1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Digibox?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Giles, May 23, 2001.

1. Giles

Giles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, does anyone know which Digibox I would get if I did the current offer with sky (40 quid for box, dish and installation)?

Idealy I want one with a fibre out put for digital sound and it ready for AC3 when they start bradcasting it.

Any thoughts/comments??

2. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    More than likely a standard Pace one. Sky aren't in the practice of giving away other ones.

3. davewc

davewc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be anything - I started with a Grundig which blew up while the engineer was here (thankfully!) and ended up with a Panasonic.
    The Panasonic is excellent - no problems, fast on the menus, excellent reception.

4. Giles

Giles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your previous replies.

Have any of them got a didgital output?

5. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the only STB with a optical digital out is the Sony. The best place to go to get one of these is your Local sony centre but you may have to ring a few as they are franchised and some don't offer SKY installation.

Also it may be worth waiting a few more weeks as sony are introducing a new STB, not sure what its like though...

If anyone knew of an alternative STB with digi out I'd be interested to find out...

HTH

Le

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the Sony is the only one with digital output for your amp, but it is disabled as it appears Sky do not intend introducing Dolby Digital output for the foreseeable future.

7. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The optical digi out does work on the sony, it will just give Stereo (DPL) out.

Also, Sky are intending to introduce Dolby Digital, apparently in June. I believe this will be on a trail basis. But then again, if only people with a Sony box can recieve it, I really cant see the point!?

:confused:

8. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best thing to do mate is call a local install company check the yellow pages.
    Because that way you'll be able to pick your box, if you call sky you will get no say in the matter i asked for a panasonic and ended up with a amstrad?, Anyway hope that helps mate. ;)

[ 29-05-2001: Message edited by: bug ]