1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which disc for 'Starters'

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dennis Leighton, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My new JVC DR-MV1 will be delivered in the next day or two. I am anxious to transfer about 80 VHS tapes to disc - each being 3 hours in length - so that they can be archived. Which disc format is the best for this purpose and will a 3 hour tape go onto one disc? I'd very much appreciate some help.
    Many thanks.

2. CHR1S

CHR1S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on what quality you are wanting, I have archived all of my VHS tapes in XP mode which gives you 1hour per 4.6GB DVD, mine were irriplacable home movies which I wanted to copy without loosing any quality. I would personally experiment with DVD-RW or +RW before you create 'coasters' with non erasable -R / +R media.

Chris

3. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found the compatibility guides when buying blanks from svp.co.uk to be pretty useful. You can also order sample packs from there which might help.

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Yes, experiment with DVD-RWs to become accustomed to the machine and the recording quality options. Don't even think of archiving on -RW though as they are generally not as robust as DVD-R.

Personally I find 2 hours per DVD to give very good results but would certainly not risk going beyond that figure.

5. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thank you All for your speedy and knowledgeable replies. They have helped enormously.