1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which CPU Cooler

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by petrolhead, Dec 18, 2004.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Built a new PC but its not as quiet as I had hoped.

The mail culprit is the CPU fan which is the std fan supplied with the Intel Pentium 4 "LGA775 64-Bit Prescott" 3.4F

So does anyone have a good idea. The computer is not a games PC and the main work is video editing and surfing

2. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that you'll find that both of the following will meet your needs. Both are quiet. Of the Thermalright's the 90 is slightly better than the 120. Of the Zalmans the CPNS7000 Alcu is the best bet being lighter and almost as efficient as the all copper version

Both of these can be run near silent and both are efficient. The Zalman comes with a rheostat so that you can adjust the fan speed. The Thermalright comes without a fan so you have to buy one. There are plenty to choose from depending on your particular requirements.

I have the Thermalright XP90 in my system with a chrome fan. I have a fanbus on the front of my case so that I can control the fan speeds on my system. For music, and movies I can turn down all my fans so that I am able to get as near silent running as is possible with air cooling.

I think that these two heatsink fans are generally regarded as the best of class in their market sectors. So either will suit you fine. Unfortunately Intel CPUs do run hot during normal operations. There are fanless solutions around but I'd be uneasy about using them.

Hope this helps.

Take a look for yourself on the following links, you may then choose to Google for reviews and comparisons of what's available. You can find what is probably the definitive PC cooling products comparisons on overclockers.com.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Thermalright_120.html

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Zalman_121.html

3. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
  4. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I've a LGA 775 3.4 and I use the Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu.
    It's needs an adapter plate to fit 775 CPU's but it's quiet.
    After running for a couple of hours doing HD stuff it's temps were CPU 48C ,M/B 35C.

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Cheers guys, have email overclockers to see if the new 775 zalman will fir my mobo