1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which console for 4+8 year olds?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by happychappy, Nov 20, 2003.

?

What console for 8+4 year old?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2003.
  1. P.S.2

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. X-Box

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Game Cube

27 vote(s)
    87.1%
  1. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Father christmas is a coming soon and I would like to know which console to ask for my two kiddytwinks aged 4+8 oh and by the way after being very anti for an awful long time I might even have a go myself!

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Depends what games they like mate, ps2 for sport. xbox/ps2 for driving. gamecube for a bit of everything and your nintendo exclusives. some of the content in games for ps2 is questionable ie; nudity, swearing etc which is beyond me! not too sure about xbox. me personally would go for a cube as it has the most fun/best games that you will enjoy but also the kids will IMHO.

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    might also consider a couple of GBA:SP and pokemon ruby and sapphire and a link up cable - instant silences for hours on end.

Neil.

4. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well a cube would be great for games like Mario and mario kart and other nintendo exclusives, but also games like mario kart will keep the whole family entertained, saying that with the huge range of PS2 games it has more games suitable for kids than the other 2 consoles. Games like Spyro the dragon, Crash Bandicoot, jack and dexter and 100's more will give them hours of fun,

or better still just buy both :)

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    i would say that with games like GTA and many others avoid a PS2.

Gamecubes are great for kids, and my 8 year old cousins will testify. You'd never get them off Monkey Ball or Mario. Perfect fare for kids!

6. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm its abit odd telling someone to avoid a console because it has some adult games on it? i hardly think an 8 year old would get served buying GTA? so it will be there parents who picks the games.

Try going into a games store and see which console has more games in the Kids section ? i would think 5:1 on the PS2 front

Oh dont forget to avoid the gamecube as it has Resident Evil And Eternal Darkness not for kids :)

Either the PS2 of Gamecube would be a wise choice just stay away from XBOX

7. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for all the replys

I think it is a two race horse now between the PS2 & the Gamecube

My youngest(4) has a G.B.A and is getting on o.k. with it my elder child is now 8 and has played with the G.B.A. thus one of these is now on her Christmas prezzie list (she has shown no interest before) I have never played these games before and am a little weary of them due to some bad press but you cant keep children locked up in a cupboard forever!
    On the software front my wife and I will have total control of purchases so we will be carefull with what we buy (only age appropriate )

Do the different consoles display differing qualitys of video i.e. is one better than the other?

I am thinking along the lines of a P.S.2 as I have been told that the Game Cube is to be shortly discontinued?

Thanks in advance:)

8. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For quality wise obviously Gamecube being newer is a more powerful machine and games will tend to look better especially games built from scratch on the gamecube hardware, i would not get worried about gamecube been discontinued thats just all the anti Nintendo people out there who like to spell doom and gloom when things are not going 100% perfect for Nintendo, :D The gamecube will be supported up until at least 2005 when the next round of consoles arrives

If you was going for a gamecube the Mario Kart Double Dash bundle at £99 would be perfect they will play that for days and weeks :)

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I doubt that Nintendo would pull the plug on the Gamecube with the large user base it has, plus the fact that they only stopped producing the Super Nintendo about a year ago! as regards to power and capability it would be XBOX>Gamecube>PS2

10. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    Well, I only have experience of the Gamecube, so I can't comment on the other systems, but I've got 3 kids, one of 4(boy), one 6, and one just 10(both girls), and they all play the cube for as long as we let them. Even my 4 year old will have a run around on Super Mario Sunshine, and he's a whizz at some of the mini games on Super Monkey Ball, where as the 2 girls are fine on the main games as well. The characters tend to be bright, colourful & cartooney, so I'd have no hesitation in recommending a cube. They also all have their own towns in Animal Crossing, which has occupied them for months. It's my little lads birthday next week, and he's seen the adverts for Super Mario Kart, and thats the top of his list. (which is bad news, as I've just bought it for myself, and now the wife is making me save it 'till then :rolleyes:)
    And of course, you have the Gameboy Advances, which you can connect up to many games for extra gameplay & features etc.

Hope this helps

11. JamesOD

JamesOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I work in a games shop and if a parent of children as young as yours come in then we do tend to recommend the Gamecube its a safe choice due to the friendly nature of much of the software and the reliable drive etc.

12. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wow :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your opinions I did not realise what a can of worms I was about to unleash! but its very nice to see that there is a lot of passion involved in gaming and talking about gaming.

Please keep the opinions coming in, some are very constructive in helping make up my mind (looks like a runaway poll though)

:clap:

13. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Another related question folks...

Is the eye toy worth taking into consideration?

Thanks

14. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've cleaned out the crap in these posts. Keep it friendly please and try to be helpful, if you make a statement back it up.

None of the consoles are aimed at a particular market, they are aimed at all the people that they can sell them too. None of the manufacturers can be too choosy. I'd say all the consoles have games for kids, teens and adults. PS-2/Gamecube probably has the widest collection and has the most games that are easier to get into. But the Xbox does have kids games too. If I was going to buy a console for kids I'd buy a gamecube, because most of Nintendo's games are aimed at all ages from kids to adults and are always of high quality.

Regards,
    Neil.

15. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the moral of the story is:

If you want the biggest selection of kids games, Teen games and Mature games (with many being crap or just OK, but also a good selection of excellant games) Get PS2

If you want a moderate selection but better quality list of Kids games, Teen games and Mature games get gamecube

If you want mainly mature games get XBOX (although more and more kids games will be appearing soon since MS said they want to appeal to younger gamers more)

Thats how i see it where would the world be without opinions hey

16. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Oh no this is getting complicated!

I'll start by saying I know NOTHING about games consoles and their abilities.

I was going to buy my kids (4 and 7) an XBOX, mainly for two reasons. Firstly, the excellent offer on at the moment from Dixons, Currys et al. £139 including 4 games. Secondly, they love Midtown Madness 2 on the PC. and MM3 is included in the bundle (and I might get my PC back!)

Is there a similar game on the Gamecube?

As Neil says there are games for all ages on all systems, but there seems to be an opinion that the XBOX is more for adults...is my assumption correct?

17. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right now i would say XBOX is more for adults that may change as MS are changing there strategy slightly,

I am not 100% familier with midtown Madness, so cant comment, the cube does lack on the real racers front but Need For Speed Underground has been getting some good reviews lately and thats on all formats

EDIT just got Need For Speed Underground on PC will report back on sunday once i have tried it

18. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I don't see any difference in the lineup for the PS2 and XBox. Neither system is any more or less "Adult." Both consoles are releasing every game available, with the exception of the exclusives, many of which are still being released just 6-12 months later.

The current games market is too competitive to position your games machine to a certain age bracket. It's not like the old days where a game would be released on the PS and the N64 and the N64 version would be toned down to be more family friendly. The only differences between the consoles you're bound to see these days is the quality of the games.

There's more than enough kid-friendly games on all 3 systems.

19. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understabd what your saying about most new games coming on multi platform, this is almost true apart from PS2 does still tend to get some games others dont as its cheaper to produce a console for 1 console and as the PS2 has the biggest user base it will always be PS2 unless they are paid money to make it exclusive,
    but all i will say is the PS2 has over 1 Years back catalogue of games than neither Gamecube or XBOX have as they arrived later on.

Anyway about Need For Speed Underground just played it, looks very very nice, handles well its a very good driving game no idea how it compares to Midtown madness but as a racer on its own i really enjoyed it.

20. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The PS1 is still a solid purchase as it was in 1995 when it first came out.
    The games are cheap and plentiful and the graphics are still top quality by today's standards.

Rich tee.