which console ???

DodgeTheViper

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anybody advise on which console to buy? X-BOX, PS2, or GAMECUBE?

I will give some criteria.

I have a 36" widescreen TV so, would like the game to fill as much of the screen as possible.
I like sharp clean images.
I will also be routing the sound through a Denon 3802 so, games with DD or Prologic II would be nice.
User friendly game pad is a must.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Kev

I think the answer is wot one do you really want.Coz if you search through the forum you will never find an answer..people have opinions on each one..take a look through the list of games each one has and wot is up coming and pick the console with the games you want..unless of course you can afford to buy all 3..I have an Xbox and a GC..I wouldnt mind an PS2 but I can wait till a price cut..I got the GC coz of its price..but has to admit I aint played it much coz of Halo

Surely you buy a games console for the games? :confused:

If so then the Gamecube IMO.

If you want a tech demo with sharp pictures and DD5.1 sound on your games :rolleyes: - XBox.

If you want to waste your money - PS2. :p

if you want footie ps2 everytime if you want first person shooter xbox with halo if you want star wars lol gamecube.but seriously i have to say i wuold have a ps2 first and a gamecube second,as for the xbox er i never seen one that didnt crash lol

Check out the Gaming Hardware Forum, there are two discussions already ongoing for this topic. Feel too tired to post links :)

Originally posted by SILVERBACK
as for the xbox er i never seen one that didnt crash lol [/B]

Had mine since launch and not one problem. However, I have had ISS on GC crash a few times.....

Moved this thread because it belongs in Gaming Hardware.

It's a bit pointless asking this question on a forum, to behonest. :( You're going to get three different answers (four if you count PC) and most people will tell you to buy what they've got. See previous threads for examples...:rolleyes:

Choose based on what exclusive games are/will be available for a system. If you like Nintendo games buy a GC. If you must have GTA3 and MGS2 then get a PS2. If you want Halo and JSRF then get an Xbox. Get any two of the three if you can and you're laughing (GC is surely cheap and unobtrusive enough to pair with either of the other two).

Sounds like you want a DVD player! Will fill the screen with beautifully sharp picture and dolby digital surround sound. Most of the remotes will be user friendly.

if you want games which are positivly and the most innovative get a nintendo, if you want games which are forced to be on a spefic console get a playstation, if you want a big vcr get an xbox.

oh yeah the ps2 joypad is ok but it is the same as its predessor although in terms of how comfitable it is it 6/10 the xbox controller is a copy of the cube and deamcast, it is soooooooo uncomfortable, but you'll get used to it once you keep on playing ill give it a 4/10, but the cube is the best, the reason being is firstly nintendo are known for making innovaive products, even sega said that the cubes pad and console seems the best, but it is comfortable although the d pad is like the gba d pad size. ill give it a 9/10.
its games that matter just get either a cube or ps2, ive got both and prefer the cube because of its future games.

Re - Cube

Dont forget Sega & Nintendo will be doing 'EXCLUSIVE' games for the GC!

Thats enough for me , thank you !

Oh i know lets slag the Xbox because its big and the same old the controller isnt comfortable.

Personally i find the controller the best out of all the consoles and i dont have big hands either. As ofr the size of the Xbox - surely if your buying a console its to play games on it - not sit there and go oh boy that one bigger then this one.

Personally i think the Xbox is the best console out there for playing games on (i prefur matcho/adult games rather than warm cudly kiddy games). I wouldnt even think of paying the same amount of money for 2 year old tech that will be replaced soon - even Sony admited the PS2 doesnt cut it with the Xbox or the Cube - if people only say get the PS2 due to the availble game base why not also say get a PS1 or a SNES.

I really do get the impression that the Xbox slagging crowd only slag it cause they 1) Dont like MS 2) Its following the sheep 3) Its politically correct to slag it - seems to me to be cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I just wonder who peoples reactions would have been if MS had released the Cube and Nintendo had released the Xbox.

I remeber way back when there was the Snes and the Megadrive - everyone slagged the SNES and said the Megadrive was the better console (when clearly the Snes was better and had the better games) and they all hated Nintendo - how times have changed.

Spike

I've got to concur on the controller. I had heard it was too big, and was kicking myself after picking up an additional controller in my XBox bundle when I heard the Controller S was being released.

But, it is without a doubt the most comfortable controller I've used. A friend of mine who is used to the PS2 controller had a hard time reaching all the buttons, but they are positioned perfectly for my grip. I'm sure all 3 companies did testing on the controllers, so it mostly comes down to personal preference.

Looks like you have a setup very similar to mine mate and here is what I think.

To be honest I would recomend you buy a GC and a Xbox.
The massive appeal of a Xbox on a system like yours and mine is DD5.1 and only Xbox can produce this in a game on the fly.
The graphics are also amazing especially on a 36inch tv.
I play halo quite alot and the sound is something you have to hear to believe.

Nintendo have released a stunning console in the GC and has the most potential IMO.
The sound on RL in PL2 is fantastic and I am not impressed easily but the GC is very very impressive.

If you want quantity get a ps2 but I think you want quality so go and get a Xbox and or a GC.

Pretty much everyone I knew back in the 16-bit era supported the SNES more than the MD... Maybe it was because of the RPGs or the fact that it had quality games on it. ::shrugs:: I'm always in favour of multiple consoles anyway so it didn't bother me.

As for owning "macho/adult Vs kiddy games" then its simply a matter of choice. If you look at the market at a whole then the largest market share belongs to the "teens" then the "mature". The largest sports franchise is FIFA and thats hardly an adult title. Best selling platformer belongs to Mario - while it has a cartoon-ish presentation it still has stellar gameplay and was voted game of the year by videogame developers, etc. surely the developers are not kids themselves?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't give a toss if its an "adult" or a "kiddy" title. If the genre suits me and the game is fun that will do. The keyword here is fun, either by violence (GTA3, Half Life, Bomberman, Street Fighter etc) or by other means (Rez, Virtua Tennis, Mario, Sonic, etc).

Spikeyboyo, after all, if you can name me 10 titles that fit into the "adult" section on the Xbox released right now then please do so. It'll be interesting to read since it'll back up your point.

We're only slagging off the console because of the games... Not because of image, not because of specs and not because of the size of the controller or the console itself. Hell not even because its Microsoft since if we hated MS so much we wouldn't be using Windows.

For a console to survive and to do well it needs quality games and at the end of the day, thats why we buy a console in the first place. If we wanted to talk about specs I'm sure there are many PC owners who would love to brag about their 3D Mark scores...

Could i name 10 adult titles on the Xbox at them moment no - could i name 10 on th GC no - however could i name a few on the Xbox yes - Halo, DOA3, ISS, PGR, Railysport. - could i name that many on the GC no (these are what i would call more mature titles).

I dont hate Nintendo - i think they have a good console and who knows i may end up buying one as well, just for me the games arnt what i like - except maybe SMB and RL. In fact ive always had nintendo consoles from the original Nintendo, Snes, N64, GB, GBC, GBA - i just find that im more grown up now and dont get as much fun out of running around as a cartoon charater - i want blood and guts etc :) suppose its a bit like watching a film on BBC and Sky - BBC cuts all the language and blood scenes and sky doesnt. Ive always found that Nintendos own games and the qualtiy controll by nintendo on other parties games means the games all get toned down on the nintendo format (i know its a blast from the past but anyone remeber the green blood) - maybe this has/will change on the CG.

Neo im not dissing you or saying that you are the person that slates the Xbox due to size, manufacture etc. In your other posts you have always given a fairly presise some up of each platform. Its all the others that get my hair up - they just seem to follow the crowd and slate the Xbox due to its size etc

Spike

Good point. I don't consider the Gamecube a "kiddy" system, by any stretch, but Nintendo has been notorious for censoring and "cleaning up" games in the past. Just compare some games that came out for both the PS and N64 for some examples.

Like movies, I want my games the way the developers intended them. And if that means with buckets of blood, so be it. Course, I haven't heard of Nintendo doing the same with the Gamecube, so this may be a moot point anyway.

In the Gamecube defence, adult titles (non cutesy graphics) could be listed as :

Rogue Leader - Adult sci-fi theme
Eternal Darkness - Horror
Metroid Prime - Dark Sci-fi
Resi Evil - Horror
Soulcalibur 2
ISS Pro
Need for Speed series

It is definately a little more adult orientated than previous Nintendo consoles, but still I would say it is the most cutesy. I think it has the best blend as the marketing for the cube is definately aimed at young adults 18-30, with dark drum and bass soundtrack and weird imagery. In fact the cube advertising has been some of the most impressive yet.

We shall all see, I hope all the consoles do well as that can only mean good news for us gamers.

Yeah... To be honest with you I've found the people on these forums quite refreshing since I've been to many forums, videogames or otherwise and there are always a few flamers, fanboys etc around. At least everyone here helps out and are honest with opinions... Mind you anyone who have spent £2k+ on a TV would voice their opinions if there was a fault anyway!

Plus I suppose most of you guys are over 20 anyway since loads of gaming forums (that I've been to) are full of kids that produce more hot air than facts and rational opinions.

Back on topic.. Previously Nintendo have been annoying with censorship alright (damn green blood in Mortal Kombat, strippers removed from Duke Nukem, religious issues removed in Final Fantasy...) but they have relaxed a lot of these issues as an attempt to gain a wider audience.

Plus the immortal president of Nintendo has FINALLY retired ::cheers of joy::. At last Nintendo won't be governed by one man and at last Nintendo could team up with Square again and other companies. The change of power won't be sudden but 3rd party support should grow since Nintendo were v.arrogant back in the N64 era.

I'm still going to buy an Xbox sooner rather than later though. Tekki has sparked up a fuss in Japan (is is a mecha game after all ^_^) and for me, Halo and Tekki will do nicely. IMO there should be more mecha games out, Virtua On on the dreamcast is ace and I've yet to play MechWarrior 4 on the PC... Gun Griffon is alright and Armored Core III is out soon in Japan. Other than that though theres little choice... Ah well, you can't have it all.

Actually before that I need to make a desk for all the consoles.. Its a bit of a mess atm >_< Good ol' NES, GB, SNES, GBA, SAT, PSX, N64, DC, PS2, GC and an Xbox would almost complete the collection. A Genesis would be nice if only for Contra IV and Gunstar Heroes as well. Heh would be nice if I still had my Amstrad CPC 464 as well just for nostalgic value. If anyone has any design suggestions it would be welcome ^_^

Agreed. These forums are aces for valid and (relatively :) ) unbiased discussion.

As for your game setup, have you considered getting a server rack? :)

You need to add the NEO GEO in for King of Fighters and Metal Slug :)

Mechwarrior 4 is a pretty good game, multiplayer it is an excellent display of Netcode (about the only time I found the MSN zone to actually work!). However, I found it really very easy (compared to MW2 and Mercs) just load up with some nice big weapons and most mechs are dust, completed every mission apart from the last one on my first go.

Mech games do rock, I used to love playing Mechcommander online, although I have mostly played with FASA orientated games.

It will be interesting to see how a 40 button keypad is organised! I suppose if all goes wrong it could be used for a new version of Dance Dance happy revolution fun party or whatever other nonsense those japanese come up with. :)

Anyone used one of those fighting mats yet?

lol I haven't tried out the fighter mats.. Don't think I ever will ^_^ Theres even a football mat around made for the world cup as well! God knows how that'll work...

Heh the NeoGeo has some stunning games alright. Samurai Showdown IV, ShockTroopers II, Last Blade II, KoF, Metal Slug... Its a shame that the carts cost so much! £200+ a pop is a tad much for me. As for the NeoGeo CD... 1x speed is awfully slow so MAME will have to do ^_^ BTW Metal Slug 3 should be released soon as well as the new KoF... I'm sure someone will have a ROM dump soon for us <g>

I'll have to get MechWarrior 4 sometime... Even though its easier than MW2 as you said, it still should be fun in a multiplayer environment. I'm just waiting for a proper VR version of a mech game since that would be rather classy. Its a shame that most VR games though are pants and only support low poly models with flat shaded graphics... Something akin to a SuperFX Chip game on the SNES.

As for the server rack suggestion that'll be too big lol. I'll design one in the next few days and post it up. Doesn't look like I've got any AutoCAD software installed so Photoshop will have to do.

Well best be off... More footie on in the morning. The early kick off's have really messed up my sleeping patterns >_<

Personally at the moment the consoles I would go for are the dreamcast (Ive now got a couple as EB were selling them at £20 second hand unboxed) as its graphics are at least as good as the PS2 if not better and a GC. The only problem with this is segas said its mainly going to develope its larger franchises for the GC, so in the long run the DC may be redundent, but with games ranging from £2.99 new to £30ish its a cheap console to have a large selection for. The GC looks amazing but Ive one Question anyone know what the panasonic dvd player ones like, I was wondering of importing?

Thanks David :D

If the worst thing people can say about the Xbox is that it's too big and the controller is uncomfortable then I'd be pleased if I were Microsoft!

I don't understand why some people have this hang up on buying just one console, the cost of the hardware now is actually a relativly small part of your total ownership costs, e.g. The cost of 3 games buys you a Gamecube, approx 4 games for a PS2 or Xbox.

There are great games on each platform, buy 'em all!

Originally posted by David_fram
Personally at the moment the consoles I would go for are the dreamcast (Ive now got a couple as EB were selling them at £20 second hand unboxed) as its graphics are at least as good as the PS2 if not better and a GC. The only problem with this is segas said its mainly going to develope its larger franchises for the GC, so in the long run the DC may be redundent, but with games ranging from £2.99 new to £30ish its a cheap console to have a large selection for. The GC looks amazing but Ive one Question anyone know what the panasonic dvd player ones like, I was wondering of importing?

Thanks David :D

Hehe I hope you're joking about some Dreamcast points David ^_^ While it does have very clean graphics due to the amount of texture RAM available (16MB Vs the PS2's 4MB) its no where near as powerful as the PS2 or GC. That doesn't matter though since the Dreamcast is a top console with many great games and cracking 2D fighting ports.

The Dreamcast has been discontuniued for a year and a half now I believe.. Possibly longer, hence the cheap prices.

As for the Panasonic Q it is very nice indeed. It will cost you £315 minus the shipping costs. If you get it from lik-sang they would have modded it for you, which would include DVD region 1-6 NTSC and region 1-6 PAL, Japanese and USA game compatibility and MP3 playback. Pretty sweet package but I've heard that the price might go down even more because of the recent slash on the Gamecube.

I agree with nsouthga, I don't know why some people insist on supporting one platform to the death without trying out other games. After all if you were a gaming fan you'd play on the titles regardless of the platform. Then again talking to fanboys would be like talking to hardcore football supporters...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom