Which de-region mod is the best

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jon Weaver, Mar 1, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +660
    I am thinking of buying a Pioneer 737, and always considered Techtronics mod to be the best (mainly because they plug it into a little port on the side, rather than soldering).

I would hope that their mod would to Auto and Manual region select, but i have heard of problems.

Which companies do the best mods?

Are they all the same or do each company (i.e Techtronics) only offer THEIR rolution?

Any info on this would be appreciated

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,617
    I'm not an expert, but I would have thought that it's a difficult question to answer because mods probably vary from one machine to the next and then the solutions are utimately relatively similar.
    I would suggest that you're better off focussing on getting recommendations from folk here as to which modded players work faultlessly and also looking at the kind of guarantees offered.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Got my 737 from Sevenoaks HiFi. Already modded - don't know who by. Salesman claimed the mod-chips come from Pioneer and are fitted by Sevenoaks HO. Have successfully loaded all 170+ discs in my collection (R1/2/4) no problems. CAVEAT: I don't have "The Patriot" R1 so can't comment on RCE. However the shop assured me that the said film would play OK.