Question Which diy screen material?

jason shep

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’d appreciate some advice/suggestions for diy screen material, the current PJ is an Optoma HD27e, (I’ll upgrade in the future but I’m happy with it for now)
It’ll be in a living room with blackout blinds but a white ceiling & will also be used for casual daytime viewing, aiming for 300cm diagonal 16x9 format, screen material to be permanently fixed directly to the wall & fixings covered with black border material, I’m aiming for a flush finish so want to avoid a timber frame.

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Cheers all
J

In 2001 I went to Harkness Screens and bought high contrast grey and made my own screen on a window roller blind chassis. But could have made a fixed screen with it.

Here is a good place to start:
And there is a German company selling screen material by the m2 - L something I think.

Hi all,
I’d appreciate some advice/suggestions for diy screen material, the current PJ is an Optoma HD27e, (I’ll upgrade in the future but I’m happy with it for now)
It’ll be in a living room with blackout blinds but a white ceiling & will also be used for casual daytime viewing, aiming for 300cm diagonal 16x9 format, screen material to be permanently fixed directly to the wall & fixings covered with black border material, I’m aiming for a flush finish so want to avoid a timber frame.

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Cheers all
J

If it's permanently going to be attached to the wall and you want it flush to the wall then you are actually a perfect customer for painting the wall in screen paint and the beauty of that is you don't need borders so can alter your screen size and aspect to you heart's desire.

If you are a member of AVSForum it would be worthwhile PMing both Biglen and Mississippiman.

Thanks Luminated67, incredibly, I’ve just emailed Maurice (MississippiMan) about purchasing some BlackFlame:thumbsup:
I especially like the idea of coating the whole wall, thereby helping to lose the black bars when viewing movies.
I was in contact with Maurice over Christmas time, trying to get a quote from him but I think he was very busy at that time, I’ll have to stay on his case this time.

It's worthwhile buying a sprayer, I know it's an added expense but they come in very handy for painting fences and even internal walls in a fraction of the time it takes with a roller.

Definitely, I actually already have one that attaches to my air compressor, I’ll dig it out & have a practice with it once we’ve moved into our new place :thumbsup:

Definitely, I actually already have one that attaches to my air compressor, I’ll dig it out & have a practice with it once we’ve moved into our new place :thumbsup:

The great thing about Maurice is he helps you every step of the way to achieve the best results. If my room hadn't had a door where I mount the screen I would have sprayed the wall for sure.

I’ve heard back from Maurice & he’s sending me a pro-forma invoice, I’m going to get this ordered :thumbsup:

Hi, do you mind me asking how much it is for the paint please? What shade are you going for?
Thanks
Hi James,
I never received the pro forma invoice from MississippiMan, (same as when I tried to purchase around last Christmas time) but the price for 2quarts was $130 + $70 postage.
Having looked further into painting screens, I discovered Black Widow on this forum & will be using that paint mix.

Hi, thanks. Yeah, I have used BWUK on my last 2 screens but was hoping to find out there is a good upgrade now it's time to paint the 3rd screen. BWUK is a great cheap mix, definitely try and spray it if you can with lots of light coats too!

Another thought. On my barge I have a 2m wide IKEA light grey blackout roller blind. Just the correct shade of grey😁😁

Hi, thanks. Yeah, I have used BWUK on my last 2 screens but was hoping to find out there is a good upgrade now it's time to paint the 3rd screen. BWUK is a great cheap mix, definitely try and spray it if you can with lots of light coats too!

Based on everything I have read on all painted screen mixes you want very light coats and multiple coats (8-10) gives the best smoothest results.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom