1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Console ?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by JEDIBLADE, Oct 5, 2003.

1. JEDIBLADE

JEDIBLADE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    A simple question, which to buy X-Box or PS2. I like Action games such as Medla of Honuor, and driving games. I also need an optical link. Which is the best value for money !!!

Dean

2. mr chadwick

mr chadwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buy em both mate!!

xbox for superb,untouchable online play.
    ps2 for the forthcoming holygrail of footy games-

PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 3

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    remeber XBox has full dolby digital 5.1 in-game, PS2 has it in some cut-scenes but games at best in pro-logic II. I'm not biased, honest:rolleyes:

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    If you are talking value for money there is no argument. Xbox wins hands down. PS2 is 4 year old technology and retails at £10 more than XBOX. Xbox has much, much better graphics, xbox live, a hard disc, which when comes out for PS2 will cost a reported £80. Bringing the cost of a PS2 with h/d to £220, £100 more than an xbox.

Also the dvd playback completely wipes the floor with the PS2 dvd playback.

There are far fewer games on xbox, but many if not most games released now are on PS2 and Xbox. FPS and driving games have their forte on xbox, and the xbox controller is far superior for fps and driving games, with it's rear trigger controls.

With a hi-def pack, there is really no comparison between the two.

5. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Sold i'll take 2 ;) :rotfl:

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll point out that this question has been asked about a thousand times before, so do a search for some very informative (and entertaining) threads.

But, since it hasn't been asked in a while, and XBox now has Live as well as a much larger library of games, in my opinion, it's a no-brainer. PS2 is overpriced because Sony's brand strength is still selling units like nobody's business. XBox is underpriced because MS is desperate to break into the market at any price.

Unless you don't have a PS1, but still have a bunch of PS1 games that you want to play, XBox is the way to go.

Course, if it's more important to be a part of the popular majority than to play quality games, then... ;)

7. stigdu

stigdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I've got both, and I prefer the PS2 so far.....

I'm admittedly quite a newbie to the X-box with just 3 games to my name (KOTOR, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and Colin Mcrae 4) but I certainly don't agree that the graphics are better than on the PS2.

Plus I think the connectivity of the X-Box is crap (no digital optical out?!) when compared to the PS2, although admittedly the DVD playback is supposed to be much better. (Haven't sampled it yet so can't comment)

I would say buy both. If you want a larger choice of games, and can't afford both, then go for the PS2. Don't forget it comes down in price by about £30 really soon.

8. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Get an official RGB scart lead and you'll find you magically have an optical port :smashin:

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I'm not bashing the PS2, this is purely "value for money" speak. :)

The XBox comes with a Hard Drive built in, so in addition to being able to rip your own music files and play them in some games, no need to buy expensive memory cards. It also has 4 controller ports, so no need to shell out on a multi-tap for those multi-player party games. The cost of these peripherals definitely add up.

Nintendo and MS have it right. Four controller ports should be standard these days.

10. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No offence to anyone who has given their opinion but how about suggesting games as a reason to buy or not buy a particular console? :rolleyes:

Who cares about hard drives, multiplayer or online if the Xbox doesn't have the games Jediblade is looking for. :confused:

So, what games do you like? You mentioned M.O.H. MOH is multi-format, and each platform has FPSs that are much, much better than it (IMO). So that shouldn't be used as a guideline.

And can I ask (without getting called a fanboy...) why you have already dismissed the cube?

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    And a much improved picture ;)

Why buy a PS2 when you can get a dreamcast for about £30. Same graphics :)

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849

Because he asked which console is the best value for money?? :rolleyes:

A cube??? What's that? I think i have a vague memory of that :laugh: :D

13. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

...that has games that he likes...

There's a difference.

:boring:

14. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think that it is far more important to have quality games than superior graphics.

Games that are exclusive to PS2 for now (some games will come out on Xbox a bit later though)
    Final Fantasy series, Pro Evo3 & Winning Eleven7, GranTourismo series, Time Crisis, Timesplitters, Kingdom Hearts series, Tekken, SOCOM, Getaway, Devil May Cry series, Sega Sport Tennis, Resident Evil series, Onimusha series, Silent Hill 3, MotoGP3, Metal Gear Solid3, Knockout Kings series,

Games series that are released crossover the consoles include SSX Tricky3, MotoGP2, GTA series, Tony Hawk4, Silent Hill, FIFA series, Medal of Honor series, Tom Clancy Ghost Recon, Soul CaliberII, Baldur Gate's series, Tenchu II, Silent Scope series, Colin McRae series, Prince of Persia, Hitman 2, NHL series, NBA series, Metal Gear Solid II, Max Payne series, TimesplittersII, Burnout series

There are now over 1million pre-orders for Pro Evo 3, and the Japanese version vinning eleven 7 sold 1million copies in 3 weeks when it was launched. That still shows how good games there are for PS2.

Yes, Xbox has better graphics, a hard drive, better online gaming, a better support for dolby digital sound and better dvd playback. But PS2 has much better controllers and the revised version out now has much improved dvd playback altough the price is I agree way too high.

BTW, if you chip the console you can play all the really cool Japanese games, as well as the other purpose of chipping.

Azrikam is right that XBOX does give you much more features for money, but if aren't owning a console about being able to choose really good games from a wide library?

The many good playability games launched here and in Japan combined with excellent controllers (and yes the chipping) are the main reason that my circle of friends still favour PS2 big time.

Why Sony will keep their lead.
    - Over 60 million PS2 owners and 96 million PS owners.
    - New shiny sexy PSX this week (160gb hard drive recorder, dvd recorder, tv tuner, built in net-working & ps2) for around 79800Yen (£430). Appeals to people who wants a hdd & dvd recorder as well as potential console owners and people in general that wants a simplified home entertainment centre. On sale in Europe and US early 2004, and before Christmas in Japan.
    - PS2 & PSX are being released in China!
    - PSP (portable sony playstation) launched in 2004 to take market share from Nintendo. It can play music and movies too.

Wasabi

15. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for games, most games that come out now appear on both the PS2 and XBox. Which version is better is a bit random, but XBox usually beats out the PS2 version from what I've seen. (obviously subject to personal preference)

Here's a list of UK XBox exclusives. (not sure if this list is up to date, and it looks like there are unreleased games on there as well, so take this with a grain of salt)

Blinx: The Time Sweeper
    Brute Force
    Carve
    Conker: Live & Uncut
    Counter Strike X
    Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller
    Dead or Alive 3 - Classic
    Dead or Alive Online
    Dead Or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
    Dino Crisis 3
    Doom III
    Grabbed By The Ghoulies
    Group S Challenge
    Gun Valkyrie
    Halo 2: The Fallen
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    House Of The Dead III
    Jet Set Radio Future
    Kakuto Chojin
    Kung Fu Chaos
    Lamborghini Racer
    Limited Edition Green Xbox Console
    Mech Assault
    Midtown Madness 3
    Moto GP 2
    Moto GP: Ultimate Racing Technology
    Otogi - Myth of Demons
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Project Gotham Racing
    Project Gotham Racing - Classic
    Project Gotham Racing 2
    RalliSport Challenge
    Rallisport Challenge - Classic
    Rallisport Challenge 2
    Sega GT Online
    Shenmue 2
    Splinter Cell 2: Pandora Tomorrow
    Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Steel Battalion
    Tetris Online
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    Toe Jam & Earl 3
    Top Gun Live
    Top Spin
    True Fantasy Live Online
    Unreal Championship
    WWE Raw 2 Ruthless Agression
    Xbox Music Maker
    Yager

From the PS2 exclusives listed, Timesplitters 2 is out on XBox, and the Resident Evil series is out on Gamecube. But you missed the biggest PS2 exclusives there are... GTA and GTA2.

Oh, and I prefer the XBox controllers over PS2 by a lot. But again, that comes down to personal preference.
    As a reference, PS2 controllers are exactly the same as PS1 controllers, and XBox controllers are very similar to the old Dreamcast ones.

16. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849

GTA3 & 4 are coming out on xbox soon. November i think.

17. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. superleeds

superleeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That price is a joke - @£35 both play and specialreserve.

Top games though.

19. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, my mistake.

That price is rediculous, though. I can't see why people still buy games/DVDs offline.

20. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    graphics look an improvement on the pc releases though. Don't know whether thats true or not.

21. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I did list timesplitters2 in the crossover list, but I did miss out the GTA series. On the other hand MotoGP is not Xbox exclusive, but I can believe that the Xbox Green console is ;p

Also I only listed some of the good PS2 titles (if I include Japanese titles and future releases along with the rest, it would be very long) unlike Azrikam that listed all Xbox exclusives which I doubt are all good games.

That there is still life in PS2 yet, just look at the latest software sales in Japan http://www.m-create.com/eng/e_ranking.html
    The PS2 share are still a whopping 37.4%, while Xbox has a measly 0.85% - they might as well pull out from Japan ;p

If we look at the Japanese version http://www.m-create.com/jpn/s_ranking.html (if you want it in english you can translate it with babelfish in altavista.co.uk) that includes top50, there is only 1 xbox title, 25PS2's and 6GC's (I don't include GBA). Also at the bottom you can see the console sales table and Xbox just about managed to hold off the 8year old PSOne ;p, and PS2 is still selling like butter.

All in all, the hardcore Japanese gamers (I can't imagine any more hardcore gamers than them) still thinks that PS2 has the best games. Advanced graphics is not everything.

Wasabi.

22. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Moto GP on the PS2 and Moto GP on the Xbox are 2 entirely different games - the Namco game on the PS2 is rubbish by comparison.

23. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    the real hardcore gamers don't even own consoles. It's all in the PC man.

24. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The games issue is what stops me buying an Xbox. I've already got a PS2, and there are some cracking games on it: Gran Turismo 3, GTA Vice City, The Getaway, SOCOM etc.

There is little in the way of games exclusive to the Xbox to encourage me to buy one. I quite liked Halo, but got bored with it after a while (it looks pretty, but it's quite derivative).

Also, I don't like Microsoft.

A few of my friends have Xboxes, and whilst they're happy with them, they do moan about the lack of software.

As for DVD playback: does anyone actually watch DVDs through a games console?

25. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I just bought "Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic", taking the day off work to play it ;)

It IS all that. An incredible game, and theres no way the gamecube or ps2 could handle either the graphics or the massive hard disc swap-file needed to play it. A true belter, and when the downloadable components become available it will just be even better. :)

As for the Japan comment, Nintendo and Sony's home markets are both Japan, MS obviously is North America, which has by a mile the largest market, although Europe is creeping up on that. So while the most dedicated market is Japan, North America and Europe have by far the larger marketplace.

26. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hooray! Just what the world was waiting for: another Star Wars game!

27. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well, that's my point, it is true that NA and Europe has a larger market place and PS2 has number one spot in those markets as well, which means that Sony leads in all 3 markets (NA, Eur & Asia) and Sony is this Christmas finally entering China (which MS or Nintendo has no plans for) with 1.3billion people, their hunger for electronic goods is huge and it is only matter of time before their spending power will go past NA (They have already past Europe), again, this strategic move will help keep Sony as No1 until PS3 launches.

My final point is that to be successful in the long term, the home market is always the most important market. See the auto market. The big 3 in NA makes almost all their profits from their home market. Although not as extreme, this is goes as well for the French, Italian, German and Japanese brands, home market is vital as the most loyal customers are likely to be located there.

Wasabi

28. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I take it that means that the Nintendo console just released in China is make believe? :p

29. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I just grabbed that list from the first site Google came back with. :)

I agree with you that MS should probably pull out of Japan. But I don't think it's down to lack of quality games that's killing the XBox in Japan. The Japanese market is notoriously "faddy" (nope, I don't think it's a word either). There's also seems to be a large amount of bias against Microsoft, because they are an American games manufacturer. MS themselves admitted that they would have a difficult time breaking into Japan when XBox launched there.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an XBox if I already owned a PS2 unless I found a great deal on it. (or if someone offered to buy my PS2) ;)

And rhoamish, if it helps, MS loses money on every console it sells. If you really hated them, you'd buy an XBox and only play pirated games on it. :devil: (but that would be wrong)

30. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    oops sorry Sinzer, yepp Nintendo is entering China as well.
    http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/2813/
    But that's only last generation console, although there are rumours that because of the PS2 launch, Nintendo might have to release GC as well, so they don't lose even more revenue against Sony.

Wasabi,