1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DIVX player should I buy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by richierich, Jul 2, 2005.

1. richierich

richierich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hellllllo :hiya:

Sorry you guys prob get asked this a lot... I did look thru the forums but still can't decide.....

Heres the requirements:

1) Proper support with regular upgrades. Had my fingers burnt with yamada 6000 before... they stopped upgrades 1 month after I bought it (firmware from dec 2003!!!) so it hardly plays anything and when it does its out of sync.

2) Spend about 100 pounds tops.
    looked at xbox - with xmbc too pricey as I don't play games.
    Kiss players seem bit pricey - are they really worth upto 4x the cost of others?

3) Decent brand with good mechanical and simple ui design.
    Found yamada was crap mechanics - discs got stuck a few times and the user iterface and remote are shocking.....

4) Flexibility with media.
    Yamada 6000 was pretty fussy, only plays certain dvd-rs.

Most promising at scan (http://www.scan.co.uk/search/search.asp?criteria=divx) looks like the nissan.

Also cheap at microdirect http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductLister.aspx?Stockcode=divx
    is the......ahem yamada......

or better to buy both?!!? :)

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    1, Nobody offers future support. The best you can do for now is buy a well rounded spec'ed machine that supports packed bitsteam.

2, Kiss has plenty of issues, they are not better or worse than anyone else.

3, Pioneer 585 ?

4, Pionner 470/575 isn't media fussy.

Buy the Yamada 6700. Its cheap, not media fussy, does PB or wait for the next generation fo divx players. Nissan is just another mediatek player and no better or worse than any other.

3. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    You don't give much info on what you need apart from not fussy with media and the cost. There are only two players that will play Packed Bitstream at the moment and with the amount of PB films about I believe it is a bit of a mistake purchasing anything that cannot play them properly (the majority). The Yamada 6700 and Targa are the only players that will play PB films so take your pick based on features that you need. Is a card reader useful? Dolby and DTS decoders? Progressive Scan? Then a Targa is the player you might like otherwise if you don't need these features (I don't believe the Yamada has a DTS decoder but someone will correct me if I am wrong) then the Yamada 6700 will do.

The Targa is available from Germany or on eBay from a nice bloke at aediscount, read the big thread on DivX players as I gave a phone number in it to purchase from Germany directly from Targa if that is your preference. I had to return mine due to some problems I was having, CityLink misdelivering it to the wrong address twice didn't help. I sent it back via Royal Mail (Mistake) and they lost it or stole it, it didn't turn up at aediscount anyway. Anyway Ray at aediscount still sent me a replacement. I recommend aediscount for anyone who is otherwise warey of using eBay.

4. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think you're a little bit misleading about PB, because even my Philips 623 can read it and I don't think it is something so special about Targa or such. the bigger problem in my book could be Q-pel and GMC variant of Xvid, not Packed bitstream.All Mediatek players should read it though.

5. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    That is not true, the Pioneer and many other players have problems (jerky playback) attempting to play PB avi files. Q-Pixel and GMC (to a limited extent) are already available in the Yamada but are rarely used in encoded from my experience. Most of the movies I have received recently have used Packed Bitstream and none have been Quarter-Pixel or used GMC to my knowledge (although this is not something I have looked for). Read the Mpeg4Modifier thread over at Doom9 to find out the problems people were having with PB unless the PB is removed (fairly easily using Mpeg4Modifier).

6. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have none of these problems with any PB movie with my Philips, and never used MPeg4modifier to correct this. The only problem I have is Q-pel movies refused to play but jerky playback is sommething unknown for me, be it PB or not. so I think your statement about the Targa and Yamada be it the only players in the world playing PB is simply wrong.

7. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Many players have problems with packed bitsteam. All should read them, its more how the decode eg smoothly or jerky. If you search on this forum you'll find other machines that have issues. Though the Targa / Yamada are the only mediatek based players to currently do packed bitsteam properly. Other chips from ESS, Sigma, Zoran do PB without a problem though they are older designed chips and don't have as many other features so its swings and roundabouts.

8. richierich

richierich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :smashin:

Thanks very much for the replies :cool:

Looks like I will be going for the yamada... whilst surfin i found a good site called my-yamda.co.uk you guys might be interested in.

OH found another site selling cheap players too :

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=DIVX

But before i bay the 6700 - when are the next gen of players coming? worth me hanging on for a bit?

Cheers :cool:

9. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Mediatek are very secretive company (check website for no details on anything!) so no idea when the next gen stuff from them comes out. As a guide the brand new Pioneer divx 585 (?) player out this month in the UK uses the same generation chip.

Ess, Vibro2 still being used I believe but check Ess website for new chip details.

Zoran, Vladdis 7 still being user but check Zoran website for new chip details.

Sigma have HD chipsets out, used in a few players already but they not sure any are out in the UK yet and not cheap either. I-O Data AV Link Player 2 uses the latest Sigma chipset.

Amazon.co.uk sell the 6700 for 39.99 and free P&P.

10. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I have the 575 in another room and it plays everything i toss at it. As for PB there is a little program i use i run a PB file threw it tick a box and it will output a unpacked file so Pb isnt a problem for anyone really if they have couple of mins to run it thru a program.

11. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    supermacken, yup mpeg4modifier to unpack before you burn sorts it. Some people find that too much hassle though ! Anyway just making people aware of the issue.

12. richierich

richierich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :thumbsup:

Just had a look at pioneers website - 585 looks a real sexy machine and available for 99 squid too. But checking spec shows "This player can play DivX video files burned on CD-R/RW/ROM discs". :eek: Does that mean all my divx on dvd-r won't play?

13. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    The spec pioneer list are not always the whole truth. For example the 470/575 do not mention DVD+ formats and yet they work fine. VBR mp3 are not mentioned and yet they are fine. AC3 sound with divx ...again always works find. I would't read too much into that.

14. al5000

al5000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    looks like i'm still getting jerky playback on most of my divx disks,even with the new firmware installed.
    in the setup menu on the dvd player should all the bitstream,be highlighted.which mine are.
    i'm just guessing that maybe i'm doing somthing wrong in the setup menu.
    and thats why i'm getting a jerky picture.i'm begining to think i been unlucky,and bought a faulty targa (hope i hav'nt though)
    :lease:

15. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    You might have a faulty player, I have just received my replacement Targa from aediscount, I have only just started testing it, but so far so good. :) I cannot get into the service menu though, I did have trouble getting into it on the last Targa I had, it is tricky.

16. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    You might have a faulty player, I have just received my replacement Targa from aediscount, I have only just started testing it, but so far so good. :) I cannot get into the service menu though, I did have trouble getting into it on the last Targa I had, it is tricky. I wanted to check which firmware is installed before updating it. I also want to check the eeprom values too before doing the region hack as I am fairly certain that those must contain the region code.

17. richierich

richierich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :D

OK I've almost decided to give the pioneer dv-575 a try (as richer sounds do a fourteen day trial)

But is it worth me waiting for dv-585? What are the differences between the 575 and the 585?

:cool:

18. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    About 10 ;-) In reality very little....

19. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Have you considered Samsungs HD DVD-850/945/950? all play DivX 850 = £99/950 = £130

20. richierich

richierich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    @NX3 :D yes I thought as much! I phoned pioneer and they said the same thing!

@Caimbeul Thanks. But I'm not to fussed about hd compat and no firmware updates on sanyo's website so not a good sign. at least pioneer has firmware updates via cd.

21. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
  22. richierich

richierich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :thumbsup:

Well I have been cheapskate and bought the yamda 6700!!! 46 squid - and i have it on trial for a week so.....

how do i check the current firmware version?

I think it needs updating as the on screeen display stays on and if you fast foward the audio starts at begining whilst video contunes.

Any recommendations for which firmware? I only play divx without subtitles.

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

:hiya: richierich

Try this link...

http://www.yamada.de/FWupdate/FWsearch.htm

Follow the instructions, its very easy. :D

24. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
  25. richierich

richierich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :smashin: Thanks Razor

But how do I know I actually need to update?
    Maybe it has latest in there already and why risk upgrade?

Thanks for help :)

26. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    You mean to say that actually released the LG over here? Took them long enough, although the model number is slightly different, the Aussies have had them a long time. I wonder if they are any different?
    2Kg do me a favour, I sent my Targa back and it weighed 4.3Kg, that must be one meaty remote control (2.3Kg) lol

Still, can't beat the price, higher specified, better built and lower priced. Black only won't suit everyone, but it did suit me as that was the colour Targa I purchased which is doing well now :)

27. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    It could be but I doubt it. There must be a way to check what firmware your running.

A friend bought one 2 weeks ago and it needed a firmware update. Mine is only 8 weeks old.

:D

28. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    "You mean to say that actually released the LG over here?"

No, its a French / Euro model and Pixmania are a French / Euro supplier. LG europe sell divx players its just in the UK where they don't have a clue.

29. techie

techie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone tried the yamada 6500x ?? divx @£39.99