1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Denon is better DM31 or DM35? (or even Onkyo)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by npd, Sep 27, 2005.

1. npd

npd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I am will be buying a micro system and I am not sure which one to get.

I know that the DM33/35 is the replacement for the DM31, but I have read the recent group test in what hifi and it seems to suggest that the sound on the new denons are not as good as the old DM31.

What I was wondering was would this difference be noticable to mere humans or just uber-geeks, dogs and bats! I have seen that some people have upgraded from the DM31 to the DM35 and I was just wondering if anyone had noticed any differences in sound quality?

After looking at the review in what hifi I am also looking at the Onkyo, but I have read several reviews that say it does not perform very well at higher volumes.

I guess I will have to get a demo of them to compare, but I was just looking for some ideas really. I was thinking of pairing them up with either the Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s or the 9.1s - I am leaning towards the 9.1s as they are not that much more.

Any help or view would be appreciated.

Thanks

Neil.

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    the performance difference of the M31/35 is less than the type of speakers chosen. If you avoid the matching speakers and go for some quality standmounts then this will bring the performance of both up to a new level, the next question is whether dab radio is important. if not, the m31 more than holds its own, and should be available discounted - its also prettier in my eyes.

3. Chris_J_0907

Chris_J_0907

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought the Onkyo last week, but the demo I had wasn't really fair as the Onkyo was connected to better speakers than the DM35 was. However, I did think the Onkyo sounded better, was cheaper than the Denon unit and Superfi said it had just beaten the denon in the store tests.