• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Console?

I'm thinking of buying a new games console, get back into gaming.

Which one is what I can't decide on!
PS3
PS4
Or Xbox!

I was an ardent gamer for many years and played for hours. I know the games are not compatible from PS3 to PS4 and I know the new Final Fantasy game is coming out on PS4 but the PS3 is a lot cheaper.

I like playing online games and feel I don't want to pay for Xbox membership. I've also been known to play on the Nintendo DS for hours and have completed more games on that than any console.

Pros and cons? Am buying one on Friday 25th when I get paid. :)

spudtator

I'd personally hold back from the next gen consoles until more content is out for them.

Bill Hicks

Banned
PS4 PS4 PS4!
And get yourself a copy of Tomb Raider.
Word of warning you have to now pay for PSN on the PS4, not sure if you have to on the PS3. It used to be free?

by the way I'm not a fanboy, just love my console :)

MIghtyG

Im a fairly big gamer and have both the PS3 and 360, really want to buy the new consoles but as has been said, neither of them have any decent content yet to make it worth buying just yet.

I would either pick up a second hand 360 first, go through the back catalouge of games for a while. Will be nice and cheap and take up some time while you wait for the next gen consoles to actually get some decent games worth buying one for.

Reason I would go for the 360 is personal preference really, I prefer the games on 360, the controller is much better, the online setup is better etc etc. Although, its all personal preference on PS3 vs. 360. They are both almost identical in performance and only have a handful of exclusives each.

If you feel up to it though, PC gaming is the future :D Spend a little more upfront to invest in a good PC then make it all back in the cost difference of games. For example, Lego Marvel (which I just pickeed up on the 360 annoyingly) Comes in at I think 25quid, was the cheapest, pick it up on steam for the PC for 3 quid.....

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I'd recommend PS3 with PS+ subs. You'll get quality free games each month and you can also 'purchase' (free) PS4 and vita PS+ games each month too, so if and when you got a ps4 or vita, you'd have a bunch of free games to play immediately.

This way you have access to the best of the last gen games and if you get back into gaming, you could get a PS4 later when the catalogue has grown.

THE_FORCE

Banned
If you were to buy a console at this very moment in time, then the PS3 still seems the logical choice due to it's huge catalogue of games and superior media capabilities.

The PS Vita also has a wealth of decent titles now if you're into handheld gaming, including the latest FFX/X-2 HD remaster which is stunning.

If you were to hold off for a while, say maybe June (yet to be confirmed), you could pick up a PS4 with The Last Of Us Remastered - the graphically updated release of the incredible PS3 version....along with all the DLC available.

Unfortunately, but understandably, the PS4 currently has only a few worthy titles due to the fact that it's still a baby, but finally that's changing - and it is the most powerful console available today. The new Dualshock 4 controller is also one amazing bit of kit. :)

Regardless, if you do buy into the Playstation ecosystem, your first port of call should be purchasing a Playstation Plus subscription.

Best thing to happen to gaming since it was invented. ;)

I notice no one has recommended the Xbox One, is there a reason for that?

I'm going to look at prices for vita and see what the best deals are. I'm also borrowing a 360 off someone see how I get on with that. I still have Ridge Racer and fable 3 on 360 from when I sold my last Xbox a long time ago.

Thank everyone for thoughts :)

Rawschach

Distinguished Member
my ps3 just broke - i considered buying an xbox one or a ps4 for the blu ray mainly but i can't justify the extra £££ as none of the games currently available float my boat at all

personally i would choose the 360 over the ps3 - i had both and only bought about 4 games for the ps3 (though Last of Us is absolutely brilliant)

Pisto_Grih

Distinguished Member
PS3 with PlayStationPlus membership is what has rekindled my gaming, and also got a PS Vita for handheld stuff.still need to find that one game for the Vita that will make me not put it down (a la Skyrim or Far Cry on the ps3) currently playing Hotline Miami which is awesome.

perhaps they are too busy gaming :)

Personally I'd go for the XB1 I have more online friends on XBL and prefer the controller. The PS4 (which I also have) is also excellent, but can bee a little noisy at times, so if you have to have the volume down, bear that in mind.

Either one will give you many years of pleasure...have fun.

I notice no one has recommended the Xbox One, is there a reason for that?

I'm going to look at prices for vita and see what the best deals are. I'm also borrowing a 360 off someone see how I get on with that. I still have Ridge Racer and fable 3 on 360 from when I sold my last Xbox a long time ago.

Thank everyone for thoughts :)

Solar

Wii U.
Mario 3d, DK: tropical freeze, Mario Kart (next month), Zelda remake, LEGO city, Smash Bros (q4), super mario/luigi bros, virtual console, free online play.
Way ahead of the current competition if you ask me. Oh, and it is much cheaper.

Buy one of the others when they come down to £250ish.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
I bought a PS4 and was disappointed with it. The machine is supposed to be state of the art yet when I try to load players met whilst gaming, it takes longer than the PS3 did.

I've played the PS3 more than I have the PS4 since getting it.

I reckon the Wii U will trump them both once Mario Kart is released.

I'm sure the PS4 will be great in a couple of years.

I think the next time I will fire up the PS4 will be November, just to see what Sledgehammer will do with Cod on the new console.

Last edited:

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
I don't play but my 16 year old does and he went to PC a couple of years ago and hardly ever touches his xbox now. As has been said spend a lot now but you save on games from steam.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
I'm thinking of buying a new games console, get back into gaming.

Which one is what I can't decide on!
PS3
PS4
Or Xbox!

I was an ardent gamer for many years and played for hours. I know the games are not compatible from PS3 to PS4 and I know the new Final Fantasy game is coming out on PS4 but the PS3 is a lot cheaper.

I like playing online games and feel I don't want to pay for Xbox membership. I've also been known to play on the Nintendo DS for hours and have completed more games on that than any console.

Pros and cons? Am buying one on Friday 25th when I get paid. :)
I think there are just 2 simple things to factor in here:

• Which console has/is getting the games you want to play?
  • Do you game online? If so, which console do your friends have? Whether it's a Playstation or an XBOX, it's worth factoring that in, if playing against them important to you.

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
I agree with Azzin although if there is a particular style of games you like then it may be worth looking at the exclusives on each machine, i.e. if you like tomb raider, then get a PS3 and the uncharted series.
Although like others i would hold off the latest gen of consoles for a while.

If you don't have any friends that game on line and fancy gaming with people who you have a "connection" with then when you have purchased your console of choice get yourself over to that section of AVF peeps will happily add you to their FR lists.

If you end up with a 360 then PM me your GT and i'll happily add you.

Oh thanks I'm going to pick up a 360 today as I'm borrowing it off someone.

Only know a few gamers so will add a few from this lovely community :)

I play adventure games like FF and Fable, when I was into gaming before I had a ps3 and an Xbox - but I doubt I'll do that this time. I'd consider a console and handheld thou.

Sonic67

Banned
PS3 will be cheaper and has a huge catalogue of games like The Last Of Us, Heavy Rain, GTA etc, PS4 will cost more and the games are still new but will be around for years. It depends on whether you want to get the cream of the last generation or come in at the start of the next one.

All consoles have their merits though.

THE_FORCE

Banned
I can't wait to see what Quantic Dream do on the PS4.

Beyond: Two Souls on the PS3 was without question the most graphically impressive game on any console platform of the last generation (superb story to boot), and with the PS4's superior power....well the mind boggles.

If you were to get any next gen console, then the PS4 is where it's at...and will continue to be.

It's outsold both the Xbone and Wii U, so the devs will be looking at that as their preferred platform if only for potential revenue. ;)

Garry123

Oh thanks I'm going to pick up a 360 today as I'm borrowing it off someone.

Only know a few gamers so will add a few from this lovely community :)

I play adventure games like FF and Fable, when I was into gaming before I had a ps3 and an Xbox - but I doubt I'll do that this time. I'd consider a console and handheld thou.

I honestly wish I had not given my PS3 away. The PS4 is good but their are not enough games yet. Maybe get a Vita or PS3 then get a PS4 later on or an Xbox one if you like the one you are borrowing. Plus if you wait a while the price may come down.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
360 for me. Having said that I'm always impressed with the PS3 in my son's room. It is probably a 'better' media centre. Also, PS3 gamers don't seem to be as good as 360 gamers [ducks].

MIghtyG

If you were to get any next gen console, then the PS4 is where it's at...and will continue to be.

It's outsold both the Xbone and Wii U, so the devs will be looking at that as their preferred platform if only for potential revenue. ;)

And the 360 outsold the PS3 when it was launched but they both kept going pretty strong with exclusives on both.

I think its pretty apparent that both consoles will do well, both will have great games, and bothe will have their own exclusive 'killer apps' which will be great but will never kill the other.

360 for me. Having said that I'm always impressed with the PS3 in my son's room. It is probably a 'better' media centre. Also, PS3 gamers don't seem to be as good as 360 gamers [ducks].

Horses for courses, if you have a windows media set up Xbox is pretty decent. The only downside is netflix is behind a pay wall lack of blu ray drive. But if you use a windows PC for media it works pretty well as a media center extender.

That being said, at the moment, gun to my head. I would buy a PS4, give it 6-7 months, and its 50/50 to be honest.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom