• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which distro for server use only?

e46_m3

I have a webstore based on OSCommerce and have recently changed webhosts and my new host will not allow shell access on shared accounts which is a real pain so I have decided to use an old box here and do my dev work on that and then upload to my live server once I have tested etc.

What distro would be best for me considering I just want to use the CLI and basically will be using it for testing MySQL and PHP only? The server Im on is running Centos Enterprise 5.2 and I would like something "compatible" so my dev store is a true reflection of what it will look like live and also want something thats pretty quick and as small download as possible.

Thanks

Jase

Brainiac5

If you require commercial support and want it to be as close as possible to CentOS then Redhat would be a perfect fit.
If you don't want support then why not put CentOS there as well?

Robfrancis

Assuming your hardware is ok my first port of call would be CentOS 5.2? :D

Seconded.

Wouldn't say that redhat itself was a good choice here because you have to pay for support on the RH 5 Ent.

We use fedora 8 on our servers because we found that Cent 5.2 had a few hiccups over some parts of a kernel recompile we run on a fresh install.

s7mx1

Standard Member
Ubuntu Jeos or Ubuntu Server would suit you. Remember you can setup chroot so you can use the exact dev environment as what you want.

I have a webstore based on OSCommerce and have recently changed webhosts and my new host will not allow shell access on shared accounts which is a real pain so I have decided to use an old box here and do my dev work on that and then upload to my live server once I have tested etc.

What distro would be best for me considering I just want to use the CLI and basically will be using it for testing MySQL and PHP only? The server Im on is running Centos Enterprise 5.2 and I would like something "compatible" so my dev store is a true reflection of what it will look like live and also want something thats pretty quick and as small download as possible.

Thanks

Jase

robod

Standard Member
I'd vote for Cent5.2 as well :rotfl:
I'm not using it, but it makes sense to use the same as your production server. Less things can go wrong, especially as you don't have terminal access to it.
If you are worried about administration of the server, just install webmin (Webmin) and you can do most things via web interface...

Assuming your hardware is ok my first port of call would be CentOS 5.2? :D

richard_t

Debian would be my recommendation without a doubt.

I wouldn't use anything else given the choice and have it running at home on my desktop and server. At work we use a combination of HP-UX, Solaris and RHEL 4&5 and while they've all got their uses in the right situation, Debian comes out top for all round greatness in my opinion.

If you download the netinstall version (I'd recommend Lenny if you're wanting reasonably new versions of PHP or MySQL), you can be up and running with a super clean system & stable system within 30 mins tops. Just make sure that you don't choose any of the System types during the installation such as Desktop or File Server when given the option. That way you'll end up with a basic system that doesn't include all the crap that the other distributions force on you. You can then add just the packages that you need.

If you decide to go down this route and need any help at all then i'll be more than happy to answer over PM any questions that you might have. :thumbsup:

tinoest

I second the recommendation for debian, running it across all 5 systems I have here. Stable, secure and hardly ever goes wrong.

As above any issues send me a PM or start a thread and i'll do my best to help.

Galorin

Standard Member
I'm a Debian/Slackware fan myself, as long as you are running the same version of PHP,MySQL, and Apache as your provider, then it doesn't matter what distro you use. CentOS isn't a bad place to start.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom