem to get host which gives me the upper hand in most matches.

One thing I did not like about Mw2 was that it was only ever the ump + marathon and lightweight combination I ever saw being used. Which removed any real competition between players.

With Black Ops the majority of weapons are balanced and give equal players the same chance at scoring a kill.

With Black Ops the majority of weapons are balanced and give equal players the same chance at scoring a kill.

So why not only have one gun?

The COD ballistics model is too simplistic to support the number of guns in a COD game and still provide enough variety, it's stupid.

Can't really add much to what you said Kav, just found the fact that the game seems to punish good players absolutely crazy and that really put me off :thumbsdow

Black ops wins for me.

No option for the colour blind in MW2 which is a big let down. TDM is unplayable using red/green colours.
Boosting is widespread in MW2 especially FFA.
Nukes and Quickscopers another let down.

Black ops for me is much more playable, graphically not as polished as MW2.
I dont have the connection issues that many other people experience. Prestige 10 and still enjoy playing it.

I still have all the cod games. If someone said i had to keep 1 COD game it would be Blops.

However, if they find a cure for colour blindness then i may change my mind.

Weapons are balanced to the point where most of them have exactly the same stats. As Matt says, you may as well be using one gun, the variety available is for the most part purely cosmetic.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom