Which Discs Do You Use??

southpaw

Established Member
Reaction score
Wonder if a STICKY could be attached to this??

I've just ordered a Panny E85 and I thought it would be a good idea for other DVD Recorder Owner to list their machine and what make and model discs they use, and any compatability problems they've incurred.

e.g Panasonic E85 - I use ******* discs and only had 1 coaster out of 50, have also used ******* discs with 5 coasters out of 20.

Or something like that.

Oh and where you bought them from and how much? Are we allowed to use links?

Hope this can help other uses to get the best deal on discs without having problems guessing whether they'll work.:smashin:

I have a Panasonic E85, and use Panasonic DVD-Rs.

I got a pack free when I pre-ordered the machine from avland, and have since bought some more from the Panasonic website (70 for £59.99)

Haven't had a coaster yet (touch wood), but have only made a handful of discs.

i have panny E-85 + usePanny dvd-r +ram. not a problem

I have the Sony GX3 and use Maxell -R & -RW disks. I also have used Mirror -R and they work just as well. All three types once recorded on play fine on my Panasonic S75 player. I havn't tried out +RW disks on the Sony as the editing facilities in +RW mode are very limited.

Maxell -R disks are on offer at the moment at Morrisons for 5 in Library cases @ £9.99 plus one pack of 5 free. Strange though that Morrisons sell Maxell -R & +RW but not +R and -RW:rolleyes:

John

I've been using Memorex DVD-Rs in my E85. No problems so far, but I've only used a handful.

Picked them up in Smiths for £5.99. Not a bad high street price for jewel cases, but I've taken the plunge and ordered a spindle of Verbatims.

Thanks everyone so far.:smashin:

Cmon guys 147 hits and only 4 posts???? Does anyone else use discs???? :lease:

DVD-R media.
I use Panasonic DVD-Rs for use in Panasonic HS2 so far without any coasters. In my PC (LG 8040 burner) I use Sony DVD-R, JVC and Pioneer DVD-Rs with minimal coasters. None in fact for the Sony or Pioneer disks - 1 for the JVC. In total those figures count for around 200 disks. Branded media is definetly the way forward IMHO.

DVD-RAM Media
Only use Panasonic media.

DVD-RW Media
Use Sony and JVC disks and both seem very reliable.

Sorry to be a little contrary but I think that only praising Panasonic DVD-RAM does a disservice to the Datasafe 9.4 GB DVD-RAM series which, for me, have behaved flawlessly on a Panny E100.

A good price from SVP Communications (I have absolutely no commercial connection with them) means that I can use DVD-RAM as a hugely enhanced form of VHS at about the same price for S-VHS. Added to that is being able to use the same media for about 99,900 more recordings!

2 x Panasonic E-50s (one at home and one in the work) approx 400 discs

DVD-Rs - Verbatim 2x Printable discs & Verbatim 4x Pastel discs.
DVD-RAM – Panasonic

No coasters and no problems.

The writers on my pc have used approx 160 discs between them (100 Datasafe, 25 Arita, 25 Verbatim Pastel, 5 Datasafe DVD-RW, and a few Ridiscs that I have just started using)

NEC ND1300a (firmware 1.08)

DVD-Rs – Datasafe 4x discs, Arita 4x discs, Ridisc 4x discs, Verbatim 4x Pastel Discs.
DVD-RW – Datasafe 2x discs.
DVD+R & DVD+RW – Haven’t used any.

One coaster today (Ridisc, burned but wouldn’t finalise for some reason), just started trying out Ridiscs so have only tried a couple and they also only seem to burn at 2x all the rest of the DVD-Rs burn at 4x and the RWs burn at 2x with no coasters and no problems.

LG GSA 4082B (firmware A201)

DVD-Rs - Datasafe 4x discs, Arita 4x discs, Ridisc 4x discs, Verbatim 4x Pastel Discs, Ridisc 8x discs.
DVD-RW – Haven’t used any on this drive.
DVD+R & DVD+RW – Haven’t used any.
DVD-RAM – Panasonic

No coasters, again just started trying out the Ridiscs, 4x burn at 4x on LG but the 8x only burns at 4x.

Probably won't be getting the Ridiscs again. ;) :)

Hammy

On my Toshiba RDSX30 i use Datawrite Yellow -R disks and have only one coaster in over a 100 recordings.
Use the same disks on my Panasonic SW9581 again with no problems.
E-buyer have these disks on spindles of 25 for about £9 or so.

Panic

see my post re datasafe -r bought 25,so far 4 out of 4 are coasters only 21 to go.no way will I buy any more of these after the time and money wasted so far.i'd rather pay double for Sony as at least they seem to work.As you can probably tell, these things have stretched my patience somewhat.

I have the Sony GX3 and use Maxell -R & -RW disks. I also have used Mirror -R and they work just as well. All three types once recorded on play fine on my Panasonic S75 player.

This is interesting. Up to now I've been using Panasonic RAM's and Datasafe 4x -R's and all work just fine on my E50 and S75 with no interchangeability issues.

Just recently got a Sony GX3 and decided to try some Datasafe 4x -RW's and the -R's but these discs seem to really screw up this machine. With one disc, I could not get it out of "Recover"and with another, it would not read the disc data and wouldn't "power off". In both cases I've returned the units to the retailer for exchange and I'm now on my 3rd GX3. I can't believe this is a "Sony" problem so, based on what you're saying, I'll try some Maxells and see what happens.

thanks

Originally posted by Northerner
Just recently got a Sony GX3 and decided to try some Datasafe 4x -RW's and the -R's but these discs seem to really screw up this machine. With one disc, I could not get it out of "Recover"and with another, it would not read the disc data and wouldn't "power off". In both cases I've returned the units to the retailer for exchange and I'm now on my 3rd GX3. I can't believe this is a "Sony" problem so, based on what you're saying, I'll try some Maxells and see what happens.

thanks
Think you should find the Maxells are fine on the GX3. Also tried a TDK -RW in VR mode on the Sony GX3 today and had no problems. I picked the TDK disk up on ebay for 99p for one - its a good idea to try and bid on a single disk that appear on ebay from time to time before you commit yourself to a pack of 25 etc.

John

I have a SONY RDR-GX3

I use Sony +RW and -RW.

+RW and -RW have different facilities but they also produce a different image. +RW give a "flat" but natural image while -RW give more 3D effect but sometimes makes "fog" and/or pixels.

datawrite red v2 seem to be ok :) but i tried using them in a sony ns900 after burning a few things from my pana 55 and the sony didnt wanna know,c13-00 error came up on the display which is strange considering it plays the same discs when i use the pc to burn stuff onto.looks like the pana burning software and the sony ns900 are not compatable :( so does any one have a ns900 and a pana 55 or any pana dvd recorder and has disc both machines have no problem with???

I have a panny DMR E50, an s75, an s35 and an LG 4081a.

Using Panny or Datawrite Classic yellows for DVD-R and Panny DVD-RAMS plus an odd Maxell DVD-RAM which I haven't tried yet apart from formatting.

No problems with playback on any of the machines with any of the discs. Burning onto the Datawrites or Panny DVD-Rs using the 4081 has shown no problems either. I haven't tried burning a Datawrite on the DMR E50 though (or a panny DVD-R come to think of it). Recording onto Panny DVD-RAMs and playing back on any of the equipment has also shown no problems. I usually record at max speed on the 4081.

Phil

Think you should find the Maxells are fine on the GX3.

Well, my pack of Maxell -RW's & -R's arrived and I've tried them and everything seems fine now. I like the Datasafes that I've been using but the GX3 is not so keen on them:thumbsdow

Maxells cost a bit more but they really look the business as well:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom