Which console? PS2, Cube or X-Box?

lol DOA better than VF4 evo!! Christ i almost p***ed myself when i read that.

Dead or Alive is the most realistic in terms of graphics and gameplay. The control system is incrediably intuitive, and the counter system frankly phenomenal.

At this point I had to break from typing this message as I was rolling around on the floor in fits of hysteria!!

DOA is a good fun game but it's very easy, lacks any real depth and is really for people without the time, ability and commitment to get the most out of VF4. It's almost like saying that Outrun is more realistic than Gran Turismo. Outrun is a great fun game (even today) but you get the point surely?? The fact is that if Realistic racing games, Footie games or fighting games are your bag then the only real choice is a PS2 as GT3, PES3 and VF4evo are all the best games in their genre's on the console formats...yes I know the PS2 is technically crap compared to an X-Box but that means nothing if the best games in the mentioned genre are only available on PS2. On the other hand...if arcade racers, console FPS's or tennis games are your thing then i'd go for an X-Box as PGR2, Halo & Topsin are genre leaders on the console formats.

Everyone should have a Gamecube as they basically give the console away and there's loads of great games on it (metriod prime, Zelda, F-Zero etc etc). Although saying that I have yet to get one myself! which is rather sad!

Its been a long time now, I've checked the forums.

Its seems a big favour for Xbox on this forum, or possibly GC, but just to let you know, there still life in the old dog PS2 if you see comments below and read the whole articles from biggest games "industry" news and analytical website. and as I said before - its all about the gaming pleasure. Even the latest numbers for NA, UK, Japan - old PS2 is still dominating, although the sales of PS2 units has already peaked (although I'm sure they are happy with over 70million units shipped e.g. USA 30million shipped and 24.5 million units sold - in general they probably have sold at least 85% of units shipped - remarkable), the PS2 software will continue to dominate its market.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=3101
"It will hardly come as a major shock to anyone who follows the charts to learn that out of the Top 20 best sellers of 2003, 19 of them were released on the PS2. Pure and simply, the PS2 absolutely wiped the floor with every other format in the market. In the entire Top 50, just six titles exclusive to other formats figured in the listing (two Champ Man titles, two Pokemon titles, Mario Kart, and The Sims: Superstar).

For example, the proportion of PS2 sales on virtually every best-selling games was in this region, such as FIFA 2004 (73%), Need For Speed: Underground (77%), Rising Sun (81%), Enter The Matrix (68%), The Simpsons Hit & Run (74%), True Crime (76%), Crash Bandicoot: Wrath Of Cortex (76%), and Tony Hawk's Underground (78%)."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=3075
6 out of top ten are PS2 games for the february chart in Japan.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=3093
Also for the UK february chart, PS2 part of games is doing way strongest.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=3041
In total, counting both PS2 and PSone, Sony grabbed 47.7 per cent of the units in 2003 (22.82m) - slightly down on the 48.6 per cent posted in 2002, while Sony's total share of the value of the market hit 49.6 per cent (£486.3m), compared to 51.9 per cent in 2002. While the market share percentages fell slightly, the value was up some 15.4 per cent up on 2003, so Sony won't be complaining too much.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=3074
"Even with sales of the two machines combined, the ageing PS2 still managed to outsell the pair of them by 1.63 to one.

Once again, for any game store, the PS2 is by far the major revenue generator - consider the fact that the machine brings in greater than 12 times the cash than the GameCube for the average gaming outlet, and you can see why the space devoted to the format is so large."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=3050
"SCEA has announced that it has sold over 25 million PlayStation 2 consoles in North America to date Sales of the PlayStation 2 are expected to drop off during 2004 as the console is now widely believed to have passed its peak selling period. However, sales of software on the platform are forecast to remain strong by most market watchers, while the uptake of the company's online offering is likely to grow as new online titles arrive on the market and long-term PS2 owners seek new uses for their existing console."

Wasabi

so true mate..in the real world there is only 1 console at the moment...the PS2..when it comes down to it though they are now all aging underpowered machines (consoles only really remain at a decent technological level for their 1st year of release anyway). If you want graphically impressive games you just buy a PC with about 10 times the power of even the X-Box and it becomes clear how behind PC's consoles are now. There is a performance gap between the X-box, CG and PS2 but it's not huge and isn't really reflected in the games released. The X-Box may be able to do the games slightly better than the PS2 but everyone has a PS2 not an X-Box so they obviously get developed for the PS2 instead (or in most cases at least first).

You must also remember that the top selling games are not usually games that are actually decent :p

The top 20 critically acclaimed games for any system will usually be no where near the top 20 sellers.

This forum does heavily favour X-Box, it is fair to be said. However, it is understandable as this is (for the main part) a technical AV forum and hence most users will favour the technical leader.

I believe that given the rocky start all the consoles had at the beginning of their life, it has now really evened out and tbh I don't think many people would be disappointed with owning any of the current consoles.

Wasabi, I love how you say it's all about gaming pleasure, then quote tons of sales figures. :D

Yes, there's an Xbox bias on this forum because there's a lot of Xbox owners on here. It wasn't always that way, though. For the first year it was out, Xbox was sh*t upon by most every member here because most of them were PS2 owners. (I'm not whinging, just stating the facts)

Now that there's more forum-goers who have tried the Xbox out firsthand, and played some of the great games on it, it's only natural that they try and stem the tide of PS2-bias. If you still enjoy your PS2, that's great. But the fact of the matter is that the Xbox is a quality games machine with some of the best games on the market.

Sales figures just prove that the PS2 is still the most popular. Titanic is the most popular movie of all time, that doesn't mean it's the best. ;)

I also agree that DOA is a better game than VF4, but that's just my opinion. I'm well aware that VF has a deeper control system, but I find DOA just fun to play. Isn't that what it's all about?

But the fact of the matter is that the Xbox is a quality games machine with some of the best games on the market.
by Azrikam

Yes, thats true, I haven't said that PS2 is the best tech box, nor have I've said that xbox doesn't have some of the best games.

I'm just giving some opinions from the analytical industry that the articles PS2 is still outselling Xbox in terms of financial ratios which is statistically a better measurement as PS2 has had longer time to establish. That it is still outselling others in a technological minded industry that usually have a short life span, is even more remarkable for an soon 3year old product, see any other product area, mobile phones, pc's, tv's, dvd players etc etc, there are no product that survives more than for a year.

Sony has come up with a good product (hardware and absolutely the software base) coupled of effective marketing and branding and image - making it the Apple of computers's.

Azrikam, you are stating that XBOX is the best gaming machine, and I'm saying that majority of consumers into console gaming in this world that although PS2 is old, still supports it. Despite huge Microsoft and Nintendo efforts, marketing budgets and brand value, they haven't been able to rock the boat.

Now what is gaming according to me? I think it is clearly the playability of the game, the involvement. Come to Far East Asia, the capital of gaming (wherels would you find so many youngsters spending hours and hours on arcade halls), and you will find out what they think is priority in gaming.

Now some good news for Xbox owners, Pro Evo Soccer is coming this Q4 2004!
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3107

Wasabi

Originally posted by Wasabi
Azrikam, you are stating that XBOX is the best gaming machine, and I'm saying that majority of consumers into console gaming in this world that although PS2 is old, still supports it.

Actually, I just said that it was a great system with some of the best games on the market. (very diplomatic of me, I thought :) ) But you're right about Sony's dominance. Just a testament to their marketing department. (and the strength of several big exclusive games)

Azrikam, maybe I over reacted myself a bit.

Wasabi

Sony is obviously the market leader currently but has done this largely of the back of the success of PS1. The major factor in this has been the dominance of the gaming houses and striking exclusive deals for the best game titles.

However over time Sony’s dominance of major gaming titles is beginning to wane. The lost exclusivity on the Grand Theft auto series, Metal Gear Solid etc. Many more titles are following and this is a trend that will only continue now Microsoft have declared their long term commitment to console gaming – at any cost if necessary.

Personally I wonder how long people will be willing to buy a vastly inferior console just because of the name and a couple of exclusive titles.

Better sound, better graphics much better online capabilities. Each to their own but I will be sticking with Xbox. It is fair to say that even the Xbox lags behind the latest PC technology. And consoles always will as they have a set shelf life unlike PC which are constantly evolving. What it does share is a similar PC architecture making it very easy to develope cross platform games. This is important as it save a load of cash on developing games and will be even more important for the next generation of consoles.

Personally I have always thought of Playstations as “One for the kids” where as Xbox is a bit more of an adults toy with its network capabilities etc. This is probably why there is a heavy bias towards the Xbox on these forums. I know this is a contentious issue and people get very protective over their beloved consoles its just my opinion but I know it is shared by many other people who use these forums.

It really is a non issue to be honest which box you play on as they are simply something you must buy to play the games you want to play.

I personally have always had this view and find it ammusing that these discussions still develop into the playground arguements of "my console is better than yours so ner!". Considering that the only console game i play at the moment is PES3, it's natural that I use either a PS2 or a PC to play it. The PC isn't very practical for lounge based multiplayer gaming (for me anyway) so i use a PS2 to play the game. When PES4 comes out on the X-Box, if it's better than the PS2 version (which frankly given the power of the X-Box it should be) then i'll buy an X-Box to play it on.

It really is that simple folks. If the best version came out on the gamecube then I would buy one of those. As things stand there are still some great genre leading exclusive games on the PS2, which along with it's strong brand value is why it's so popular. If you turn yourselves into childish fanboys for a certain console then you really are biting off your nose to spite your fact.

If games are not really important to you and you just like buying the best piece of kit because it looks nicer on your 20' telle and sounds better on your top of the range 5.1 amp then there is no contest - buy an X-Box.

I personally can't see how my viewpoint is untrue in any way...surely everyone who has an interest in games would buy the hardware required to play the games that they wish to play (cost allowing). Consoles themselves are cheap and many people on this forum would spend more on a speaker than a console so cost shouldn't be a huge factor.

Gotham if you actually played consoles instead of belittling people who enjoy different games than you, maybe you'd have a less skewed viewpoint.

Stop whinging and start playing! :smashin:

Gotham?? Who's he? If that's aimed at me (can't see how) then it's great cause to p155 myself laughing .

Have you ever heard of the word 'hypocritical'? My entire post, and my attitude as a whole is that there is no point being a silly fanboy and that we should all just play the best games no matter what console they are on.

Gotham if you actually played consoles instead of belittling people who enjoy different games than you, maybe you'd have a less skewed viewpoint.

All you do Matt is spurt out how much you love your X-Box, whilst trying to put down the PS2 as much as possible in every post you write! Why don't you stop being a sad X-Box fan boy, stop belittling other console ownersand start enjoying games no matter what format they are on.

If your post wasn't aimed at me then ignore the above :p

Ladies .... please

No handbags on this thread please :p

Originally posted by gthom3
Gotham?? Who's he? If that's aimed at me (can't see how) then it's great cause to p155 myself laughing .

Have you ever heard of the word 'hypocritical'? My entire post, and my attitude as a whole is that there is no point being a silly fanboy and that we should all just play the best games no matter what console they are on.

All you do Matt is spurt out how much you love your X-Box, whilst trying to put down the PS2 as much as possible in every post you write! Why don't you stop being a sad X-Box fan boy, stop belittling other console ownersand start enjoying games no matter what format they are on.

If your post wasn't aimed at me then ignore the above :p

Gota agree 110% from standing over the console forums for a few months without posting theres defo 2 people who are serious xbox lovers, theres no problem with that, but just enjoy the games and dont bash other consoles just because you dont own/like them, all 3 consoles are the best for different people, just except that and talk about the GAMES which are what matter anyway

One thing to remember about the Xbox, is that apart from being a PC in disguise, it feeds Bill Gates evil monopoly. Don't you realise, the mans taking over! The Xbox would have failed along time ago if he hadn't poured tons of money into marketing it, the proof of his greed is that they're selling for below manufacturing cost just to get their foot in the door. But you probably don't care, so go ahead and let him eat pies in his SWAT-proof mansion.

One thing to remember about the Xbox, is that apart from being a PC in disguise, it feeds Bill Gates evil monopoly

That is why it took me so long to buy an xbox - the thought of giving microsoft the money made me shudder. Problem was all of my mates ended up with one! I have a ps2 as well (got it on launch day) and I really like it, but I feel the edge at the moment for me has to be with microsoft due to XBox Live. Most of my mates are spread out all over the place so it is great to be able to flick on the console and play against them - especially with the headset it makes it almost feel like living at Uni again (cept I am not allowed to just chuck the empty beer cans behind the sofa anymore coz Mrs Kro gets cross).

Am definately of the camp tho that they are all pretty similar and it is more a case of buying the console that has the games you want on it. I am just grateful I am in a position to be able to have both the consoles I want.

Originally posted by Paul Atreides
One thing to remember about the Xbox, is that apart from being a PC in disguise, it feeds Bill Gates evil monopoly.

I don't get the "PC in disguise" remark. I don't care if my washing machine is running Windows 3.1 as long as it gets my whites whiter. :)

I'm as big a Microsoft hater as you'll find, but I still bought an Xbox soon after launch. The main reason was that it was great value for money. This is all down to competition and Microsoft wanting a foot in the lucrative console market. Sony is becoming so dominant in the console market (just as MS is in the PC world), that were it not for Nintendo and MS in this round of the console wars:

1) PS2s would be the only viable console
2) Prices for PS2s and games would be sky-high, because of no competition
3) Sony wouldn't be pushed by competition and would be less likely to fund innovation such as the EyeToy and online gaming
4) Sony would sit on the PS2 for a huge length of time, milking the cash cow and console power would stagnate compared to the PC. The PS3 wouldn't be released until they started losing sales to the PC games market

This isn't a dig at Sony. Any other company in the dominant position would do the same.

If the Xbox becomes the predominant console in a few years, you can bet that I'll be lining up to buy the cheapest competitive console, be it from Sony, Nintendo, or whomever. Microsoft may have a monopoly in the PC market, but definitely not in the console market. Sony, however, is coming close. Competition is good for consumers! (I say that so often, I should put it in my signature) It's the same reason why my next PC will be running Linux.

Keep in mind that this entire post is just hypothesis with no facts to back it up. Gotta love the Internet. :D

quick question,why is microsoft perceived as the EVIL empire?? nintendo and sony are not some cuddly company who work for nothing you know lmao.wasnt it sony who started of the demo disc instead of a game with the console?? and nintendo are crippling the small 3rd party dealers with there fixed prices and minimall price margins.

Microsoft is the evil empire, otherwise EU wouldn't fine them $613million for abusing its position regarding its Windows system.

I know, nothing to do with the console war, but the question of evil empire was a general one?

Anyway, I don't think the fine is big enough.

Wasabi

Microsoft is the evil empire, otherwise EU wouldn't fine them $613million for abusing its position regarding its Windows system.

I know, nothing to do with the console war, but the question of evil empire was a general one?

Wasabi

yup should of been 5 Billion lol

Off topic, I know, but I agree. The fine is a huge figure, but as a percentage of sales in the area, it's laughably small.

Sinzer. For the love of God put this thread out of its misery.

lol - Harrisuk - it's not rocket science mate - if a thread doesn't interest you (like many do not interest me on here) then don't read or post on it. The thread was created so people could rant in one specific place, therefore leaving the rest of the forum (hopefully) free of 'my console is better than yours' arguments. As it's 5 pages long it is obvious that several people do have an interest in the thread - just not you.

I simply can't understand people who just constantly make 'yawn' or ':boring: ' comments in threads. The old addage of 'if you have nothing constructive to say then keep your gob shut' comes to mind.

In fact if experience has told me anything it's that the people who simply thing that everything is boring are usually extremely boring themselves. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom