1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which controller?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Stellavision, Oct 28, 2003.

?
  1. XBOX

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. PS2

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. OTHER

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    This thread is aimed at those of you with xbox and ps2 gaming experience.
    I am going to get myself a console gamepad to play on my pc, along with the relevent convertor. I have just bought a xbox to pc convertor on ebay, but I know a lot of people seem to have gone the ps2 to pc controller route.
    Those of you with both xbox and ps2, which controller do you prefer?

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Note to clarify I prefer the Xbox S-controller. The normal large one is nasty nasty nasty.

2nd would be the Wavebird for the gamecube.

very last would be PS2. The sticks are too slippery to hold in a position for a long time. Crap for using as an accelerator for example. And no triggers! (PS3 better have triggers for good racing games)

3. Toole

Toole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally speaking, it's got to be the PS2 dual shock controller for me. It's a classic, no frills does-the-job controller that's great for just about any kind of game, really.

I find the standard X-Box controller too large and unwieldy to be honest - those black and white buttons at the top are a nightmare to use without having to look down at the controller to make sure you're pressing the right one every time :(

I haven't tried the X-Box controller-S (the smaller replacement controller with the black and whites at the bottom) but I hear it's MUCH easier to use if you find the standard one too bulky.

All in all, I'd say that controller choice is very much a matter of taste. Everybody finds different controllers are better for different types of games and at times I've found that my decision to buy a multi-format game for a particular console has actually come right down to which controller I'd prefer to use for that game.

4. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, overall it's probably the controller s, but for 2d beat em' up ups its' awful

5. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Wavebird

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    i used to love the namco gecon. For racing games it was superb.

Although a dedicated console controller would have to be the dreamcast, or the xbox s controller.

You can't beat those rear analogue triggers for fps games or racing games :D .

but nothing beats keyboard and mouse though :)

7. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,965
    The old Atari VCS joysticks. Or maybe a Konix Navigator (much better than the overated Konix Speedking).....

But from the options given its got to be the standard XBox controller. (I have very large hands). The PS2 controller is way overated IMHO.

8. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wavebird

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I find the PS controllers very uncomfortable. Using the L2 and R2 buttons are very awkward as well.

The analog triggers from the XBox and Dreamcast are the only way to go. They're awkward for shooting and rapid pressing, but aces for driving games and speed controls.

I picked up an S-controller, but I still use the original clunky one that came with the XBox. It just seems to fit my hands better than any others.

10. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    1. Wavebird
    2. Normal GC controller
    3. PS2
    4. Xbox 'S'
    5. N64
    6. Dreamcast

99. Xbox original

11. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Gamecube controller for me

12. Toole

Toole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the subject of Wavebirds - I've seen USB adapters to attach GC controllers to PC, do they work with the Wavebird?

Gut instinct tells me that they should work fine, cuz it's the receiver that handles all the wireless trickery and just relays the info to the GC as a standard controller signal.

I'd love to use a Wavebird for the likes of MAME and tuck all the wires out of the way behind the desk.

Oh yeah, and for the record - If I have to choose between all 3 consoles (and not just X-Box or PS2), then yeah, the Wavebird wins out of the 3 every time - lack of rumble is a small price to pay for the lack of cables.

Does anyone else find themselves 'flicking' the Wavebird occasionally (straightening out the imaginary cable between controller and console)? It's an old habit that I think most people pick up over the years using consoles, but now I find myself doing it automatically.. :rolleyes:

And now on an almost completely unrelated topic... ;)

I've read somewhere that Nintendo are bringing a wireless link-up to the GBA early next year (in Japan at least) - presumably as a response to the PSP having wireless networking capabilities. Do you think it will be an extension of the Wavebird technology? I'm hoping it will be a battery powered attachment with the same level of responsiveness and range as the Wavebird - that would really open up the GBA as a great multiplayer handheld. As it stands now everyone has to sit within an inch of each other and be perfectly still incase someone pulls the bloody cable out :mad:

Anyway, just a thought..

13. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,965
    I think it will be one of the existing or upcoming wireless standards.

Probably Bluetooth at a guess.

14. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    XBox Controller S for me, the original xbox controller is far to bulky, but as Penom2003 says its pretty crap for 2d beat'em ups easliy beaten by the PS2 dual shock

15. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparantly the first Gamecube USB PC adapter (skillz) does not work with the wavebird, I guess I should nip upstairs and try it to be sure, but what put me off was that the anologue part of the shoulder buttons are screwed which is a big loss, the Gamecube controller is great for MAME though, the bigger pad button is great for Track n Field and the controller moulds to your leg nicely to keep it steady for a hammering.

As for imaginary cable with the wavebird, I have a phantom cable that I can feel resting over the bridge of my foot :confused:

16. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I've just bought a standard xbox controller from town but my pc usb adapter has'nt come yet. I'll see how I get on with that one and then I might get the smaller one to try as you lot seem mostly to prefer the smaller one. I looked at them both in the shop and the larger one looked easier to get a good grip on.

17. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    xbox 's' every time:)