1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which digital box?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by jdanielp, Jul 5, 2002.

1. jdanielp

jdanielp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    was looking in Dixons today and they have the ex-ITV digital Pace, Nokia and possibly Philips (couldn't see a manufactorers logo) boxes as well as the new Pace and Gundig FTA boxes... the old ITV ones are all about 80 quid so a bit cheaper than the new models, at least for the moment.

can anyone recommend which would be best or what other manufactorers box to try and fine (and where from - Comet perhaps)? what i would like in approximate order of priority is:

1. ability to handle a not-that-great signal from the aerial
    2. 2 scarts sockets, preferably one with the ability to output RGB
    3. some sort of digital audio output connection
    4. not black

my not-that-great analogue signal currently gives pretty decent ITV and CH4, fuzzy BBC1 and slightly better BBC2 and crap very fuzzy CH5. bloke in Dixons says that they would not do a refund if i couldn't get a good signal though but he seemed to think it would be ok with an aerial with slighty dodgy reception.

from what i can understand from the previous posts the Nokia or Pioneer would probably be best, both satisfying 1 & 2, the Nokia satisfying 3 and the Pioneer satisfying 4? how useful is the timer facility on the old boxes - i assume this facilitates recording of specific channels at particular times but how many can it handle?

also does anyone have any idea if the old boxes will continue to receive updates and support from the manufactorers? also will these be able to handle pay-channels again at any point in the future?

thanks for any help!

Dan

2. Ninja Wannabe

Ninja Wannabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think any of the itvd boxes had either digital and/or rgb output. And AFAIK, the only one that isn't/wasn't black was the philips box.

TBH m8, the best place you could look would be ebay. You've more chance of getting one at a sensible price now the pirates are out of business. :)

Well, for now anyway! lol

3. Ninja Wannabe

Ninja Wannabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scrub that, just had a look on ebay, the prices are still silly and it is the Pioneer that is silver not the philips.

4. Ninja Wannabe

Ninja Wannabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And since I can't do this on an edit, here is a picture of said box

:)

Attached Files:

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Was half expecting to see a goldie sticking out :D

6. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The pioneer can output RGB via the scart but doesn't have a digital audio output, I don't think any of the old itv digital boxes do.

If your analogue signal isn't very good you may find that your digital signal through the same aerial is poor as well. Nothing worse than a poor digital signal, blocky breakups all over the place.

7. jdanielp

jdanielp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    oh right, i was hearing that digital tends to come across better generally then analogue given the same source if the aerial is not that good? although saying that when digital does mess up it would be more noticable than a generally fuzzy picture i suppose... hmm.

8. Ninja Wannabe

Ninja Wannabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When analogue messes up, you just get "interference" the picture goes fuzzy, you may get lines and/or sound distortion.

When digital messes up you get gaps, blocks on screen and it is much more noticable. That I'm afraid is the trade off you have to make - better quality but unwatchable if the signal is poor.

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    1. not-that-great signal from the aerial...... forget it, get a dish.
    3. All Nokia (old black or new silver) feature co-axial digital audio output, not 5.1 but will allow DPL2.
    See 1. !

10. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You don't need a digital source for pl2, any stereo source will do.

I just use those standard thingy cables from the back of the TV. Can't think of the name at the moment, brain is tired.

11. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Best DTTV tuners in order I have seen

Sony IDTV
    Pace DTVA
    Most Ondigital boxes