Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which disc for 'Starters'

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dennis Leighton, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    My new JVC DR-MV1 will be delivered in the next day or two. I am anxious to transfer about 80 VHS tapes to disc - each being 3 hours in length - so that they can be archived. Which disc format is the best for this purpose and will a 3 hour tape go onto one disc? I'd very much appreciate some help.
    Many thanks.

2. CHR1S

CHR1S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on what quality you are wanting, I have archived all of my VHS tapes in XP mode which gives you 1hour per 4.6GB DVD, mine were irriplacable home movies which I wanted to copy without loosing any quality. I would personally experiment with DVD-RW or +RW before you create 'coasters' with non erasable -R / +R media.

Chris

3. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found the compatibility guides when buying blanks from svp.co.uk to be pretty useful. You can also order sample packs from there which might help.

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Yes, experiment with DVD-RWs to become accustomed to the machine and the recording quality options. Don't even think of archiving on -RW though as they are generally not as robust as DVD-R.

Personally I find 2 hours per DVD to give very good results but would certainly not risk going beyond that figure.

5. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thank you All for your speedy and knowledgeable replies. They have helped enormously.