1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which digital reciever?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by tomson, Feb 11, 2003.

1. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I'm looking into buying a digital reciever to eventually use with a motorised dish and wondered whether anyone has any suggestions as to what to go for. I'm not after anything too flash - maybe a couple of CIs, DiSEqC etc. I have been looking at some Manhattan, Humax and Technomate models.

I've not really used much sat equipment since owning a Pace MSS500, D2Mac reciever (with 3 LNBs squeezed onto an 80cn dish) many years ago so any pointers/recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Is has to be the humax but get one at the top of the range.

gb--

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which Humax model is for motorised use? I've had a quick look but I can only find Technomate and Echostar with built-in positioners.

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    The Humaxs i was looking at would need an external positioner - not really a problem, but an internal one would be neater.

The Technomate recievers look quite tempting - prices are excellent, lots of features etc, but i've no idea what build or reliability is like. Any ideas? There was quite a good write up about a Technomate in WotSat, but only the very basic model with no CIs - still, for 99quid it looked pretty good.

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if the Digital receiver needs a separate dish positioner box, how do you connect them together so selecting, say, channel 31 tells the positioner to move the dish to the appropriate satellite?

Sorry, I know a lot about fixed systems - especially $ky - but I'm not familiar with digital motorised. Dabbled a bit with analogue (Echostar SR5500).

Also, I understand that some Digital receivers use DisEqC signals to control a special DisEqC Horizon-to-Horizon dish mover. How can I tell which receivers can do this and which H-H dish movers are DisEqC compatible?

Are any of the receivers on this page any good for use with a separate positioner or a DisEqC H-H? I notice that some have an internal positioner so presumably they will connect directly to a jackarm or H-H with motor wires and reed switch pulse wires, like the old analogue ones?

Fman

6. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    B*gger! I was hoping you'd have the answers!

From the little I know about motorised systems i've gathered that its possible to run a single coax from dish to reciever and down that runs your normal signal plus any satellite position info. Essentially this is what i want as I have an already installed coax and dont want any more wires and holes in walls.

I've seen a few DisEqC h-h mounts for sale from about 100quid upwards and receivers from 150quid up. I think the receiver needs to be DisEqC 1.2 compatible for it to use the single coax route. Theres also USALS and STAB to add to the confusion (can anyone explain what these are :confused: )

I'm off to look into this a bit further... I may be some time.

7. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Yeah that site explains things pretty well. Cheers for the link :smashin:

9. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I found some dish movers here. :)

10. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Satcure seems like the place to buy from - prices are good and they have everything i'm gonna need. Just have to make a decision on which receiver to buy :rolleyes:

I've got 3 dishes on the flat i've just moved into so I think this weekend i'll have a look and see what condition they're in and what LNBs are on them - I might be able to salvage something from one of them and to bring the initial outlay down a bit. Any idea what LNB might be fitted to a sky minidish - as theres a fairly new one up there?