1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Denon for an AV newbie ?!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bakero, Nov 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I've got a set up with (as soon as they are delivered)

Panasonic PWD6 Plasma screen
    Canton CD-1 speakers
    Panasonic E85 DVD-Recorder
    Sky+
    Ps2
    JS RGB-VGA convertor

so just needing an amp now (I think/hope!)

The Denon 2805 is more expensive than I was hoping to pay (£520) so I was looking at the 2105 (£345), the 1905 (£280) or the 1705 (£215)

Can anyone help with the main difference I will find between these - is a novice, ie me, likely to hear a difference worth paying the extra money ?

Thanks for any advice.

Dave.

2. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    All I can say is make sure whichever amp you get has a lip sync delay function.

Rob.

3. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    if you have a plasma you probably want to consider video up conversion so you can output all you sources through component. However the 2105 only up converts to s-video you have to pay for 2805 for compononent up conversion. your other option is say a yamaha dsp 750SE, which is around the price of the 2105 and does have compononent up conversion. If this isnt a concern to you then, the 1905 is highly regarded as is the 2105

4. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've got the 1705, found it for under 200 from unbeatable.co.uk
    i think the 1905 is cheaper there too
    i expect you won't benefit from more than the 1705 on your speakers, it gives more power than my aegis evos can handle when i'm listening to music

5. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help so far, but it raises a couple more questions for me (want to make sure I don't spend money on the wrong thing!)

I was intending to run sky+ into the E85 DVD Recorder (which will convert sky+ to component) and run that into a component board in the screen. PS2 runs through an RGB to VGA convertor, which runs into the screen's VGA connector (I have to use the two inputs as I want picture in picture for Sky/DVD and PS2.

This then leaves an amp & speakers to be added, the CD-1 seem to get good reviews (and good enough quality that I will struggle to hear the difference by paying more), and can be picked up for just over £200 from Germany.

The Denon 2805 has then been recommended, but is more than I wanted to pay (can probably just about stretch to it but would prefer not to unless absolutely necessary). Clarky, could you expand slightly on your comments please given this set up (I think I'll be outputting component from the E85 to the amp already ?

If the speakers aren't good enough to make use of anything more than the 1705 then I could go for that - or get better speakers of course (.....recommendations!?)

Finally, I can't see anything about lip sync functions on the specs of any of these Denons - I definitely don't want any noticeable delay between sound and pictures, is that a risk with this set up ?

Apologies for the long post - the help is really appreciated !

Dave.

6. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    lip sync isn't something i've ever had problems with except with one manga DVD and that is the dvd's fault!
    My suggestion for up conversion is so that you run all your video sources through the amp, and the amp switches the video source to the plasma respective of the source you want to see/hear. It is more for tidyness and simplicity so you only have to run one component cable to your screen. However, i don't see how it will let you do screen in screen between 2 sources as the picture is selected from the source you are viewing and no other video signal will be sent. I do believe some expensive amps do 'pass through' but this is so when the amp is off you can still see a signal through the amp, and don't think it is helpful to you.
    As you say, you'll output from your E85 to the amp anyway, so the amp will send this to the plasma, but you want to run you ps2 through the VGA which i believe is a 9pin? which the amp wont have.
    For picture in picture you will have to send to seperate signals as you suggest.
    Unless someone knows other than me, i only know from personal experiences.

7. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bakero,

I have a similar set up to you, and whilst not a newbie still benefit from a helping hand sometimes. In this respect, the 2805 has a microphone/auto set up function which has set up the audio superbly.

In addition, having the 2805 allows me to upload HD capable signals (100MHz) to my system (Xbox today, Sky tomorrow). It is a very future proofed Amp and allows for three component inputs to connect to the display through one cable.

If you have a game console, DVD Recorder/Sky, and possibly Freeview and dedicated DVD player in the future, this would make a lot of sense to invest in this (almost solely for the auto set up-I clicked on the Microphone, made some tea and ten minutes later-OUTSTANDING!)

Highly recommended,

I hope this helps (probably raises more Q's!)

Paul

8. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahhhhhhhhhh ! It's not straighforward this is it !

I had decided on the 1905, after being told from various sources that I'd be unlikely to hear any difference between the 1905 and 2805 using the Cantons - and the price difference is about £300

I'm also unsure about the E55/E85 now - with sky+ (which i'll probably upgrade to a 200gb drive internally) I don't really need a DVD recorder, so maybe a dedicated player would give better quality for the same price? Although it needs to be able to take scart from sky+ and feed it into the component board of the PWD6

And the Cantons are going to take a couple of weeks to arrive - I can't find any well priced on German websites that take VISA rather than only direct payments to their banks!

Dave

9. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Clarky78 - what's your display? Just wondering why you've never had any lipsync problems....

Now everyone will this I'm obsessed with lipsync, but on the DMRE30 you get terrible problems (noticable on my old 28" CRT) when trying to watch live sources "through the recorder". Recording and playback is fine. I don't know if this is still a problem in newer Panasonic recorders.

I wouldn't recommend using a DVD recorder as a player...

Rob

10. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob - I think the Denon amp should sort out any problems with lip sync ?

Any suggestions for a DVD player to replace the E55/E85 - it must be able to take the scart input from sky+ and output component to the plasma

Dave.

11. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    AFAIK the 2805 does have the audio delay, so yes this would sort out lipsync issues.

I'm pretty sure you won't find a DVD player than will pass an RGB input via its scart to the component output.

Are you trying to use the DVD recorder to convert Sky etc to a progressive scan output to feed the PW6?

Rob.

12. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    rob, i'm using a standard CRT at the minute. Like i say no lip sync issues yet.

13. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Well that makes sense then.... bakero has a plasma, hence my comment about the receiver.

14. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can afford it buy the 2805.

It'll answer all the questions you have made, plus some you will ask once you've had it for a month!

Regarding the Sky, keep the DVD Recorder for the RGB Input & component out, and then buy a Pioneer or Denon DVD player, you'll notice the difference.

Sound wise the differences are smaller between the models.

Paul

15. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a DVD recorder yet, so don't really want to buy two ! So far I've now got the PWD6 plasma, Canton CD1's (waiting on delivery), sky+, and a slightly crappy old DVD player that needs replacing.

I need to use the dual slot component board in the screen to be able to take sky+ and DVD input, so was intending to do this using an E55 or E85 (to run scart from sky+ to the recorder, then from the recorder to the component board)

As I'm upgrading sky+ it seemed a better idea to get a dedicated DVD player, better quality for similar or less money, but it would need to work with this setup.

As for the amp I can afford either (or at least manage repayments!) but am not clear of the £300 advantage of the 2805 over the 1905 when using with the Cantons.

I was told both the 2805 and 1905 will sort out any problems with lip sync - is this correct ?

Dave

16. Fars

Fars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I simply can't recomend the 2805 strongly enough.

I am in a similar situation where my speakers aren't nearly good enough, the 1905 would have been a good match sound wise, it is simply a fantastic piece of hardware. But I had to look beyond that and look at the features on the 2805.
    Running DVD, Xbox, and Gamecube through component was essential. The upconversion for things like Sky, digibox etc was something I would have sacrificed, but am now very glad I didn't.
    Another considertation is the auto set up, this is like a dream come true for anyone new to this. It is like having an experienced engineer come round and do the work for you, you will literally laugh out loud while the amp does its thing.

If you're going to use the features on the 2805 and it falls within your budget I would honestly say you'll never regret this buy. This isn't all just about sound, you've got a very nice screen, you're getting the component board for it and the 2805 should marry up to that perfectly imo.

Anyway, good luck with it all, remember to sacrifce a few composite leads to the AV gods before delivery to ensure it all arrives safely! :smashin:

Regards,

17. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fars

What about the 2105? That has the auto set up, and could run Xbox, Gamecube, DVD through component (but I think with no upconversion).

I'll be running sky and DVD through component, but Ps2 through VGA (that way I can have picture in picture)

Is auto set up really worth paying the extra for ?

Thanks
    Dave

18. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
  19. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob

Thanks - I'll have a look at the manuals, although part (most/all) of the problem is that I don't really know what I'm doing so it's hard to compare the importance of many features that I don't really know what they are!

I was told (possibly by Richer Sounds but not 100% which store it was) that all the 1705, 1905, 2105, 2805 had audio delay (so I could get round any problems with lip sync to the plasma screen).

Dave

20. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the 1905 and have been looking at the audio delay side. And as far as i can see you can only delay the audio in whats called Matrix mode. In direct mode the audio delay feature is crossed out in the table of features

21. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice - i've just ordered the 2805 today. The component upconversion was the final deciding factor - and the fact I've gone so over budget already I may as well spend the extra couple of hundred !

Dave.