which david gray album to try?

codling

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

as title,

been hearing lots of good stuff about him.just looked on play but there is quite afew titles to choose from.

anyone recomend one to get?

cheers carl:)

Not my sort of music, but White Ladder was probably as good as it gets. Buy Jeff Buckleys album Grace instead, much, much better.

cheers karkus30

never heard of Jeff Buckleys i'll check him out.what sort of music is it.

carl

Guitar lead music, jeff had one of the most beautiful voices and could play guitar like a demon. Grace is a very eclectic mix of songs, from Zepplinesque ballads, to Cohen covers. Its a very emotionally raw album that sometimes crosses into Grunge and can be claustrophobic to listen to, buy and enjoy.

sounds my type of music,think i'll give it a shot

cherrs carl:smashin:

Tell me how you get on, any good indy shops in Codland;)

just ordered them both from play.

there's no real good indie shops over here in the big city:D
there's a shop called badlands,havnt been in for a few years now,i think its still open.sells all kinds of stuff.gonna have to pop in again.

carl:)

I miss hunting the records when I buy on the net. I like the thrill of the chase:D

Been told theres a brilliant indie shop in Durham, so Im off to do a bit of hunting today.

Codling,

David Gray - "White Ladder" and "A New Day at Midnight" are his best. Starting to prefer New Day to White Ladder as it goes. Not possible to like one and not the other, so be sure to buy both! Be cautious with his pre-White Ladder releases as they're a bit hit and miss and he had this awful habit of putting on fake Scottish/Irish/Welsh accents during songs :rolleyes: :laugh: If you do want to buy anything prior to White Ladder though, "Lost Songs" is the best bet as it has more treats than the others (it's the only pre-White Ladder release that I own).

Jeff Buckley - I only own Grace but it's simply beautiful. Shame the sod had to go and die on us :( When you get the CD, don't play it all the way through. Just find a quiet, mellow moment (late evening) and stick on track 6 ("Hallelujah"). Close your eyes and let it wash over you. Then play the album from the beginning all the way through, over and over :D

karkus,

It's worth bearing in mind that I was a confirmed David Gray hater for 2 years and then it suddenly hit me how brilliant he is. One day you will turn :clap:

Originally posted by Squirrel God
karkus,

It's worth bearing in mind that I was a confirmed David Gray hater for 2 years and then it suddenly hit me how brilliant he is. One day you will turn :clap:

They said that to me about the White Stripe's. I'm still waiting.

Originally posted by Gambit
They said that to me about the White Stripe's. I'm still waiting.
Yeah well, me too on that score. Death to the Stripesters :clap: :laugh:

"Fell In Love With a Girl" is great though :blush: :D

"Fell In Love With a Girl" is great though :blush: :D

Nah man, it's **** like the rest of it. I almost liked "7 nation army" till they ****ed the middle up. I though, nice catchy riff, maybe they've improved, but no, they have to suck. Plus he's one of the most freaky looking people in existence and then plasters himself all over the video.

track 6 ("Hallelujah"). Close your eyes and let it wash over you. Then play the album from the beginning all the way through, over and over :D

karkus,

Learning to play "Hallelujah", it started me wondering about other Cohen music. Great track.

Im not a confirmed D.Gray hater, I just think his music is very ordinary, I have quite a few musician M8s that write and play the same sort of music, its OK, just not very memorable.

As for the Stripes, you already know my opinion. Theres a picture of Meg on the front of one of the music mags and she looks like someones Grandma :thumbsdow, unlike Gambit, Im not worried about Jacks looks :laugh:

Karkus :
Learning to play "Hallelujah", it started me wondering about other Cohen music. Great track.

Buckley's "Hallelujah" is probably my favourite ever cover version.

If you're looking to sample some Cohen music, Karkus, his "Greatest Hits" (the one with a yellow-tinged cover) is the best place to start -- available on a nice price too.

Jeff Buckley - I only own Grace but it's simply beautiful. Shame the sod had to go and die on us

bloody hell,,looking forward to these two,i just went with white ladder for now,i i can get into it then i'll get his new one.:)

thanks

carl:smashin:

Whiting,

thanks for the recommendation. I was only put off getting an album because one of the Forum members has a tag line which reads something like "listened to, less than a Leonard Cohen album ", shame on me for not just buying one:blush:

thanks for the recommendation. I was only put off getting an album because one of the Forum members has a tag line which reads something like "listened to, less than a Leonard Cohen album ", shame on me for not just buying one

Not really much of recommendation is it ? "Buy the greatest hits" but I have about 6 of his albums and I think it's the best place to start.

Here's what Ian McCulloch had to say on it in a recent UNCUT article :

A Record That Changed My Life
Ian McCulloch

The Bunnymen leader and solo artist on everybody's favourite miserable minstrel

"If you'd asked me this years ago, I probably would've pretended me first
introduction to Leonard Cohen was something like Songs Of Love And Hate, but
it wasn't, it was Greatest Hits, also known as The Best Of. I'd seen a clip
from his Bird On A Wire documentary on The Old Grey Whistle Test when I was
about 15. In those days I could only afford one album every three months, but
I decided to risk this best-of. The voice, the religious imagery, the lyrics,
it blew me head off.

"Soon after, I got a part-time 'bodyguard' job, shadowing this feller
collecting money from the mean streets of Liverpool. The theory was that two
blokes were less likely to get battered than one. There were a few close
scrapes, but I never got hurt and it meant I had money to buy Cohen's proper
albums, the ones Greatest Hits was compiled from. So that's what funded me
Cohen collection - protection money! Saying that, I still think Greatest Hits
is the best. On those original albums there's one or two songs that aren't
right, but Greatest Hits is flawless. I'll always love it cos it's the first
Cohen LP I bought.

It's only about £6 -- on a Nice-Price...

Whilst I'd agree Cohen isn't for everyone, you can't deny he's a great songwriter/lyricist. If his interpretations don't grab you, have a look out for a tribute compilation from a few years ago called "I'm Your Fan" which has versions by Nick Cave, Pixies, John Cale etc etc This was what really got me into him.

Now, which Pixies album is that on, I know they covered Cohens 'I cant forget' (I dont know which album thats on either). I have Doolittle, Trompe Le Monde and Surfa Rosa but theres no sign of those songs. Obscure album??

"I Can't Forget" is taken from the "I'm Your Fan" tribute. It's not on any Pixies album proper.

Pretty sure the Pixies didn't cover any others of his...

I get it , its a tribute album to not by :suicide: :rolleyes:

must read posts properly and not speed read everything and now just to top that I suddenly realised I have a whole album full of covers. I have Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat on Vinyl:blush:

I shall get my coat now and stay away from the drugs:zonked: :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom