• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Which DAC can I play audio from a USB Flash Drive?

DickyArt

Novice Member
What kind of input can handle audio straight from a USB stick? I know there are many that can handle audio from android phones and tablets and Laptops usually a type B USB.

I know the Marantz CD6006 can handle most formats input through the USB on the front from a USB Flash Drive. Is this different to most DACs under £300 ish?

dannnielll

Afraid so. It would be a normal function in a tv box to be able to interrogate a usb memory device. But DACs are not configured that way. It has to do with what is configured as a master and a slave. An Android phone or tv box or a computer are configured as masters. They initiate conversations . They can send requests and read data from usb sticks.
A DAC usually is a destination and a slave. A Media server ,which may well include a DAC and preamplifier might be a computer and have master status,and read in from USB, read optical, networked or coax spdif... similarly many of the more recent AVR receivers?

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The Yamaha WXC-50 can play directly from a usb/ssd.

And it’s a fine dac/preamp too.

DickyArt

Novice Member
OK thanks for the info. The Yam WXC-50 sounds Interesting. I can`t tell if it would handle a CD transport input though. Looks like phono or optical Digi input. What quality is the Optical input?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
It’s very good.

A great dac, well implemented. I used mine to drive my Adams and they sounded as good as they ever have.

What speakers and amp are you using?

Adam72

A Teufel Raumfeld connector can play straight from a USB stick, at least I think it can, best check before buying. Can be picked up for approx £100.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I'd ask why you want to do it as it's usually a horribly clunky affair of browsing an alphabetically sorted filename structure. Ok for the odd occasions but not for regular use.

muljao

A Teufel Raumfeld connector can play straight from a USB stick, at least I think it can, best check before buying. Can be picked up for approx £100.
Yes it can. It uses it's app so the phone becomes a remote. There is no dac funtion in this unit though

kinggoose99

Standard Member
I am using a Raspberry Pi w/ Volumio and bought a 2nd hand ARCAM rDAC.
Raspberry has a couple of USB slots. You can also use a ASUS Tinkerboard i/o the Raspberry.

Be sure to check out the DAC compatibility section on the Volumio forums.

Should be well below 300.

Last edited:

DickyArt

Novice Member
I'd ask why you want to do it as it's usually a horribly clunky affair of browsing an alphabetically sorted filename structure. Ok for the odd occasions but not for regular use.

I'm just used to USB in the car, convenient let it play from start to finish or set to Shuffle.

DickyArt

Novice Member
I am using a Raspberry Pi w/ Volumio and bought a 2nd hand ARCAM rDAC.
Raspberry has a couple of USB slots. You can also use a ASUS Tinkerboard i/o the Raspberry.

Be sure to check out the DAC compatibility section on the Volumio forums.

Should be well below 300.

I wouldn't know what to do with Raspberry Pi except eat it maybe!

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I'm using Musical Fidelity A3 and B&W 601 S3 on stands

Well, certainly the WXC will be a good buy for your set up.

The dac I found to be particularly free from anything ‘hifi’ like. It was simply clean, detailed and accurate. Exactly all that a dac should be.

The A3 has a 300mv set of analogue inputs, so for anything modern with a 2V output (cd player, dac, WXC) then it could well be worth buying a pair of these to reduce the 2V to something more acceptable to the amp.

GOLDENJACKS audio attenuator for optimal sound - 2 attenuators supplied | eBay

kinggoose99

Standard Member
I wouldn't know what to do with Raspberry Pi except eat it maybe!

Ha, it tastes good though.
You do have to be a bit tech savvy to get it all up and running, but it's a good alternative to the standard streamer with DAC built in. I wanted to get a Cambridge streamer first but those go up to a grand. A bit out of my budget. Furthermore Volumio software get's updated all the time. I don't think streamer software gets updated that frequently.

DickyArt

Novice Member
Well, certainly the WXC will be a good buy for your set up.

The dac I found to be particularly free from anything ‘hifi’ like. It was simply clean, detailed and accurate. Exactly all that a dac should be.

The A3 has a 300mv set of analogue inputs, so for anything modern with a 2V output (cd player, dac, WXC) then it could well be worth buying a pair of these to reduce the 2V to something more acceptable to the amp.

GOLDENJACKS audio attenuator for optimal sound - 2 attenuators supplied | eBay

OK I thought all CD analogue could be handled by the amp's CD in. The Brio has max input l0.25v but input sensitivity is 210mv??!! Audiolab 6000A has line input sensitivity of 720mv, its DAC is 2v output.

Do you not lose detail by attenuating the signal? Is it worth keeping the A3?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
OK I thought all CD analogue could be handled by the amp's CD in. The Brio has max input l0.25v but input sensitivity is 210mv??!! Audiolab 6000A has line input sensitivity of 720mv, its DAC is 2v output.

Do you not lose detail by attenuating the signal? Is it worth keeping the A3?

They are both a bit more modern than the the MF. And I can’t find a ‘Max’ input for the MF.

The A3 is not likely to be overloaded too much; but even a little can and does add harshness.

And you will get much better control of the volume at the very least with well made attenuators

And no, there will be no loss in detail.

I’ve used them on three grand amps into more than three grand speakers to great effect. I’m using a pair now into my Active speakers, again to great effect.

There is no detail loss at all.

And the A3 is certainly worth keeping, it’s a fine amp. In fact, if you’re up to spending any more in the future, I’d upgrade the speakers first.

DickyArt

Novice Member
Thanks Paul for your very knowledgeable understanding.
I'm off to listen to various CD and DAC comboes tomorrow and it's made up my mind that I can enjoy the A3 a while longer. Might sample the Dali Oberon 5 and the KEFQ350 and also QA3050i, oh and interested to see what the Fyne F302 sound like!! Wonder if I should take my credit card!

larkone

Distinguished Member
Yes it can. It uses it's app so the phone becomes a remote. There is no dac funtion in this unit though

Errr .... yes there is (from their Teufel's website Teufel Connector : Buy online at Teufel)
  • Integrated high end D/A converter from Cirrus Logic™ (128 dB signal-to-noise ratio)
and just as importantly it supports gapless

muljao

Errr .... yes there is (from their Teufel's website Teufel Connector : Buy online at Teufel)
  • Integrated high end D/A converter from Cirrus Logic™ (128 dB signal-to-noise ratio)
and just as importantly it supports gapless
Anything that will play digital files and turn them to analogue indeed has a dac. You are correct.

When mentioned if something has a dac I assumed (rightly or wrongly) it meant to plug other components in also

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom