Which console should I get if I like playing JRPGs?

Which console should I get?

• XBOX360

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Playstation 3

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • XBOX One

• Playstation 4

• Wii U

• Other

• Total voters

mmikage

Novice Member
Reaction score
...and have any recommendations? :)

OK, so I was an avid gamer back when I was in my teens (ok, I'm not that old--mid-twenties, but it seemed like ages ago @_@) and I had both the PSx and PS1, both PS2 phat and slim (looking back, it was such a waste of several months of allowance money, but I was stupid then), an SNES, a Sega Saturn, N64, a Gameboy Color and an Advance.

The games I loved playing were mostly JRPGs like the Suikoden series (I love them so much, I practically mutilated my Suikoden I and II CDs--but unfortunately, don't have the cash to replace them, sigh), the Tales series, Thousand Arms, the Lunar series, Final Fantasy (of course, how can it not be there?), Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, Persona, Megami Tensei & Shin Megami Tensei, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star, Disgaea, Legend of Zelda, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, Wild Arms, Xenogears, Grandia, Lufia, Dragon Quest... well, you get the picture. I also like the occasional RPG like Tomb Raider and cute or fun casual gaming like Crash Bandicoot and Cooking Mama. Haha... I also played SIM games like Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon or The Sims (but I get bored of them after playing continuously a few days).

The only semi-new consoles I have now are mostly portables AKA a Nintendo DSLite and a 3DS, and a PSP Slim, plus a Nintendo Wii. I've long been a fan of Phoenix Wright for DS while I only bought the Wii for my sisters 'cause they also love playing said cutesy casual games like Cooking Mama. I have no clue if it has JRPGs.

My question is, which among the newer consoles (namely: PS3, XBOX360, PS4, XBOX1, WiiU--are there anything else?) have the most RPGs playable? Because I don't want to go buy a console and end up finding out that I won't like most games that are available for it. I'm leaning towards XBOX360 for now because of Catherine, Tales of Vesperia (of course), Tomb Raider and Fables but I'm asking for a second opinion 'cause I don't know if there's other perks with going with a different console. I've heard that the XBOX1 is not backwards compatible, so it's kinda useless to buy it at the moment. What do you guys think?

I have both the 360 and PS3.
While the 360 has Tales of Vesperia the PS3 has Tales of Graces F, Tales of Xillia and Xillia 2 due out next year and downloadable versions of final fantasy games. Catherine is also out on the PS3.
If you like tomb raider you will love the Uncharted series.
The 360 does have Blue Dragon and one of my fav rpgs Lost oddysey, and the likes of Skyrim and Oblivion look and perform better on the 360.

Theres a new Phoenix Wright game out thats download only on the 3DS and the following rpgs:

Tales of the Abyss
Fire Emblem
Bravely Default
Legend of Zelda: Occarina of time
Etrian Odyssey
Project X Zone

The Wii also has some jrpgs exclusives that I can't remember the name of but I wanted to play.

PSP has a fair few, but the ones I have played are:

Valkyria Chronicles 2
Final fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Tactics Ogre
Trails in the Sky

That should be quite a few hours of play there without having to buy a new console :)

the best wii rpg is xenoblade chronicles which can be played on the wii u also. the wii u has the follow up codenamed x being made for it , there is the legend that is earthbound on the wii u virtual console. the ps3 also has persona 5 coming to it at the end of 2014

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom