1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Digital SLR??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by aliflack, Jun 28, 2004.

1. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, question is:

Which digital SLR would you go for at the moment with a budget of around £600-900?

Reviews of the Canon EOS300D look pretty good, as does the Nikon D70... what d'ya guys think??

Would appreciate any recommendations/ideas, especially input on lenses included with some of the cameras in this price range (and whether its worth getting just a body)

Cheers!

2. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    With your Budget the best 2 choices are the 2 you named although if you saved a little more you could get the Canon 10D which can be had body only for £929 delivered

which is a huge saving over regular stores, the Canon 300d is a great camera and will give you hours of enjoyment.. cant comment on the Nikon but it also gets glowing reports from its users... you wont be dissapointed with either

3. Juliesinar

Juliesinar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi,

I think both the 300D and D70 are good choices. The kit lenses are handy for getting a relatively wide-angle zoom for very little money and would be a good starting point if that is all you can afford, perhaps with the view of getting better lenses later.

A 50mm F1.8 is also a nice lens to have as it is very cheap, fast and gives excellent picture quality.

I have a Canon 10D which is capable of excellent quality pictures, the 300D has the same sensor so should produce similar results. I believe you can get a hack to give the 300D some of the features of the 10D.

I have not used the D70 but on paper it is very well specified for the money, so probably spec for spec the best value of the 2.

Have you handled both? I think think you should have a play with them side by side and get a feel for them and let that influence, in part, which you decide to buy.

Also consider the lens ranges of both models, and compare prices for lenses that you think you might buy at some point, the cost of these can soon mount up and make your initial investment in the body seem very insignificant.

I think given similar circumstances there would be very little real difference in the pictures you take with either camera, so unless one has a "must have" feature that you need you should let your gut instinct guide you when you get a hands on, either way I don't think you can wrong.

4. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that chaps, muchly appreciated!

haven't had the time to go and play with them yet (thats saturday taken care of!) but will look forward to getting my hands on the beasts...

5. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    From what i've heard, the D70 seems to be the better bet, although i guess it depends what kind of photography you want to do.

I actually was quite stretched for budget when i bought mine last month, i had £1000 but wanted a long telephoto lens which was quite sharp. I ended up going for a Sigma SD9 camera, not the best for sports and indoor stuff, but it was really cheap.

Don't forget to factor in memory card pricing, with the +6mp resolution pictures, a smaller card will get full quickly, especially if you're shooting raw.

6. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Do you have a 35mm SLR? Old Nikon lenses are compatible with the new Digital SLRs. Not sure about the Cannons.

If you're going for the D70 (and I would/will), I would get a kit, including the 18-70 lens (roughly equivelent to 28-105 for old 35mm).

Also, have a look at the Jessop price matching thread.

7. Coot

Coot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can recommend the D70 - had mine a week now just playing around before I do anything serious.

There are a few places doing the kit lens at 850 ish but the waiting times can drag on a fair bit.

Cheers,

Pete.

8. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    'the lens kit'? Is that the 18-70? Dixon were doing a different (cheaper) lens kit for £850. Any high street places doing the 18-70 kit for £850?

9. Coot

Coot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not sure of any high street places, though Jessops are supposed to price match.

www.cameradepot.co.uk have the official kit for about 850, I was on the waiting list until I got one from elsewhere.

Cheers,

Pete.

10. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    In my personal opinion, if no have no current system to retain compatibility with then Canon is the better 'System' to buy into, but Nikon has the better camera out of these two.

If size/weight is at all an issue then also consider the Pentax *istD which is the smallest/lightest on the market, has the same sensor as the D70 and better build (metal chassis).

Also maybe check out the Olympus E1 which has just come down in price - blows your budget slightly but the build quality is far superior to anything in its price range now.

If you step up in price, the Canon 10D is the way to go - the Nikon D100 is not as good image-quality-wise as the D70 and is long in the tooth now. But the 10D is huge and heavy.

11. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Aliflack, I have a 300D with lens kit and find it excellent.
    I know the D70 has had lots of praise, not held one in my hand yet. But if I was going to buy a new camera now with you sort of budget I would buy a 10D. Not that there's anything wrong with the 300D, it's just that you can now get a 10D for £929.00 (body only) from www.7dayshop.com or a 300D+ lens for £629.00. Happy shopping,

ASH1 :smashin:

12. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as I don't have an SLR already I don't have any particular alligence when it comes to lens...

having managed to get my hands on both the D70 and E300D I was leaning towards the Nikon... however, then I looked at the Canon Powershot Pro 1. Its not an SLR in that the lens is fixed, but by the sounds of it it does pretty much everything the 300D does and to a higher res! Coupled with the fact that it has an L series lens (apparently the daddy of lens?) and is going to be easier to lug about... well lets just say I'm tempted by it!

Anyone have any experience with the Powershot Pro 1?

I guess I can't really justify spending up to a grand on a camera at this stage - I'm just getting interested in photography thats over and above simply point and shoot. Sounds like the D70 and E300d may be overkill...

13. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    d70 any day :thumbsup: i use the d100 and im over the moon with it ,pictures are awsome .

Attached Files:

14. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Well...Canon 300D for me!

Worked out well, as it uses same batteries as my MV650i Canon camcorder. (not that that is a really good reason to by one or the other).

But I'm well chuffed with the 300D results so far, even with the supplied lens and a cheapo Canon 75-300 USM III.
    Might go for a Sigma 175-500 as well, or save for a L series Canon.

I've only really used the 300D in creative modes so far, but the proper functions should yeald even better pics in the future.

I never managed to get a pic accepted on airliners net with my old analogue Canon T80 and Tokina 300 zoom....remember those LOL, but already got two on with the 300D, and with no processing of the pic either. :clap: :smashin:

Check out here... http://www.airliners.net/open.file/602405/M/

15. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    More pixels plus MUCH smaller sensor = much, much smaller pixel sites each therefore able to catch much less light = MUCH more noise. Not necessarily a problem on a bright day, but as soon as the light levels drop a little, or you need a fast shutter speed then the DSLR will whip its ass every time!

Not saying the things arent good for what they are, but having used an SLR I could not live with the comparative losses in image quality. A second hand D30 forerunner of the D60) with 3Megapixels will actually yield a better qualty pic - its not how many it has got, but what it does with them!

16. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a 10D for a year, weight, bulk, blown highlights, poor flash photography, soft pictures, slow performance with RAW and probably a few other things made me decide to move on. Yes, it produces great pictures, but you better be an experienced photographer to get the best out of it. I had a D30 before that and preferred the D30 even though it had slower focusing and lower resolution.

Like yourself I found the new 8mp prosumer cameras very appealing and bought the Oly 8080 wide zoom. Nice compact camera (relative to an SLR) but has buttons in unatural places meaning you have to take the camera away from your eye to make changes. Also the noise from the sensor was objectionable in anything other than bright sunlight. The killer for me is the electronic viewfinder, it takes ages for the image to clear so that you can re-frame for your next shot.

I've now got the D70, which so far is the best one of the lot, great pictures, very fast operation (miles faster than the 10D), comes with a good kit lens which is more than adequate for most people, much better metering than the 10D so less blown highlights and much sharper pictures due to a less agressive AA filter. Better flash photo's than the 10D and lighter to carry around all day.

Rumour has it that Canon will be bringing out an updated 10D later in the year so it may be worth waiting to see what develops, it will certainly bring down the price of the current 10D, and affect the resale value on the second hand market.

17. wsurfa

wsurfa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    300d or D70 - both are excellent entry level dSLR's - the D70 is higher specced with far greater control options and is much faster. The 300d shares the 10D's sensor and hence it's excellent low iso noise profile (very smooth images at 100 and 200).

Depends what you want to use them for - if you're going to do any sports or shoot were you need fast shot to shot time or quick repsonse/wake up ability then the D70 is by far the best.

Otherwise (ignoring the level of control available in the D70) they're fairly similar.

Big mp compact cams e.g. sony 828 are more about marketing than peformance, L lens on the canon compact - again really marketing - a real L lens in the mid level zoom area will set you back £500-£1500. The noise levels are hopeless about about iso 100/200 , the dSLR's will give very good results at 800/1600 and acceptable at 3200 or equivalent.

An excellent site to visits and ask questions compare images is www.dpreview.com

HTH

Iain

18. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Both the 300D and the D70 are excellent cameras and will serve you perfectly. Both cameras have their advantages and disadvantages but its true to say that the D70 being the newer model is the better camera in terms of the body.

The write speed of RAW files on the D70 is blistering fast compared to the 300D which, like the 10D (which I have) is painfully slow but due to the size of the buffer isnt that big an issue.

The 300D can shoot at lower ISO's than the D70 meaning (on paper) that it should produce pictures with lower noise but the difference isnt that major and all shots I have seen from the D70 at its lowest ISO look perfect to me.

The 300D is a Canon and therefore has access to the entire range of Canon EF fit lenses which are generally excellent and in the case of the L range lenses, are generally superb. However Canon lenses are much more expensive then their Sigma and Tamron counter parts.

The D70 is a Nikon and so has a fantastic body.

The old adage of 'Nikon make the best bodies but Canon make the best lenses' is certainly demostrated between these two cameras.

The metering on the D70 is much better than that on the 300D, D100 and 10D

In my opinion (and this maybe because I'm used to the 10D) but the menu system seems easier to understand on the 300D than the D70.

If you are still considering these two cameras I would test both of them yourself for how they feel. When I was in the market for a DSLR my choices then were the D100 and the 10D but the D100 just didnt feel comfortable in my hands. Personally speaking I dont like the feel of either the 300D or the D70, both of them feel too small for me - I like a big chunky body that I can balance nicely. I would also seriously think about the lenses you want now and in the future. Although the D70 is the better body you may find that in the lenses you want it is the Canon range that are better than the Nikon.

At the end of the day though it has to be a camera you feel comfortable and happy with and not just the latest and greatest one. Yes the D70 has the edge on the 300D but its a certainty that in a few months/years there will be a newer and better one out. At the end of the day either camera will produce superb prints for you and will give you many years service.

Good Luck