1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Console??

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by lemming, Nov 17, 2003.

1. lemming

lemming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xbox or PS2?, purely for gaming, not too interested in playing my DVD's on it.

:confused:

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Gamecube?

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Hehe, I should add to the rules

When asking what console please state what games you like to play as that obviously decides what console you should buy :p

4. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say PS2, if I had to choose. Thankfully I don't!

Steev

5. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Me neither..... - ;0)

6. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sort of games do you like? Do you have Broadband, and want to play online? Do you play with mates? What consoles do your mates (if you have any:D ) have? Do you have any older consoles?

Those should do. We can't tell you your going to like the PS2 or XBox because we like them, players have personal tastes, not everyone likes game A, some prefer game B for reason C.

Of course if you can get all three consoles :D

Rich

7. lemming

lemming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been away from the game scene for a bit (sad thirty something!), but like Medal of Honour and similar.

Probably be playing mostly on my own :(
    Not bothered about internet gaming at the moment.

Don't get too much time (very young kids) so have only got permission for the one console! :nono:

Owned a PS1 a few years back.......which was ok :rolleyes:

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    modded xbox for sure.

mega-drive,snes and 64 gmaes emulated (among god-knows how many others).
    Divx,xvid and a whole host of other codecs.
    The ability to save whole games on the hdd (no more game-disks needed fella's:) )

well, the games: PGR1&2, ghost recon, soul calibur 2 blah blah blah.

Anyway, i can easily say the xbox is the best of the three.

9. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Xbox has a wide variety of FPS games. The bundle from Game includes:

Halo
    Midtown Madness
    Medal of Honor
    Timesplitters 2

I find it has more detailed graphics if that's your thing, and has the most comfortable controller ( provided you get the controller s, which is supplied in the current bundle ).

It comes with a built in hard drive, so you won't have to spend any extra on a memory card.

And if you have a widescreen tv or dolby digital home cinema it also supports these features.

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Same old, same old :)

There's lots of (heated) debates on which is the best. No such thing as the "BEST" console.

Xbox is true next-gen, much better graphics, much better for resolution and sound as it has in game dolby 5.1

PS2 has larger variety of games, and is introducing good looking online games, although the quality of the ps2 online is highly questionable.

On balance, my preference was xbox as i prefer better graphics, and most games these days are multi-platform.

Xbox excels at driving and fps games especially, ps2 excels are "arcady" games.

Xbox is far cheaper, has a hard drive, built in broadband, all which set you back a lot as extras for the ps2.

EDIT: Xbox £120 at amazon, PS2 silver £140, plus £25 network card, £80 hard drive. so thats £245 for PS2 vesus £120 for xbox. It's all down to personal preference.

I'd think hard about a gamecube, i recently bought one and it doesn't get much use, although they are cheap, but have very few games (and too be honest i'm tired of mario :) )

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gotta be a PC then surely! No console can compete with the PC when it comes to first-person shooters (and Real Time Strategy games) ;)

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I second Lex.

PC's are the ultimate gaming machines, but cost a pretty penny more than a console.

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I'd also agree with Lex but i had to make the choice the other month and chose a modded xbox, what mainly sold it to me was graphics, 5.1 and the emulators. A modded one will do far more though and a quick search on these forums should list some benefits. My bro is that impressed he has recently sold his ps2 and bought a xbox ;)

14. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    GOOD MAN!! you know it makes sence;)

15. lemming

lemming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So maybe just upgrading the PC would be a better solution??
    :confused:
    Not sure how PC games compare to console games??
    :suicide:

16. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It really depends what kind of games you want - things like soccer games and racing games are far better on consoles, but games like Half-Life, and Age of Empires are a million times better on PC :)

17. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It's worth having a console for driving games mate and stuff, and i'd get an xbox if i were you Lemming.

18. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PC and gamecube, thats what i got and its the best combo, i love FPS games and the PC cannot be matched for those, and i want to play top class exclusive games which is why i got a gamecube,

My mate has an XBOX and every time i go round i have to take my gamecube as he always wants to play it over his XBOX (says alot :)

19. mr chadwick

mr chadwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get an xbox,rainbow 6 and xbox live starter kit and come and join us slags blowing the **** out of eachother!

your cold winter nights will not be same mate.

ive owned all the consoles and would say the xbox is the best.imo

20. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i'll 2nd that.......

21. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Despite what many might say there is no single right answer to this question. I'll try to summarise:

If you like FPS and strategy games and have lots of cash get a PC.
    If you like FPS, driving, sports games have don't have lots of cash get an Xbox.
    If you like a varied selection of games that are easy to get into get a PS-2
    If you like games that are in depth and highly playable but varied then get a Gamecube.

Thats my opinion on the consoles today. During last Christmas and most of this year I couldn't imagine not having my Gamecube, the Christmas before it was Halo Halo Halo, since then though the Xbox has been pretty dissapointing, until the last couple of months with some solid games coming out on Xbox and Xbox Live. The PC though is back with a vengence as games companies want to do things that the consoles simply don't have the power to do.

If you do get an Xbox and mod it ensure that you get a switch for the mod chip and be very careful about going on to Live with the chip enabled, especially recently where a couple of newer games sign into Live as the boot up now, a trend I expect Microsoft to exploit.

Regards,
    Neil.

22. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    PS2 is good but not great. Has some classic games like GT3 but even that looks well dated against PGR2. My PS2 gets very little use now. Still good for a laugh but looks dated and expensive IMHO.

PC is definately an idea although I find PC gaming infuriating with a lot of games simply refusing to run on my PC due to driver, chipset, VGA card etc. etc. issues. Having said that, C games are super cheap and plentiful on Ebay etc.

Xbox is the DADDY. It has Live which changes everything. The problem with Sony is they don't have enough expertience or infrastructure in the internet. MS are building a huge base of Live users and I bet many PS2 owners are deep down curious as to what all the fuss is about.

GC, dunno, never used one but I would be put off by the dissapointing range of games that most stores stock. Supposed to be some good ones though and the quality is supposed to be up there with XBOX.

At the end of the day the Xbox is the killer package. IF you like games like MOH then it's the one for you.

23. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can i also just say This XMAS and probably every XMAS after this would not be the same without the gamecube or a Nintendo console for me,

having freinds and family around at XMAS having a great time on Mario kart Double Dash, F Zero, Wave Race, Metoid, Mario, etc its what XMAS is all about, no other console for me could come anywhere near matching that.

24. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Man, how times have changed. I remember just after the launch being one of the few advocates of the XBox over the PS2.

But now the games library has increased, the price has come down, and Live is kicking into gear. All of a sudden it's not so lonely being an XBox owner. :D