Which Denon... 1610 or 1910?

GlennS

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

To cut a long story short... I will be coming into a bit of money in the next month or so and rather than wasting it on frivolous things I was considering replacing the cheap sound system in my living room with some separates and also a blu-ray player (or PS3... or maybe even both... not decided yet)
The only thing that I would prefer is to have small-ish speakers due to the positions they will need to be placed in - and to be honest, any system will be a big improvement over the current system I have got so I am not concerned about using small speakers from what I have heard of todays technology and the quality they produce

After a little bit of searching around the forum I am planning to go and see if I can get a demo of the Denon 1610 and 1910 models but was after a bit of advice from people, if possible, as to whether or not I should consider the 1910 over the 1610...? :confused:

The living room is not suitable for a 7.1 setup and I have no plans at all to use the multi-room function so is it worth spending the extra money on the 1910, also bearing in mind that I don't have anything other than the DVD player to connect to it currently and will probably only be connecting a blu-ray player (replacing the DVD) and PS3 if I decided to get both

I have seen some of the package deals with the Denon and Q Acoustic 1010i speakers and would probably look along those lines if people recommend them, although I had looked at Kef as well as another possible choice?

Thanks in advance (and apologies if I don't get to post back in this thread to any replies but I am pretty busy so might not be able to get online for a few days or so, but any advice will be gratefully received)

Glenn

I might not post much but if the Denon owners can't even be bothered to respond with an answer when a genuine question is asked for some advice then I might as well forget this section of the forum :thumbsdow

i was also torn between the 1610 and the 1910, opted for the 1910 , only because i could afford it and didnt want to be left wondering "what if" and i already had all the other components i wanted.
Paul

i am torn between the two as well, it would be good to here opinions

I've bought the 1610 today. I decided that, all the blu rays/dvd's i watch, i only used 5 of the 7 channels i had hooked up with my previous Denon (1907, blew up, long story!!), so 7.1 isn't an issue for me. Neither is the zone 2 business. I only have dvd and blu ray player to connect via HDMI, no PS3, sky HD etc, so i still have a spare HDMI input.
The sound is really classy. I used to swear by my Marantz stereo amp for 2.0/2.1 playback, but tonight, decided to hook my cd player up to the 1610, and if there is a difference in sound quality, i can't hear it. Certainly not enough to warrant the seperate system.

Not tried any films yet, but they're next on the cards.
In short, the extra features of the 1910 have no benefit to me, so i went for the 1610. Hope this helps someone? :thumbsup:

I was in the same boat last week, 1610 or 1910...

After having a chat with a Denon guru in RS I ended up going with a 1610, even though I did have my heart set on a 1910 for a few months.

Yes the 1610 doesn't have the same number of HDMIs and doesn't have the same power output... 75w V's 90w and a few other items... but basically all the processing is the same.

I also paired it up with a set of 1010i, as their recommended watts is 75w (ideal with the 1610) nice and safe.

I'm totally over the moon with the setup and the sound quality, it is 1000% better than what I had before and I've saved a few ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ. I've got no regrets at all.

Yeah, they do sound mint don't they? I've elbowed my stereo amp for music duties and have hooked up my cd player to my 1610, and i genuinely cannot tell a difference...and i have a very keen ear for that sort of thing. My Monitor Audio RS5's are rated at 100w so power isn't really an issue there. I'm very pleased with the amp too. :thumbsup:

Thanks to those of you that replied with your opinions and advice :smashin: Was starting to get a bit cheesed off with AVForum in general as it certainly isn't as friendly as some of the others I use for other things

I may well just save myself the extra cash and go for the 1610

Last edited:
well i went out and bout the 1910 last weekend form Seven Oaks in Reading and love it to bits. With me it is always if I buy one thing, why don't I go one level up. The 90 watts per channel is a lot of power, even more then my old Panasonic 100 watts.

If you don't need the extra connections the I can't imagine you will be disappointed. All I have left is one HDMI, two analogue connections and the two coax. So just enough room for a extra device or two.

Thanks to those of you that replied with your opinions and advice :smashin: Was starting to get a bit cheesed off with AVForum in general as it certainly isn't as friendly as some of the others I use for other things

I may well just save myself the extra cash and go for the 1610

Really??? I've always found these forums extremely friendly?....although i do find that you get better results depending on where you post...I'd have posted your initial post in the AV Amps section as opposed to the Denon section....more people view the general amps category and you are therefore far more likely to get a quick response. Did you decided on what you are going to purchase?

well i went out and bout the 1910 last weekend form Seven Oaks in Reading and love it to bits. With me it is always if I buy one thing, why don't I go one level up. The 90 watts per channel is a lot of power, even more then my old Panasonic 100 watts.

If you don't need the extra connections the I can't imagine you will be disappointed. All I have left is one HDMI, two analogue connections and the two coax. So just enough room for a extra device or two.

I got my 1910 Thursday from RS and Im still messing around with the settings but on the whole Im blown away by it.
My old amp was the sony and it was 10yr old but todays amp are far more complex so its going to take some tweaking before I finish messing with it.

But in general yeah Im glad I went with the 1910.

Do you have to use Denon ipod docks with these beasts or could i use any?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom