1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DAP features could you NOT live without?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Aug 14, 2005.

?
  1. Line out

28.4%
  2. Battery life

77.6%
  3. Colour screen

6.0%
  4. Multi-codec playback

25.4%
  5. Gapless playback

37.3%
  6. Drag 'n' drop file transfers

28.4%
  7. Advanced playlisting (i.e. iPod style)

22.4%
  8. FM tuner

4.5%
  9. Line in recording (inc. voice)

9.0%
  10. USB 2.0 connectivity (i.e. not via special cable/cradle)

37.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Poll time again.

Now, I'm tempted to say this is just for fun - but let's face it, features can be make-or-break purchase deciders for some of us. So let's have your votes for those you absolutely won't compromise on ...

Oh, and do please add any not in the poll to this thread :smashin:

2. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i chose

- usb conectivity
    - battery life
    - Drag 'n' Drop

its also gotta look cool, and be easy to navigate!

3. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I picked gapless playback from your list, but I'd also add "small size and weight". Those were two of the reasons I chose the HD5 over an iPod. The iPod has lots of great features the HD5 doesn't have, but those two were particularly important to me.

I can't really say I "absolutely won't compromise" on them though. If I had chosen an iPod I would have found ways to work around the gaps (e.g. with the Join Tracks feature in iTunes). Millions of people seem to cope with them.

Line-in recording would be a good feature though. Then my DAP could really replace my MiniDisc recorder.

Andrew

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I wanted to include dimensions (size, weight, etc) but didn't think these counted as 'features' per se. I agree, though: the smaller, the better!

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Long batteries and gapless playback seem pretty popular ... if you can call 7 voters conclusive!

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    Yes it is, batt life and gapless play are important.

Now I demand everyone on avforums to vote, then we can petiton the manufacturers

7. helpneeded

helpneeded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may sound totally stoooopid, but how about the quality of sound reproduction of the player???

I know this is also dependant upon the earphones used aswell, but if you have good earphones, poor sound reproduction can be a major issue. I've just bought a Philips Key015, and a SupportPlus SP-Slim 512 (Support what I hear you say), and the philips one has no 'depth' to the sound produced, and so I am seriously leaning to the latter player!

Its like the mobile phone thing, with all the gadgets and gizmos on phones now, who actually uses their mobile phone to make phone calls? Lol :rotfl:

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly important, though again, I shied away from calling this a 'feature', strictly speaking. I expect a reasonable SQ as standard - otherwise, back to the shop it goes :nono:

9. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm ... interesting. No one yet put in a cheer for Line in recording. Find this fascinating, as some manufacturers seem to want to include this in their specs ...

Not that popular here, then?

10. Grey Area

Grey Area

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In addition to gapless, drag&drop and cradle-less USB I definitely want my DAP to have a user-replaceable battery. A proprietary battery like the one on the NW-HD5 is barely acceptable, but I prefer AA, AAA or gumsticks. To me this is in fact even more important than the three features I voted for; under no circumstance will I buy anything with a built-in battery.

And generally I value build quality above small size, low weight and low price. If I see plastic where there could have been metal, then that´s a pretty big turn-off for me. Especially chromed plastic. Eww. ;)

Björn

11. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'd like the Creative Zen though, I think? Metal back (making it robust but heavy), and plastic front that barely scratches at all.

12. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IM surprised that USB isnt as popular, if not more popular than battery life! how else do you guys think u will connect to ur computers?

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I prefer firewire to be honest !

14. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am i the only one that wants line in recording? Its so frustrating not having any input rather than the computer, i think it should not have an inbuilt mic but have MIC input.

I recon the battery life figure on the HD5 is a load of crap, my battery doesn't last anywhere near that long. It is reliable but sony are only using it to sell the product, not that it actually is real figure. My MD AA battery lasts AGES longer.

15. marooned

marooned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should have added UI (user interface to the list) :)

16. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, you're not the only one!

Of course. If you look at the fine print you'll see the "40 hours" figure only applies for 48kbps ATRAC3plus files, which is hardly realistic. You're probably not supposed to touch the controls for 40 hours either...

Andrew

17. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm averaging around 26-30 hrs battery life over the course of a week, with shuffle on a lot and Digital Sound Presets whacked up to +3 db. I'm using ATRAC3Plus at 64kbps.

18. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    At least it seems people have their priorities right...

line in rec and FM are way down, at this early stage

Interestingly, so's colour screen...........hmmmm

19. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FM I can understand. You know my views on THAT old chestnut! As for line in, I'm not surprised. Most own or have reasonably regular access to a PC these days. Why would you need line in? As for voice recording, most mobiles come bundled with this function nowadays. If it's really that important to you, you'd buy a dedicated recorder, surely?

Colour screens. Don't like 'em. Useful on camera phones. Pointless on a lot of DAPs (unless these display album art). People are distrustful. They see that the quoted battery life ain't what they expected, and imagine colour screens will shorten it further. Which is currently probably true ...

20. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Battery life proving top of the shopping list, then?

21. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Battery life was always going to be top of the shopping list, shame some of the manufactuers dont listen to us still...are they blind to the fact that they have the best source of information for research for their new players on these forums and dont use them! IF they listended to us, the users, then they might be able to come up with something good, rather than producing something they think might be able to compete with the iPod, if they spent some time listening to us then they might get somewhere!

Also, i notice user replaceable battery wasnt there, i would probably not buy a player if i does not have these, unless the battery life was good enough already

22. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like the Zen Touch, then? 24hrs non-replaceable seems good to me (although you can buy the replacement batteries from the US, complete with tools and installation instructions!).

23. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont like the zen touch at all...Principally beacuse of the look, it looks hideous and its a brick (huge) i would never buy one, although my mother seems to think i should get one, as they are cheap, wat the hell do post 50 parents know about mp3 players, well mine at least

i dont like the big spaces of the front of the touch either...call me piccy, but they made the buttons tiny..and they had all that space

24. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's just my own opinion but I think the Creative players try too hard to look like iPods... and iPods are bloody bad enough!

25. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly true of the Zen Touch ...

26. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... and some of the smaller, flash-based Creatives, too, now I think about it ...

27. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    I made my "hmmmmm" comment about colour screens above 'cos its all the rage with manufacturers.

I'll leave it to Shadow to discuss 'cos I'm weary

28. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help! Now I'm lost? Are we for or against colour screens? I think I'm against - unless battery lives can be vastly extended.

29. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been thinking some more about this thread, and I reckon Apple - and later, Creative - got it right with the touch-sensitive scrolling thing. My HD5H is a nightmare to locate stuff on ... unlike my Zen Touch, which was a breeze with the scroll pad/bar/strip thingy. Definitely a feature I'm now HAVING to live without (more's the pity).

30. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only real dealbreaker for me is gapless playback (having more than 350 CDs that have gapless transitions, joining tracks is a compromise I won't accept). Of course, other features are important, but in general I can live without them. I also assume all DAPs sound good enough, and in the case of USB connectivity, I particularly don't mind needing special cradles or connectors if that means a smaller player. Among the not really important but nice features, I think colour screens are good for displaying album art.