Which Disc Player for a 5.1 Surround System?

rsbrux

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a player to complement my existing 5.1 surround setup. I need it mostly to play old CDs and DVDs (not even HD!). I have exactly one BluRay-disc and little incentive to buy more, since we already have Netflix. Were I to buy more discs they would more likely be opera than film.
Nonetheless, I would like to have something which can handle as many formats as possible, especially as several manufacturers have already given up making disc players.
If possible, I would like to be able to remote control the player without line-of-sight contact. Since I already have a Yamaha receiver with back panel IR in/out connections, I was hoping to get a Yamaha disc player with the same feature. Unfortunately, Yamaha has already stopped selling disc players here in Switzerland.
As an alternative, I am looking at Panasonic players, since I already have a Panasonic TV with Viera Link. I am particularly interested in the DP-UB9004. Is it really worth three times the price of its cheaper siblings?
Are there alternatives I have failed to consider?

Any of the current players are all backward compatible for DVD and will play CDs. Unfortunately there are few SACD capable players on the market at the moment with Panasonic not having that or DVD-A in their armoury. Any upscaling is best left to the TV itself.

Unless you do require SACD and DVD-A then the Panasonics are probably the best on the market at the moment with a good spread of prices to suit most pockets.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom