Which DAC To Get For My System?

Ahh, okay, so I really could be saving money here - with this specific Sony TV I can just use a cable from the TV to the amp and that is really that simple, I don't need a DAC at all?

So because the sound is from the TV a DAC won't actually make much difference to the sound the TV is outputting? If I had the TV connected to an AVR I'm assuming that would produce great sound quality, so I'm wondering why a TV to DAC to my amp wouldn't, or I'm misunderstood?

Thanks Paul for your DAC suggestions and help regarding it - I've bookmarked these for further reading and if I do need to buy one.

So all I really need as Mark said is a 3.5mm Audio Out to a 2xRCA such as this? Amazon product ASIN B01D5H8KO2

So in this case do I need a DAC at all? If this really cheap lead will allow me to playfilms and games through my Elex and Kilpsch I'm all sorted as I can stream Spotify and Youtube through the Xbox also. Is it really this simple or I'm missing something? Because you guys have otherwise just saved me a tonne of money if this works and produces good sound 9I'm not expecting it to be the hi-fi quality from my Vinyl, but at least a considerable mark up to make use of my Elex and Klipsch.

Exactly that. Some TVs sound better than others though, through their analogue outputs.

You may notice listening to music more than games.

You might also get yourself a ground loop. It’s not uncommon with tv outputs (analogue).

Easily fixed with one of these.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Ahh, okay, so I really could be saving money here - with this specific Sony TV I can just use a cable from the TV to the amp and that is really that simple, I don't need a DAC at all?

So because the sound is from the TV a DAC won't actually make much difference to the sound the TV is outputting? If I had the TV connected to an AVR I'm assuming that would produce great sound quality, so I'm wondering why a TV to DAC to my amp wouldn't, or I'm misunderstood?

Thanks Paul for your DAC suggestions and help regarding it - I've bookmarked these for further reading and if I do need to buy one.

So all I really need as Mark said is a 3.5mm Audio Out to a 2xRCA such as this? Amazon product ASIN B01D5H8KO2

So in this case do I need a DAC at all? If this really cheap lead will allow me to playfilms and games through my Elex and Kilpsch I'm all sorted as I can stream Spotify and Youtube through the Xbox also. Is it really this simple or I'm missing something? Because you guys have otherwise just saved me a tonne of money if this works and produces good sound 9I'm not expecting it to be the hi-fi quality from my Vinyl, but at least a considerable mark up to make use of my Elex and Klipsch.
You are not missing anything .. a simple lead will give you a huge improvement .. unless ,and we cannot answer this without being in your living room ..you might get a humming noise from the speakers . This would be due to an earth loop , and is not serious just annoying. Even that, should it exist, can be totally removed by using a toslink optical cable from the TV to a small DAC, powered from the same socket as the amplifier, and with the two cables going into the amplifier . The DAC would need to be one with an optical input. . Whether you use a DAC or the loop isolator suggested by Paul ..your choice.

I used to use one of these for tv optical duties. Worked a treat. Was also light enough to tape up to the back of the tv unit, out of sight.

Amazon product ASIN B009346RSS

I used to use one of these for tv optical duties. Worked a treat. Was also light enough to tape up to the back of the tv unit, out of sight.

Fine . . but using the TV power sockets defeats the earth hum loop ...were it to be present. It is better to power it from the same socket as the amplifier. The trick is to ensure no metal connection between TV and amplifier.. FiiO makes very good kit at very affordable prices.

Thanks a lot for your help guys. So I'll be getting these Amazon product ASIN B01D5H8KO2
But on inspection I don't think it'll work as on my TV the digital audio output is an optical, I don't think a 3.5mm would connect to it, unless I use it in the green hole where it says it's for the headset? Will that work?

+1
Sorry, I’m a bit late to the party. When I started out trying to improve SQ from my Tv, I went for this inexpensive Fiio DAC. Did a fine job and not expensive.
My connections were TV>optical cable>Fiio DAC>RCAs>Rega Brio amp.
I’ve since moved on to a Schiit DAC but the Fiio was excellent vfm in my opinion.

Thanks a lot for your help guys. So I'll be getting these Amazon product ASIN B01D5H8KO2
But on inspection I don't think it'll work as on my TV the digital audio output is an optical, I don't think a 3.5mm would connect to it, unless I use it in the green hole where it says it's for the headset? Will that work?
Yes it should work .. within limits .. the headphone amp is usually grotty, and I would seriously recommend using a cheap optical to RCA DAC ,and an optical feed from the TV. .. You will not regret it and is 25 euro or 30 dollars well spent.

It isn't meant to plug into the TV's digital audio output, but rather into the TV's analogue audio output (see https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/Z003/Z003769111.PDF, page 38 for picture and configuration details).

The manual is B&W, so I don't know if it's coloured green, sorry.

It isn't meant to plug into the TV's digital audio output, but rather into the TV's analogue audio output (see https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/Z003/Z003769111.PDF, page 38 for picture and configuration details).

The manual is B&W, so I don't know if it's coloured green, sorry.

Thanks for this. Ah, but then the cables I was told to get won't work in this case. The digital audio out optical has a weird usb looking port.

Will it definitely not work with the headphone audio out?

I mentioned 2 optical inputs because I forgot about the digital audio being fed through the tv via HDMI.

So as it is, you only need a single optical input on your dac.

(You don’t require any digital outputs on the dac).

Which means this one really, as you want new. Great price too.

You won’t get better for your up to £200 budget.

A quick scan of this review should be convincing.

Simply connect the optical output from your tv to the Topping and you’re sorted out.

You know what, I'm just going to go with your recommendation actually. So I just purchased this DAC and I'll get the two cables you linked underneath them. Should be coming tomorrow so hopefully this will work really well.

So the digital optical cable you linked me, one will go from the digital audio out optical from the tv into the e30's Optical in, and then the RCA cables will go from the e30 into channel 2 on my Elex-R, then on the remote of the elex I select channel 2 when playing games/watching films and make sure the TV is set to PCM. Then on the Elex I just need to select between channel 1 or 2 when changing between TT and TV?

You know what, I'm just going to go with your recommendation actually. So I just purchased this DAC and I'll get the two cables you linked underneath them. Should be coming tomorrow so hopefully this will work really well.

So the digital optical cable you linked me, one will go from the digital audio out optical from the tv into the e30's Optical in, and then the RCA cables will go from the e30 into channel 2 on my Elex-R, then on the remote of the elex I select channel 2 when playing games/watching films and make sure the TV is set to PCM. Then on the Elex I just need to select between channel 1 or 2 when changing between TT and TV?

Exactly that sir 👌

Thanks for your help, Paul. I'll let you know how it goes when everything is setup.

I read that it doesn't come with a power supply, though, is this true?

Hmm...

It seems not. Many of these tiny things dont now it seems.

It come with the cable necessary to power it from any usb charger.

An spare phone charger for instance.

You will also be able to power it by at least one of your TVs USB ports using the USB to two pin power cable included.

One of these or one of the thousands like it will do the job.

Amazon product ASIN B00M9YTQYG

I’d be very interested to hear what you think of it 👍

That amazon rca to 3.5 is junk. I have one, it fell to bits in weeks and crackles every time you move it

Good luck

Thanks guys - so I've gotten everything setup now. But I got a new TV, SONY 48A9. I've put the USB power cable through to the TV as well as the audio out. The DAC is attached to the amp as well and I've selected the audio to come through a home system (it automatically detects the system as headphones) but am now getting any sound from it yet, any help?

Thanks guys - so I've gotten everything setup now. But I got a new TV, SONY 48A9. I've put the USB power cable through to the TV as well as the audio out. The DAC is attached to the amp as well and I've selected the audio to come through a home system (it automatically detects the system as headphones) but am now getting any sound from it yet, any help?
Great Rega set up 👏🏻👏🏻

Ah managed to get it working, thanks everyone for all of your help and recommendations. It's working like a charm and sounds great. Not as great as the hi-fe part of the system, but huge compared to what I'm used to.

Stuck Saving Private Ryan's opening on using the DAC through Netflix and the sound you get from it is incredible, like being in my own small scaled cinema.

Thanks again for everyone's help and input and suggestions, was incredibly helpful and I really appreciate it whether I use those suggestions or not.

Great Rega set up 👏🏻👏🏻
Thank you, it means a lot to me as a setup as I've ltierally selected it voer 3 or so years and finally managed to get it all together, which was a complete hassle. Carrying an Elex amp and Turn table and MC phono from Yeovil to London and through the underground... got no idea how I did that, my arms were dead.

Paid off, this system is going to be with me for a very, very long time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom