1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DLP has the better picture quality

Discussion in 'TVs' started by malso, Mar 27, 2005.

1. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Samsung SP50L7HX or the TOSH 46WM68 ?

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which is better a possibly biased opinion or demo the set's u'r self

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    I'd say the samsung in my opinion.

4. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I'd second that :)

5. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    is it possible to add the RD50/65 series in that list :hiya:

6. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I would say it would depend on the picture being shown as well as i'm finding the Toshiba is not so good with SD - it suffers from bad blurring which ruins the picture - but its HD and DVD performance (the latter using WinDVD6 via a PC VGA or HDMI) is superb. Some HD demos - especially Divx - are jaw dropping. I have not seen the samsung with HD or a decent DVD but my guess is it'll be equally impressive. So if the difference comes down to normal TV viewing then if the samsung doesn't suffer with blur i'd say it.

However - the samsung does employ softer (often described as more cinematic) digital trickery that you may or may not like. The Toshiba tends to show off its HD2+ chipset more with raw sharp detail which others prefer.

Get a demo - with a decent DVD player but also look closely at how they both fair with the crappy analogue feed in the shop. It won't show off the TV at its best but it will give an indication of how the sets perform when given poor signals. You'll end up watching something in between most of the time.

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

I see you have tried windvd6, its much better than windvd 4. :thumbsup:

8. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    oh yes - a huge step forward :thumbsup: I've posted my findings on the tosh picture probs thread! I love the fast forward and rewind too - very :cool:

Thanks for the tip :smashin:

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Hey no problem, glad to help :smashin:

10. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I've only got windvd4, is there a free upgrade path to 6, if so from where?

11. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    there's no free upgrade as far as I can tell so i'm evaluating at present and will probably buy - its only $50 so well worth it as it turns your PC, assuming you have the raw power, into a pretty impressive DVD player.

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    [Razor - please don't discuss "pirate" software - thanks. Nigel]

13. patduk

patduk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor,

Let me get this straight. You paid £4,000 for a TV and you are too tight to pay £30 or £40 for a piece of software. Even worse than that you openly condone software piracy. Shame on you. I hope FAST are not looking at the forums :nono: Just remember if we all chose to download pirated movies and software then there would not be any need to have nice HDTVs in first place as there would be nothing to watch on them as all the movie and software companies would have gone out of business.

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

Firstly did I say that I had a cracked copy? No I didnt.

I own over 350 dvd's, over 400 VHS movies. Every game I own is an original. So to say I condone piracy is very untrue. I do download series from the US but most of these are in HD and I would gladly buy them instead of downloading but I they arent avialible to buy. I have purchased over 10 titles in WMV HD and am always on the look out for new titles.

In fact this week I have bought 2 stand alone dvd players oner for my bedroom and one for my father. I dont mind splashing the cash on AV goodies, as its one of my hobbies.

Get your facts straight before you start accusing people. :hiya:

15. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the link to the winDVD6 download
    WinDVD6
    the demo only runs for 14 days & only 5mins playback on a DVD not long enough IMO to evaluate it properly.
    You should try PowerDVD6 demo as well as it's very good :)

16. patduk

patduk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor,

So pointing people to location of a cracked piece of software is not condoning it. That makes a lot of sense. :( :confused:

17. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    patduk i think you are right Razor was wrong to post about cracked versions i'm sure it's against forum rules. Razor's reply was fine apart from the last line.
    Razor's a good guy & has given out a lot of sound advice in this forum but not this time unfortunately.

patduk just looked through your post's saw u got a well deserved week long ban for starting a flame war perhaps u can try to be more helpfull in future instead of winding everyone up :nono:

18. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    ...anyway.... I've now installed windvd6 (2wk demo) and powerstrip, I guess it would have made sense to get a long-enough DVI lead before I ran the software, but i didn't.

19. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Maybe I was wrong in my post but as steve says you only get a five minute demo of windvd6 which isnt very long at all. At least with a cracked version you set to use the product properly before you splash your cash.

One thing to note is cracked versions are not upto date with the latest codec's etc which can vastly improve the picture and sound quality. So having a cracked version long term is not benifical as you do not recieve the updated codecs and therefore the best performance. Its a bit like getting a virus checker from 2001 a which hasnt been updated in 4 years.

When I try to display a picture on my RD65 I always try and get the most out of it, as you say I have spent £4000 on this display so whats a few quid on a dvd program.

If I have broken any rules or offended anyone then I am sorry. My intentions were good.

Also thanks for the kind words steve :smashin:

20. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,069
    I'm sure they were, and I take your point about trialling. However, we can't be seen to "promote" (to any extent, or for any reason) pirating or the use of pirated - unlicenced - cracked (etc etc) material.

21. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've gone way off topic guys.... :( :( .....oh well i got a couple of replies i suppose

i noticed the Tosh has a sharper image, this to me is quite important, well anything that looks like CRT is....but the samsung has a far more stable picture, more of the time...uum.........a less sharp image to me, seems like out of focus or blurred.

what is the samsung like in comparison to the RD 50?

i need to see one of these set up correctly....only one and then i have a reference point to work from, but i cant tell from what i saw at Currys because it was set up so badly.

22. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO as a RD50 owner the sammy looks better when they are both switched off :devil:
    Haven't seen the sammy in action so cannot say if it is better or worse than the RD50 regarding the picture quality.

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

I totally understand and please accept my apology

24. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    IMHO the tosh gives a better picture, the HD2 gives a sharper image than the sammy, and the picture is awsome with a good source, but it is down to personal taste, and nothing beats a good demo.

whichever one you go for you wont be dissapointed

25. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +918
    my attitude is buy the cheaper 1 now cause im sure every 1 would want to upgrade there old sets when the super sets come out in 18month -2years :thumbsup: then at least you wont have wasted to much money the tosh and the sammy are both good sets but i dont know if the pic quality is £1200 worth between the sets :smashin:

26. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi guys - you can get the samsung from costco for £2232 apparently with 3yr warranty so that's only £700 difference now or £540 if you include the £160 for a three year warranty. For that kind of price difference I'd have bought the samsung rather than the Toshiba but at the time I couldn't justify the extra outlay.

The Toshiba picture can be excellent at times and on still or slow moving images it can be amazing with every source including SDTV but as soon as the camera pans across an image at a medium speed on SDTV (the worst), DVD or even HD - I've seen horrendous blurs that are appalling and totally unacceptable on a TV in this price bracket. Trying to watch TV or focus on an image or face when this blurring occurs is impossible and to try and do so very quickly induces a headache.

So i'm in the process of returning mine and i'm looking forward to watching TV again on my 6 year old 40" Toshiba CRT rptv as frankly its better (no where near as sharp and i'll miss that but it doesn't give me eye strain or a headache).

Now my particular TV may be particularly bad or I may be a picky bugger but this blur has been reported to a greater or lesser extent in reviews and by other Toshiba owners. For me its too much to bear and seeing it on HD turned me right off. Be aware that most HD demos do not show people's faces or slow/medium speed paning shots across faces and this is where you'll see it the worst. I never saw it on most of the popular WMV demos or the Madagascar or shark tale divx (apparently animations always look good) but I did see it on the "In Good Company" divx movie trailer and the "Rules of Attraction" WMV demo. The former features lots of ordinary people talking shots which is normal TV viewing fodder and the blurs were evident. Not as bad as normal TV and DVD but there non the less which means they will be visible on HDTV. I also saw it in the HL2 game via VGA when standing in one spot and turning in a circle - you see walls blurring.

Also so far Toshiba have said this is not a fault of the set so i'm paying a £300 re-stocking fee and I wouldn't be doing this if I could live with the picture. However, don't take my word for it - you must judge for yourself. Just be aware that this is an issue on the Toshiba.

Sorry if you don't agree with me or you think i'm being too harsh but I wanted to state my findings in clear and unambigious terms to warn other potential buyers.

So at this price difference once my Toshiba is gone I may start looking at the samsung again. As far as I know it does not suffer with these blurs - nor does the RD50 or RD65. Not sure about the HD45?

Cheers
    KableMan

27. fleagledog

fleagledog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to make this 'blur' issue crystal clear (I have posted this before). Now I know what to look for, I have seen the blurring on crt's, plasmas, and even in the cinema. It is NOT a Toshiba problem or even a DLP problem. It is down to the source pure and simple. There is no question though, that because the Tosh has a sharp large picture, it is exagerated.

28. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everybody has grown up with crt sets & are well aware of their picture qualities
    i had a 36" goodmans i bought in Comets a few years ago & i never saw these blurs , i also do not see them on the Optoma RD50. The only blurs i see are ones that are intentional by the programme makers & would show up on any type of set.

29. fleagledog

fleagledog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said: 'Now I know what to look for'. I never saw them at all until they were mentioned in this forum. The same blurs do definitely exist on other formats but because you are not looking for them, they are not seen. There is another thread where I did a comparison between different formats on the same famous Gladiator 3:16 blur. It existed to a greater or lesser degree on all formats proving, once and for all, that it was the source not the format.

30. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    I dont see blurs with my RD65. I can spin around on the spot with Half life 2 and its totally fine. All I do get is dizzy lol... :)