1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which di-polar(etc) speakers to get?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by slackbladder, Oct 20, 2003.

1. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Howdy all!

I'm after some advice. I'll soon be getting a thx select capable a/v receiver and I'm looking for some rear speakers for those extra 2 channels in 7.1. However, I'm uncertain as which to go for - dipolar, bipolar or tripolar. Ontop of this they need to be no more than £500, preferably less.

So, a few questions. Are dipolar, bipolar or tripolar really needed for 7.1? And which one is preferable?
    Which make should I go for bearing in mind that I'll probably want to upgrade my current 5.1 speakers?
    And considering that I'm mainly interested in Home Cinema and SACD/DVD-Audio will they be compatible?

I'm a little green when it comes to this, so please bear with me. If anyone can help I'd be most grateful!

Ciao!

2. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there
    Basically depends what you like, i mean for dipolar speakers you should get the Mordaunt Short 506's which are around the 500 quid mark, they are a fanstatic pair and are sold in a 7.1 package so assum they are good in a 7.1 package.
    Regards
    Fred