Which DLP ?

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have more or less made a decission to replace my crt with a DLP if only because I find LCDs to garish and plasmas have a too limited a lifespan for my liking and too heavy as well. I'm set on one of the smaller sets 45" as I will be seated about 4 mtrs away so my question is which set and where is the best place to view/buy them?As well as picture quality, longterm reliability and ease and cost of lamp replacement( as well as life of) are an issue. What kind of resolution can I expect from them and are pictures interlaced or progressive?
Thanks guys!

la gran siete :hiya:

Nice to see you in these parts. :) Out of the smaller sets I would go for the samsung 46' set. If you want to go a bit bigger which is easily done at a range of 4.0m then go for the 50' samsung. I sit around 4.0m away and use a 65' set the Optoma RD65 (look at my sig for pics).

All of these sets are HD ready with a resolution of 1280x720 and take 720p and 1080i.

:)

Razor said:
la gran siete :hiya:

Nice to see you in these parts. :) Out of the smaller sets I would go for the samsung 46' set. If you want to go a bit bigger which is easily done at a range of 4.0m then go for the 50' samsung. I sit around 4.0m away and use a 65' set the Optoma RD65 (look at my sig for pics).

All of these sets are HD ready with a resolution of 1280x720 and take 720p and 1080i.

:)

doesnt it give you eyestarin being that close? :D

la gran siete said:
doesnt it give you eyestarin being that close? :D

Not at all mate. I havent got any eye strain at all and I have had the set for nearly a year. :)

The missus sits closer at around 3.0m and no complaints of eye strian either.

I think its down to thelarge screen size. Every thing is life size so you dont have to strain to make out what is going on. :D

Razor said:
Not at all mate. I havent got any eye strain at all and I have had the set for nearly a year. :)

The missus sits closer at around 3.0m and no complaints of eye strian either.

I think its down to thelarge screen size. Every thing is life size so you dont have to strain to make out what is going on. :D

Maybe its the roids at work :D
Seriously its just what i read in what hifi and vision who recommend ceratin distances for given screen size. They also mentioned eyestrain.
What made you choose the Optoma and where did you buy?
It seems that Curries and Comet are doing most of ther retailing of these beasts but I'd like to avoid them if I can

I chose Optoma for a few reasons.

1 - They make very good DLP front pros and this what Optoma primarily do
2 - Its the only 65" screen availible in Europe
3 - I demoed it at the Hifi show and at Optoma HQ and loved what I saw
4 - Its only 4k for a 65" screen
5 - My house layout doesn't allow practicle use of a front pro

The RD65 is an excellent machine producing excellent pics. How ever it does have a fault which caused me no end of suffering at the begining. It doesnt handle 60Hz feeds without judder. This can be cured with an external scaller or pc so it is no longer an issue for me. I use a pc and powerstrip to work its magic and all the 60hz issue disapears.

Roids enhances DLP viewing, queit possible.....lol ;)

Razor said:
I chose Optoma for a few reasons.

1 - They make very good DLP front pros and this what Optoma primarily do
2 - Its the only 65" screen availible in Europe
3 - I demoed it at the Hifi show and at Optoma HQ and loved what I saw
4 - Its only 4k for a 65" screen
5 - My house layout doesn't allow practicle use of a front pro

The RD65 is an excellent machine producing excellent pics. How ever it does have a fault which caused me no end of suffering at the begining. It doesnt handle 60Hz feeds without judder. This can be cured with an external scaller or pc so it is no longer an issue for me. I use a pc and powerstrip to work its magic and all the 60hz issue disapears.

Roids enhances DLP viewing, queit possible.....lol ;)

only 4 K??? :eek: its only £2578 here:http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=157602

would that have been the Bristol show?Unfortunately the What hi fi show doesnt seem to be showing it which is shame

Razor said:
:eek: That is cheap I may get a second one for the bedroom. :devil:

It was the Hammersmith show last year. :D

novotel ? thats the What hi fi one . On during november.

la gran siete said:
novotel ? thats the What hi fi one . On during november.

Thats the one. :D

Razor said:
Thats the one. :D

Wiill you be going this year as you quite clearly need a new DLP for your bedroom? :D
If I see a man mountain there I can safely assume that is you? Your name isnt Ruddock by any chance is it? :D

LOL @ Man Mountain

Yes I should be going to the show this year. I have a 46 crt rear pro in my bedroom and will look to update very soon as the guns are fading slightly, coupled with me being used to the great pic from DLP.

Will you be there? :)

Razor said:
LOL @ Man Mountain

Yes I should be going to the show this year. I have a 46 crt rear pro in my bedroom and will look to update very soon as the guns are fading slightly, coupled with me being used to the great pic from DLP.

Will you be there? :)

Yes hope so . I will be the bald headed geek who has just joined a gym in order to reshape his physique :D and is already carrying injuries after two weeks. I am also the bald headed geek who attempts to go swimming only to find that at least four women are able to casually swim past him one of which must of been in her fifties :( :confused: :oops:

la gran siete said:
Yes hope so . I will be the bald headed geek who has just joined a gym in order to reshape his physique :D and is already carrying injuries after two weeks. I am also the bald headed geek who attempts to go swimming only to find that at least four women are able to casually swim past him one of which must of been in her fifties :( :confused: :oops:

LMAO :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Keep it up mate you will get there in the end. :smashin:

Razor said:
LMAO :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Keep it up mate you will get there in the end. :smashin:

Cheers mate that IS encouragement! My missus told me today that it looked as though I lost some fat weight as my face looks slimmer. We've been going seven days a week and do,about 45 mins to 1 HR 15 mins each time. Gradually we are improving. Dramatically cut down the boozing too and follow a vaguely Atkins diet( although not so strict) :thumbsup:

hi razor,

what size is your bedroom may i ask?

i've been contemplating the 46" sammy dlp for my bedroom, can get it for approx 1k

few people have said it will look crap and ill suffer eye strain as ill only be sitting around 2-3m away

Fraudster said:
hi razor,

what size is your bedroom may i ask?

i've been contemplating the 46" sammy dlp for my bedroom, can get it for approx 1k

few people have said it will look crap and ill suffer eye strain as ill only be sitting around 2-3m away

Fraudster :hiya: Welcome to the forums.

My bedroom is approx 17 foot by 17 foot. 2.5+ meters will be fine for a 46' screen.

I find 46' is a nice size for the bedroom. Dont listen to other people, most people dont have decent sized screens in their houses. :smashin:

la gran siete said:
Cheers mate that IS encouragement! My missus told me today that it looked as though I lost some fat weight as my face looks slimmer. We've been going seven days a week and do,about 45 mins to 1 HR 15 mins each time. Gradually we are improving. Dramatically cut down the boozing too and follow a vaguely Atkins diet( although not so strict) :thumbsup:

All I can say is Rome wasnt built in a day so keep chipping away at it. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom