Which CPU Cooler to get?

knobbchiz

Standard Member
Hi all,

I have been reading up on CPU coolers the last while, and am a bit undecided which one to get. I am torn between a few ones, and as always would like your expert opinion on the matter.

I have kinda narrowed it down to the following few:

Prolimatech Megahalems - Awesome apparently, but a bit expensive.
Xigmatek Thor's Hammer - Also a tad expensive
Xigmatek HDT-S1284 - Looks a good one for around £30
OCZ Vendetta 2 OCZTVEND - Apparently an excellent choice, around £25
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - Also a good choice for around £25.

Ideally I would like to use this on my 775 and possibly later on on a i3/i5/i7. Is anyone using this at the moment?

Cheers in advance.

namuk

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

knobbchiz

Standard Member
Thanks losfer and namuk,

I think for £30 it is nicely priced and is newer than the other ones I mentioned. Just a few other questions:

1. Are you using the stock fan, or maybe upgraded to the Yate Loon one?
  2. Was it difficult to fit?
  3. And, Are there space issues, i.e. not fitting in the case and does it cover the memory modules area as I've read from reviews?
Cheers

losfer

well for my setup,

1) im using the stock fan that came with my Titan, don't really see much reasons to upgrade it, works fine for me

2) it was slightly difficult to attach the fan to the heatsink, but shouldn't take you longer than 10 minutes to do so

3) i had some space issue with my setup, as my mobo (an Asus M4A89GTD PRO) had the RAM slots real close to the CPU slot, so i couldn't place my fan in the traditional 'suck in from front to rear' configuration. instead i placed mine to suck in air from below, and have an exhaust case fan suck out the air from the top. here's a pic to show what i mean:

P1080611.jpg

hope this helps! :)

knobbchiz

Standard Member
Perfect, thanks for all your help.

Nice case, what model is it? I'm looking to upgrade my case as well, is the antec 300 a good case as it seems to be very popular?

losfer

my case's a Cooler Master HAF 922, really love it. looks good (IMO), loads of space inside, and generous fan slots on the case :D

i'm not too sure about the Antec 300, but i've heard good stuff about it as well... should be a great case too.

ninja 12

Perfect, thanks for all your help.

Nice case, what model is it? I'm looking to upgrade my case as well, is the antec 300 a good case as it seems to be very popular?

my case's a Cooler Master HAF 922, really love it. looks good (IMO), loads of space inside, and generous fan slots on the case :D

i'm not too sure about the Antec 300, but i've heard good stuff about it as well... should be a great case too.

I have an Antec 300 , with an Athlon II x4 , and a Xigmatek Achilles .

The case fans are very quiet and my cpu idles just above ambient room temp .

achilles2.jpg

1080PMAN

Banned
the megahalms beats all the ones you listed,but the titan is a good cooler it needs highspeed fans tho to be at its best so ither stick with the stock one or get a 1900rpm one

the i3/i5/i7 all vary in temps fella,and the 775 range run quite hot.

personaly i would go with the megahalms as it will last you with your next upgrades (CPU wise) as the titan might not be upto much when overclocked

knightwhosaysni

Standard Member
Best price/performance from that list for me is the Vendetta 2 BUT replace the fan with a Coolink 120cm fan (PWM for higher max output and more noise under load or the standard model for as near silence as you'll get - there's a choice).
I've supplied that combo to a few people with 100% satisfaction so far.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
I have the Titan Fenrir as well - my rig specs are in my sig.

mar_card_after.jpg

Last edited:

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
What are those Noctua case fans actually like? I've seen a few recommendations on various forums but never anything to say what is good about them.

Large throughput of air (CFM) at low speed and noise. Expensive at £16 a pop, but I thought they made a difference over the already excellent Antec supplied fans already in my P180 case.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Large throughput of air (CFM) at low speed and noise. Expensive at £16 a pop, but I thought they made a difference over the already excellent Antec supplied fans already in my P180 case.
And of course ugly ;)

They are good though there are other options for cheaper

knightwhosaysni

Standard Member
And of course ugly ;)

They are good though there are other options for cheaper

Anything you'd recommend? I'm more often in a much hotter climate than in the UK and am putting together a workstation for there (UK prices are much lower believe it or not) - cooling is therefore a huge issue but so are noise levels. Money fortunately less so at the moment, but there's no point wasting it.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Sharkoon's "Golf ball" fans are quite highly regarded as are the Xilence case fans.

There are quite a few low speed, low noise fans around

knightwhosaysni

Standard Member
I hadn't seen those "Golf ball" fans, interesting idea. They don't seem to have the airflow of the noctua, but then how accurate are the manufacturers claims?

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
The golf balls are also good. I have 80mm versions in my HTPC :smashin:

htpc_pic13.jpg

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
I think you mean distinctive. When you pay £16 for a fan, you want it to be noticed! :devil:
Fair point

Though I guess for some, having their new purchases recognised is not a good thing

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Dont forget you are talking to someone that does not like windowed cases (700D = 25 days and counting) ..... :cool:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Dont forget you are talking to someone that does not like windowed cases (700D = 25 days and counting) ..... :cool:
:rotfl: That long is it?

How's the fan going to get noticed then :confused:

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Its not. Plus the 700D has 14cm fans and unless they have fixings for 12cms they wont get used.

Anyway - back to the topic at hand. Sniper was correct earlier - although the Xilence are ok, I would look at Sharkoons or Noctua's myself for premium cooling.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution